Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrade from Golf GTI Mk5 to R32 / R Mk7?

• 15-11-2019 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

First time poster. Has anyone upgraded from a Mk5 Golf GTI to a Mk5 R32 or Mk7 R (or anything else with 4WD for that matter)? I've been driving a clean and very well-maintained Mk5 GTI DSG for a couple of years and I'm generally very happy with it (perfect amount power for me), but the lack of grip in the wet can be a bit underwhelming. I've test driven a Mk7 R once but didn't really warm up to it.

I've considered upgrading to a Mk5 R32 but sourcing one in Ireland can be difficult and the motor tax on it is shocking! It sounds great though and would be a very rare car (possibly appreciating in value?).

I'm also worried that if I upgrade to something else and later regret my decision, it will be very hard to find a clean Mk5 GTI again. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

It's a scenario that I'm familiar with, currently driving a MK6 GTI which I absolutely adore but often tempted by the lure of a 7R.

I've driven pretty much every contemporary fast Golf derivative extensively (GTI, GTI PP, GTI CS, R) and while they're all great cars, I find it a difficult pill to swallow to have to get rid of my MK6 and put a considerable amount of cash towards something which is really only marginally better than what I have and will provide almost the same daily driving experience.

Yes, the MK7 & 7.5 feature a lot of improvements over the MK5 & MK6 but I don't think they're that much better.

With regards the R32, it's definitely one of those heart over head decisions. Personally, while I admire them, I couldn't stomach that much tax every year for relatively such little performance. I'd buy an E46 M3 every day over one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

There is a poster here who actually went from a MK5 GTI to a MK5 R32 to MK7 R so hopefully they will see this and give feedback..

If it was me and the heart was winning i'd buy a mk4 R32 over a MK5 all day, they are the only ones that will appreciate in value really and have a serious road presence and are a rarer sight on the roads.

Advertisement