Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exa-Arcadia

• 15-11-2019 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

Exa-arcadia, new Jamma compatible arcade hardware that uses cartridge based media to run its games. Similar in power to a PS4, a look at its games list and we can see some fighters, shooters, puzzlers and platformers. Some of the games look ok ish.

6xX9DIu.jpg

What do y'all think of this? Ive only just heard about it today, seems interesting. Would love to see it being successful although I'd worry that there is not much of a market for it. It would be great to see developers create some arcade exclusive games though. Apologies if there is a thread on this already, I couldn't find one so thought I'd highlight this.

From their website:

https://exa.ac/en/?v=d2cb7bbc0d23

"exA-Arcadia is bringing video games back to the arcade!

Partnering with talented developers around the world, our mission is to revitalize the global arcade industry utilizing modern technology and services.

We understand what arcade owners want – Affordable, profitable, convertible games
    We understand what game creators want – Reasonable business schemes & Easy access to the Arcade market
    We understand what players want – More Arcade games!

exA-Arcadia is creating a sustainable arcade eco system where arcades can continue to thrive and provide exciting location entertainment for generations to come, where creators can watch players enjoy their games to the fullest and most importantly, where customers of all ages can have fun.

Our international team consists of experienced professionals from across console manufacturers & publishers"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭geotrig

There's a thread on it in AO ,there main market is Asia understandably..
    Out of my price range and no cab to play it even if I could afford it..some nice games coming out on it and shou has the connections for it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

In excess of €3k (estimated at that, minus the horrendous shipping & import duties that will be due on that) for what looks like a modified PC? I've no clue how much jamma stuff costs, but that strikes me as a bit high

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭geotrig

Lemming wrote: »
    In excess of €3k (estimated at that, minus the horrendous shipping & import duties that will be due on that) for what looks like a modified PC? I've no clue how much jamma stuff costs, but that strikes me as a bit high

Motherboard is 3k software about 1500 ea

Never look at what new tekken's and new street fighters cost when launched you might pass out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Inviere

Lemming wrote: »

First thing I thought of when looking at the pic above, it's PC hardware.

Inviere wrote: »
    First thing I thought of when looking at the pic above, it's PC hardware.

Most arcade games of the last 15 years have been Pc based, still can’t beat a good jamma board imho :) but yeah the price is insane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Inviere

Most arcade games of the last 15 years have been Pc based, still can’t beat a good jamma board imho :) but yeah the price is insane

While that's certainly true, this isn't €4,500 worth of a pc though, not if it rivals a PS4 :) Like you, I'd be a lover of bespoke hardware, not only in the arcade space, but home consoles too. These days everything feels like an off the shelf solution, and has no 'unique identity'. The days of custom hardware going head to head with a rival, yeah, long gone now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Yeah heard about this, seems very expensive, it's a good idea for arcades I think but not for the home consumer.
    Unless its gets hacked <shifty eyes>

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That won't be popping up in the bargains thread for some time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭PaulPriest

The CEO is Eric Chung (AKA ShouTime), who is well-known in arcade circles. He's got a _huge_ PCB collection, and is member of the 'Dumping Union' and friendly with MAME developers.
    He's been leveraging his network, and seems to have a solid roadmap of releases that are exclusives or special versions of games coming. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Advertisement