Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time trying to pick my own parts

Options
  • 15-11-2019 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭

Ok so I have been on this forum a few times and there are some really knowledgeable and helpful boardsies here so thanks, I had posted this in a older thread but thinking it may of got missed.

I have decided that I will custom build my daughters PC for christmas, She wants to play apex legends and fortnite mainly but has access to microsoft gamepass. At some point she may need it to be VR ready (so system needs to upgraded in future if required). With that in mind my budget is roughly €500. I have selected the below parts with a hope some parts might drop in price for black friday. Opinions good or bad welcome.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/gKxXvW
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Hiya, your parts come to 550 euro after exchange, just so you're aware.

I'm not a fan of XTX Cards tbh, there are more reliable out there.

For VR the 580 is grand with Rift etc..

Here's a quick list I put together:

Parts are identical, but better ram and a better card. Also upgraded your SSD to 480gb as 256gb is just not enough if your going to be loading games onto it.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor (£106.38 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£53.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£37.98 @ Aria PC)
    Storage: Kingston A400 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£42.35 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card (£169.97 @ CCL Computers)
    Case: Aerocool Cylon ATX Mid Tower Case (£37.38 @ CCL Computers)
    Power Supply: GameMax GP 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£31.32 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £479.37
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-15 19:16 GMT+0000

It's only around £12 more expensive. But for that a better card, better RAM and more storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Hiya, your parts come to 550 euro after exchange, just so you're aware.

I'm not a fan of XTX Cards tbh, there are more reliable out there.

For VR the 580 is grand with Rift etc..

Here's a quick list I put together:

Parts are identical, but better ram and a better card. Also upgraded your SSD to 480gb as 256gb is just not enough if your going to be loading games onto it.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£53.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£37.98 @ Aria PC)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card (£169.97 @ CCL Computers)
    Power Supply: GameMax GP 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£31.32 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £479.37
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-15 19:16 GMT+0000

It's only around £12 more expensive. But for that a better card, better RAM and more storage.

Jesus that looks very good, yeah aware 550 euro but hoping I might bring that down a bit coming up to black Friday , least I have a parts list now to keep and eye on price wise. Thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Spend an extra £5 and get a proper power supply, something like a corsair vs550, evga 500w basic....wouldn't trust gamemax.

Homelander wrote: »
    Spend an extra £5 and get a proper power supply, something like a corsair vs550, evga 500w basic....wouldn't trust gamemax.

Whoops did not mean to leave that on the list. Yeah the vs550 is only £41.49 on Amazon.

A little above your budget but I honestly wouldnt be going lower specs, if you want to leave out the VR then try the RX570 but I'd recommend sticking with the RX580.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair VS 550 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply (£41.49)
    Total: £489.54
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-15 19:31 GMT+0000

It's a good build. If something absolutely has to be compromised on, an rx570 4gb is still a decent card for £120, and its easy to change the graphics card down the line. That would bring it to £440 or so, not too far away from the budget.

I use an rx570 and it plays Apex at 1080p ultra settings at 60fps just fine, my cpu is worse than the 2600 as well but it's not a cpu heavy game, and the 2600 is great for gaming, streaming, vr, or whatever.

• Advertisement

Thanks all, definitely worth the extra 5 pound for a reliable power supply. I'll stick with the 580 gpu but just hope black Friday is kind to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Str4ngeBr3w

If you don't know anything about 1st time builds or hardware?

Myself, I always refer to the expert opinion of Custom PC Magazine.

In Decembers issue they suggest the i3 over the Ryzen, I've compiled a PC Builder list for you (using some of the same things you had chosen in your previous build)

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/bVmGq3 - Maybe this link wont work as I wasn't logged in, so I took a screenshot of it HERE.

If your interested in reading the magazine yourself those details are on page 64.

Admittedly your system is cheaper and ultimately it's your decision but I've always for them to be good.

Good luck with whatever parts you decide to go with. It's always great to hear from people building their own PC's and taking an interest rather than just buying off the shelf junk.

In Decembers issue they suggest the i3 over the Ryzen, I've compiled a PC Builder list for you (using some of the same things you had chosen in your previous build)

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/bVmGq3 - Maybe this link wont work as I wasn't logged in, so I took a screenshot of it HERE.

If your interested in reading the magazine yourself those details are on page 64.

Admittedly your system is cheaper and ultimately it's your decision but I've always for them to be good.

Good luck with whatever parts you decide to go with. It's always great to hear from people building their own PC's and taking an interest rather than just buying off the shelf junk.

You do realise the 8100 is over 2 years old and has only 4 cores and 4 threads compared to the 2600 it is only a year old, has 6 cores and 12 threads.

There is no comparison between the both and I'd highly recommend not choosing the 8100.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i3-8100-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3600/3942vs4040

Yes I do and see your point. I still tend to stick by Customs PC's recommendations

• Registered Users Posts: 28,027 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'm not sure who wrote that article but I'm not sure how anyone can recommend an 8100 over a 2600. Makes no sense to me at all.

Userbenchmark has the 2600 cheaper and faster than the 8100. Add to the fact the Ryzen is a better all rounder and comes with the far superior stock cooler you'd be mad to buy the Intel.

• Advertisement

I had thought is was from a value/pricing perspective but who knows, I take back what I thought was a helpful comment and bare down to your knowledge

I had thought is was from a value/pricing perspective but who knows, I take back what I thought was a helpful comment and bare down to your knowledge

Appreciate the suggestion, custom built 6 years ago and totally need to catch up, the build is for my daughter for Christmas just hope I don't screw it up.

Ryzen 2600 is bulletproof, 8100 doesn't make sense now and to be honest didn't really when it was released either so whoever wrote that article and claimed it was the best budget cpu was smoking crack cocaine. Even when the 8100 was released games were starting to really heavily use more than 4 threads so it would even have made very little sense to recommend it over the original ryzen 1600 in 2017 unless you were focusing on one or two specific games that worked better on intel.

Homelander wrote: »
    Ryzen 2600 is bulletproof, 8100 doesn't make sense now and to be honest didn't really when it was released either so whoever wrote that article and claimed it was the best budget cpu was smoking crack cocaine. Even when the 8100 was released games were starting to really heavily use more than 4 threads so it would even have made very little sense to recommend it over the original ryzen 1600 in 2017 unless you were focusing on one or two specific games that worked better on intel.

Quick question, would a 1080p 32" TV be ok to run this on? No budget to get a monitor at the moment.

Quick question, would a 1080p 32" TV be ok to run this on? No budget to get a monitor at the moment.

It'll work yeah but will have higher input lag, if you can live with that for a while then fire ahead. Check to make sure the TV has HDMI inputs.

It'll work yeah but will have higher input lag, if you can live with that for a while then fire ahead. Check to make sure the TV has HDMI inputs.

Yeah it has 3 hdmi ports, the TV is currently being using for an Xbox and don't notice any lag, would this be.more noticeable with pc games? It's not for me it's for my daughter so don't think she would even notice as she hasn't played mouse and keyboard before either

Yeah it has 3 hdmi ports, the TV is currently being using for an Xbox and don't notice any lag, would this be.more noticeable with pc games? It's not for me it's for my daughter so don't think she would even notice as she hasn't played mouse and keyboard before either

It'll be fine :)

You can connect the xbox controllers to the pc also, just get a cheap bluetooth receiver.

What xbox? If xbox one then you can use the controller with the PC also. Either through the play and charge kit usb cable or with a cheap bluetooth receiver.

That's great news thanks, Xbox one S, and totally forgot she can use the controller to, and she has gamepass ultimate for 2 years so sorted for games. Just hope I don't feck up the build lol

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You can connect the xbox controllers to the pc also, just get a cheap bluetooth receiver.

You're better off getting the official adapter - it's not limited by Bluetooth, no interference & can even connect to Xbox wireless headsets.

Or just use a long USB cable ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If you are buying the aerocool case check amazon, I got one for 30 a few weeks back :)

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    You're better off getting the official adapter - it's not limited by Bluetooth, no interference & can even connect to Xbox wireless headsets.

Or just use a long USB cable ;)

Yeah the play and charge kit has it included as well as a rechargable battery. Would be better than bluetooth, whichever you prefer.

Advertisement