Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youth Assembly on Climate Change

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Watched the news tonight

How many working class accents did I hear?

NONE

Working class youth

They want your travel your food and the clothes you wear limited because of the guilt of their privilege lives

Wake up
    It was an application process, so unless you have some evidence that working class kids were denied because of being working class..?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Yes. It's immoral but they don't care because it makes them feel warm fuzzy inside.

Screw everybody else.

That Alma Krass or whatever her name is, going on about about the methane from dairy, what’s the bet she’s a vegetarian?

It was an application process, so unless you have some evidence that working class kids were denied because of being working class..?

It would be interesting to see what the family backgrounds of these applicants are of. I bet they won’t be from families struggling to pay bills or mortgages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Micky 32 wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see what the family backgrounds of these applicants are of. I bet they won’t be from families struggling to pay bills or mortgages.

Or maybe they are....

True, not sure what you can do though if they won't take part.. you can't force people to do something like this. It was an open application process as far as I can see

• Advertisement

Rodin wrote: »
    Or maybe they are....

Maybe they are but it’s highly unlikely.struggling families won’t promote more taxes. Well off and rich families will because they won’t give a toss about the former.

Maybe they are but it’s highly unlikely.struggling families won’t promote more taxes. Well off and rich families will because they won’t give a toss about the former.

So struggling families WILL promote more taxes? Because it's unlikely they won't ?

True, not sure what you can do though if they won't take part.. you can't force people to do something like this. It was an open application process as far as I can see

I think you picked me up wrong there. I wasn’t looking for ways to force struggling families. It’s good if they don’t supporting this farce.

Children from all 26 counties there.
    Some non-white children too.
    I doubt they're all wealthy backgrounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

There's 50 CC YA delegates appearing on the LLS tonight. They might give the audience & Tubridy more details on the proposals they gave in the Dail today when they are in the studio. Although it will be a bit of a tight squeeze tonight because the RTÉ NSO are in the studio to perform with Harry Connick Jr as well. The climate delegates will probably sit in the audience seats or from elsewhere in RTÉ studios.

• Advertisement

I think you picked me up wrong there. I wasn’t looking for ways to force struggling families. It’s good if they don’t supporting this farce.

Ah I thought your concern was for the marginalisation of struggling families. Instead you're happy to see it?

Children from all 26 counties there.
    Some non-white children too.
    I doubt they're all wealthy backgrounds.

I know lots of well off non white people in this country.

So struggling families WILL promote more taxes? Because it's unlikely they won't ?

I said, struggling families won’t be promoting more taxes hence why i said these applicants are more likely from a well off comfortable background.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

The climate change obsession is largely a middle class phenomenon. Why? Because it’s much easier to buy an electric car, install solar, shop at the eco friendly store etc when you have a lot of disposable income than when you don’t.
    The youth parliamentarians are going to be on the Late Late. I hope at least one of them expresses something other than unquestioning belief in climate Armageddon.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    The climate change obsession is largely a middle class phenomenon. Why? Because it’s much easier to buy an electric car, install solar, shop at the eco friendly store etc when you have a lot of disposable income than when you don’t.
    The youth parliamentarians are going to be on the Late Late. I hope at least one of them expresses something other than unquestioning belief in climate Armageddon.

You are going to be disappointed

I know lots of well off non white people in this country.

And many aren't well off.
    Your point?

And many aren't well off.
    Your point?

My point? Like i said i know many that are quite well off so maybe the ones that applied are comfortable, weren’t they nicely dressed for tv ;-)

My point? Like i said i know many that are quite well off so maybe the ones that applied are comfortable, weren’t they nicely dressed for tv ;-)

The country folk who saw the moving statues were dressed in their finest for telly too.

The country folk who saw the moving statues were dressed in their finest for telly too.

Is that from experience? Were you there all dressed up?

Is that from experience? Were you there all dressed up?

Was a show on it last night on RTE.

• Advertisement

Was a show on it last night on RTE.

I saw clips over the years from that shyte, dress code looked normal to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

It's very easy to say that carbon taxes on fuel should increase, but there seems to be little understanding of the consequences of such policies (particularly among the young people whose views are presented in the media). The need to understand that the future they're fighting for will inevitably lead to a lower standard of living in Ireland. If they understand that and the consequences of that well that's their future inheritance. And that's fine.

But it appears to me that there isn't even a skin deep understanding among many young people about this aspect.

I specifically heard one of the young lads say that increasing taxes does nothing but punish people economically especially low income families.

Pretty much said what most of us say on here in that regard, so can’t accuse the entire youth assembly of wanting to raise taxes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Lackey wrote: »
    I specifically heard one of the young lads say that increasing taxes does nothing but punish people economically especially low income families.

Pretty much said what most of us say on here in that regard, so can’t accuse the entire youth assembly of wanting to raise taxes

Really? I must have missed that.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Suppose you go around in your skinny jeans with white runners and no socks thinking you cool type.

mgn wrote: »
    Suppose you go around in your skinny jeans with white runners and no socks thinking you cool type.

Not in the slightest.
    I've proper legs.

Lackey wrote: »

It's even mentioned in their recommendations list to shift the tax burden from the individual to the corporation

• Registered Users Posts: 16,359 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Well they're hardly going to come in with rags like the cast of Oliver.

As an aside, the cynic in me noted the multiple plugs for the Orchestra, aren't they great...don't axe them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Well they're hardly going to come in with rags like the cast of Oliver.

As an aside, the cynic in me noted the multiple plugs for the Orchestra, aren't they great...don't axe them...

Some of the current TDs don't seem to have a problem dressing like Oliver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Really? I must have missed that.

He was on the news yesterday (I think)
    One of the students interviewed,
    I can’t remember his name ...I just remember him because I agreed with what he said.

• Advertisement

It's even mentioned in their recommendations list to shift the tax burden from the individual to the corporation

How would that work? I thought traditionally tax increases get passed on down to the “ customer”.

Advertisement