Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thwarting / preventing someone's parallel park

• 15-11-2019 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

I was just sitting in my local GP's waiting room overlooking a main street, a few times I've seen cars approaching a gap in the cars on the side of the street, slow down, indicate and inch forward beyond the opening with the intention of reversing in, and the cars behind drive so far up their hole they come back out their mouth, thus preventing the person from parallel parking.

Dickheads.

This should be a penalty point offense.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Reverse parallel parking doesn't seem to be a concept here. Someone told me its not even (or wasn't) in the driving test (that a lot of people never sat..)

In general (see muppet thread) there is a lack of awareness - people are selfish pricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I think it's mainly stupidity rather than malice, but who knows.

My favourite tho is when it happens people start getting impatient and doing the other great Dublin (Irish) thing of randomly blasting the horn.

This usually happens because the (wrong) assumption is made that when stopping and indicating you are as selfish as the prick up yer hole and you are just stopping at the side to let someone in or out or whatever and will hold up the traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

Luckily I live in a quiet estate in a quiet small town (and at the very back of the estate at that).

Only once or twice has it happened me where I go to reverse up my driveway and some cunt drives up behind me refusing to move, thus forcing me to do a lap of the estate around the roundabout and back.

I've had fcukers nip in to spaces after I've driven past and put her into reverse. Even though they can't park in it properly, and will take a bit of jiggery pokery to enter the space but they sit there looking at you out the window like it's their space now. I've had people park across my only avenue of exit before..... someone did it in the golf club one day and it is only by sheer luck that I spotted him and got him to move it before I had a 4+hr wait on my hands. Look at the amount of people who bang the hazards on and double park outside shops etc.

90% of the time they know exactly what they're doing. People are pricks when it comes to driving and they do whatever the hell they want. "Forget everyone else, I'm doing this because it suits me". I think the vehicles dehumanise it or something......The amount of stuff you see that wouldn't take place in a face-to-face scenario is astounding.

• Advertisement

I think the vehicles dehumanise it or something......

100% - in a vehicle or having distance avoids direct face to face.

Throw in some general language "All XXX are the same" - where we start to group people by vehicle type (Taxis, bus drivers, cyclists, Prius owners, whatever) and we dehumanise further - as we are attacking the homogeneous group rather than the individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

The second stage of this is someone who stops and gives you the space but as soon you start to reverse in they try to go around you as the nose of your car swings out.

One of the many daily reminders that we're among the worst educated drivers in the world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Well on a main street it's easy to just drive in to the parking space instead of blocking up traffic behind you.

Maybe I think differently but it's not hard to reverse out if one's careful, depends on if you're driving straight in or the parking space is parallel to the flow of the traffic.

nthclare wrote: »
    Maybe I think differently

For sure..

Reversing onto a road is discouraged as its far more dangerous.

If the space is open enough to drive in that fine, go for it, but generally to do that "quickly" you would probably have to bounce the kerb. If the space is that small, then you would be far, far quicker to RPP. This would have multiple advantages (assuming it is taught) - more control of the car (steering at the front) and again safer.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

nthclare wrote: »
    Well on a main street it's easy to just drive in to the parking space instead of blocking up traffic behind you.

Maybe I think differently but it's not hard to reverse out if one's careful, depends on if you're driving straight in or the parking space is parallel to the flow of the traffic.

The OP is specificity referring to PARALLEL parking, not herringbone parking.

• Advertisement

Quackster wrote: »
    The OP is specificity referring to PARALLEL parking, not herringbone parking.

ahh - now I see - I didnt think about angled parking, I was wonder how it would work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Crock Rock wrote: »
    I was just sitting in my local GP's waiting room overlooking a main street, a few times I've seen cars approaching a gap in the cars on the side of the street, slow down, indicate and inch forward beyond the opening with the intention of reversing in, and the cars behind drive so far up their hole they come back out their mouth, thus preventing the person from parallel parking.

Dickheads.

This should be a penalty point offense.

You have no right to reverse on a road and during your test if you don't stop when traffic is approaching you will fail. So while it may be inconsiderate they are doing nothing wrong, technically the parallel parker is the one in the wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Del2005 wrote: »
    You have no right to reverse on a road and during your test if you don't stop when traffic is approaching you will fail. So while it may be inconsiderate they are doing nothing wrong, technically the parallel parker is the one in the wrong.

Jesus Ireland is so backwards when it comes to these things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I've had fcukers nip in to spaces after I've driven past and put her into reverse. Even though they can't park in it properly, and will take a bit of jiggery pokery to enter the space but they sit there looking at you out the window like it's their space now. I've had people park across my only avenue of exit before..... someone did it in the golf club one day and it is only by sheer luck that I spotted him and got him to move it before I had a 4+hr wait on my hands. Look at the amount of people who bang the hazards on and double park outside shops etc.

90% of the time they know exactly what they're doing. People are pricks when it comes to driving and they do whatever the hell they want. "Forget everyone else, I'm doing this because it suits me". I think the vehicles dehumanise it or something......The amount of stuff you see that wouldn't take place in a face-to-face scenario is astounding.

There's thread in that somewhere for 'best spot in Dublin for double parking with hazards on
    I'll go for the bookies in Stoneybatter. They often double double park

I'll see your bookies, and raise you the tesco in fairview strand where the cinema used to be

Advertisement