Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dry dog food comparison (puppy)

• 15-11-2019 5:17pm

So, we've been feeding Amanda with James Wellbeloved rice and lamb puppy food since we got her and everything was going well. It's hard to get the bigger bags of the puppy food though, mostly just the 2kg bags for around €14. She's too young still to move up to the junior food at 5 months old, so I was looking at other options.

I went to the PET EXPO there in Swords last week and one of the stalls was for Feedwell dog food, a Northern Irish brand. Got chatting to the rep and I bought a bag of their puppy food for €12.50 that was 8kg in size, which is a huge price difference (1.56/kg vs 7.00/kg). I asked if it was a special expo price or anything and he said no, it's always that price.

The dog loves it.....so much, in fact, that it triggered more alarm bells than the cheaper price. I double checked the ingredients and it stands up well against most of the medium priced foods and some of the premium ones.

495401.JPG

Is there something I'm missing here? Is there any particular reason why this food is so cheap? Is 4% of a difference in protein really that big?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

You said you checked the ingredients but you didnt post them you posted the nutritional values instead. These mean very little. What are the ingredients?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Just had a look at this and if you ask me it’s worse than supermarket brands. No description of ingredients and cereal is first. Pure muck if you ask me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Protein can be increased by adding loads of animal fats, it's what lot of foods do.
    A good food should have named meat first, like lamb, beef, chicken etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

The ingredients for this food, from their website, while amazingly short are not too great:

Whole maize, meat meal, soya oil, milk powder, whole egg powder, vitamins and minerals

The main ingredient is MAIZE - a cheap ingredient, the jury is divided on whether its good or bad for dogs...
    The next ingreatient is MEAT MEAL - this is basically rubbish dried meat and bone dried product from the rendering industry...
    The milk powder and egg powder are there to boost the protein and calcium figures.

What breed is Amanda - I would suggest OP that you spend as much as you can to get the better quality food within your budget - what she eats now will stand to her as an adult dog - especially if she is a large breed requiring good bone/skeletal developement etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Lily's kitchen can't recommend it highly enough

• Advertisement
Advertisement