Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Climate Morons on The Late Late Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

How do we know that Co2 levels are the highest in 800,000 years?

Because we are able to measure co2 trapped in ice deep within Antarctica. The earliest ice there dates from that far back.

We don't need to go back 800k years anyway. There has been dramatic increase in co2 levels just over past 100 or so years. Either something truly catastrophic is happening to our planet in such a short space of time or human activity is to blame, it's one or the other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Gynoid wrote: »
    I apologise if I misunderstood you. Sorry.
    Its the holy fools trope I object to. It is the fall back of the propagandist this long time. Let the scientists and inventors and intellectuals inform public debate, and allow free speech and robust discussion. Not this pathetic circus with children as the unassailable shield.

I totally agree with you. I hate how pathetic it is how we as species (certainly in western civilisation where we have little to no meaningful connection with nature) need to be duped into doing the right thing for ourselves.

Every time I see those kids giving lectures or RTÉ giving out lectures on climate change I get annoyed not that they are doing it but that it’s the only way to get through to some people! I really love psychology but I find it makes me have such a poor opinion of humans..... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

rossie1977 wrote: »
    There has been dramatic increase in co2 levels just over past 100 or so years. Either something truly dramatic is happening to our planet in such a short space of time or human activity is to blame, it's one or the other
    Do you know how much CO2 is in the current atmosphere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Ireland is a perfect test subject incubator for green technologies. neo nazi doctrines from their germanic / scandanavian masters.

Small, advanced wealthy working population with a spread between urban and rural, that can be gleaned of more taxes.

What green neo nazism we does here could be rolled out across the world.

Translated your post for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Is there conclusive evidence that climate change is materially man made?

Any evidence I've seen has been inconclusive.
    As far as we know, based on the complete(?) models etc yes so who knows. That said, moving away from fossil fuels, reducing our energy consumption, planting trees, insulating our houses better and reducing emissions are ideas most of us can get behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

vriesmays wrote: »
    Do you know how much CO2 is in the current atmosphere.

415 ppm pretty much twice what it was 100 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

People believe climate change models yet they don't trust the weather forecasts on RTÉ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Motivator wrote: »
    Are these people actually serious with this climate carry on? Why do they all look and sound the same? Specky twats with terrible names and even worse fake accents.

When will this end?

So you're mot happy with their glasses, names or accents? Are you the bully from a Disney film set in a primary school?
    vriesmays wrote: »
    People believe climate change models yet they don't trust the weather forecasts on RTÉ.

Long term trend vs. predicting short term fluctuations.

20Cent wrote: »
    The problem with stupid people is they are too stupid to know they are stupid. Climate deniers fall into this category. Best ignored from now on.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAA...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Guys,

I can fully understand that nobody wants to be told that we must change. They even want to be told less by people half their age.
    And of course our lifestyle messing up the planet is an inconvenient truth to begin with.

But these young people - as annoying and mislead they may seem to you - do have a mandate for their concern simply by their young age. They or their children will have to live with any potential mess we're causing while us old feckers don't.

I will agree that with pollution and climate and extinction crisis nobody knows for sure how soon it will get really bad. But will you please bear with me one moment and look at what I consider to be facts.

1) Population has only ever increased and will continue to do so. It may come to a stop but because people will still thrive to increase their living standards we will continue to require more resources more land more energy.
    2) Land and sea used by us and taken away from nature has only ever increased and will continue to increase.
    3) Wild animals and plants are on a serious decline. Not just world-wide but we can actually observe that in our backyard already.
    4) Pollution is on the increase. So is consumption and waste and energy consumption.
    5) Because of our lifestyle and our economic system that is based on ever increasing production and consumption of stuff all of the above is not going to slow down and naturally arrive at an equilibrium. No, it only ever has accelerated and will continue to do so.
    6) If we continue the way we're gong we will arrive sooner or later at point where irreversible damage is done if we haven't already reached that point

Even if you dont give a sh1t about wild animals and pristine landscapes it seems quite obvious to me that we are part of nature and cannot live without some degree of balance to it. We may be able to survive some time in a critically damaged ecology but I dont think it would be a very pleasant existence.

So I cannot understand how some people refuse to acknowledge all this and call people 'morons' when they express their concerns about it.
    They may act more assured than they truly are about whats proven and whats simply observed and about their timelines and irreversibility but fundamentally they are correct. If we go on like this we will eventually turn this place into a sh1thole.

Do you really not give a damn about that? Do you think this is all a big joke some people make up and coerce others into believing to create some sort of new world order? Do you really believe we will come up with some sort of magic technology that will undo all the damage? Do you really believe we can afford to be so flippant about this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

REPENT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

They need to get back to whatever private school they bunked off of today and learn some manners.

Specky twats.

I know two of the kids parents and neither of their daughters who were at the youth assembly are from private schools, one is Catholic and the other multi-denom. Their schools were also full square behind their involvement in it and proud of their pupils activism as are their parents, so no bunking off.

I suppose some people have to resort to derogatory comments when they don't like the message they're hearing and are in denial. :rolleyes:

And both have impeccable manners btw. They don't resort to puerile name calling when making a point.

Greentopia wrote: »
    I know two of the kids parents and neither of their daughters who were at the youth assembly are from private schools, one is Catholic and the other multi-denom. Their schools were also full square behind their involvement in it and proud of their pupils activism as are their parents, so no bunking off.

I suppose some people have to resort to derogatory comments when they don't like the message they're hearing and are in denial. :rolleyes:

And both have impeccable manners btw. They don't resort to puerile name calling when making a point.
    And some people leap to illogical conclusions and use utterly unfounded claims instead. We can all make points till we blow out gas but where's the plan man? Hemp growing and listen to science seem to be the height of it.

Guys,

I can fully understand that nobody wants to be told that we must change. They even want to be told less by people half their age.
    And of course our lifestyle messing up the planet is an inconvenient truth to begin with.

But these young people - as annoying and mislead they may seem to you - do have a mandate for their concern simply by their young age. They or their children will have to live with any potential mess we're causing while us old feckers don't.

We don't need un-elected green flavor hitler youth style kids, brainwashed by green flavour neo nazi propaganda from germanic and scandinavian counties with a long murky history of same, telling our democratically elected representatives what to do.

The government are just using them as an excuse to put even more taxes on working people so the rich and the corporations get away with paying even less. Dressing something up in green ethics doesn't fool those not so easily brainwashed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I don’t think it was a representative sample of kids these days, it was a culmination of specky twats from around the country with a sprinkle of pakis and blacks to show what a cosmopolitan nation we now are, meanwhile paddy joe age 82 down in ballybackwards who worked hard all his life is forgotten about

paddy Joe is worried that he wasn't invited to a youth assembly?

The ageism of it! :eek:

is_that_so wrote: »
    We can all make points till we blow out gas but where's the plan man? Hemp growing and listen to science seem to be the height of it.

"The height of it", as if just listening to climate experts is nothing? if all governments acted on the warning of the IPPC panel and implemented drastic carbon reduction solutions of course we could do it.

They didn't just make points, they made 10 recommendations to government they want to see implemented as a matter of urgency.

"The delegates made a list of recommendations including a ban on fracked gas, measures to allow Irish goods to be sustainable and affordable and a labelling and pricing system showing the climate impact of food products."

https://www.thejournal.ie/dail-climate-action-4893955-Nov2019/

high_king wrote: »
    We don't need un-elected green flavor hitler youth style kids, brainwashed by green flavour neo nazi propaganda from germanic and scandinavian counties with a long murky history of same, telling our democratically elected representatives what to do.

People often forget that the first thing Hitler did when he got into power was force people to recycle. Barbaric!

Yeah, take back our country for the 82 year olds in ballygobackwards from these young upstarts who are trying to be politically engaged and will have to live with the mess the older generation have made of our planet. The cheek of them. And some of them are dem fureners even! :eek:

• Advertisement

"The height of it", as if just listening to climate experts is nothing? if all governments acted on the warning of the IPPC panel and implemented drastic carbon reduction solutions of course we could do it.

They didn't just make points, they made 10 recommendations to government they want to see implemented as a matter of urgency.

"The delegates made a list of recommendations including a ban on fracked gas, measures to allow Irish goods to be sustainable and affordable and a labelling and pricing system showing the climate impact of food products."

https://www.thejournal.ie/dail-climate-action-4893955-Nov2019/
    Don't get me wrong, I think the idea of this Youth Assembly was a good one to explore the concept and I actively encouraged some much younger family members to apply. But I view it as a type of Scout camp and good for them to do . But beyond that not a whole lot more. The recommendations merely confirm that. If we are supposed to be listening to science why are we bothering with these kids? You really seem to imagine you've stumbled on some level of genius. It reads like any one of a myriad of well-meaning reports out of the Oireachtas, long on aspirations but as usual very low on any practical means of doing so. It's like we're breeding a generation of management consultants.

paddy joe should have been turned into soylent green years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

The government are just using them as an excuse to put even more taxes on working people so the rich and the corporations get away with paying even less. Dressing something up in green ethics doesn't fool those not so easily brainwashed.

Ok....I won’t even go there

But what about the rest of what I wrote?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

paddy joe should have been turned into soylent green years ago

Logan's Run had the best idea, burn them all at 30 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Is there conclusive evidence that climate change is materially man made?

Any evidence I've seen has been inconclusive.

Why does it matter so much? Oh wouldnt it be awful if we created a cleaner, more energy efficient, less polluted and more safe society for our children to live in by adjusting our completely excessive lifestyles. Even if climate change was not man made and just a cyclical natural event it doesnt mean humans havnt completely screwed the planet in other ways such as infesting our oceans with plastic and devastating unique forest and jungle habitats for farming and timber and wiping out countless species of animals, dont need any scientific truth to see that staring you in the face and it needs to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

It's totally irrelevant what Ireland does as regard climate change, We're a tiny speck in world terms making up a fraction of a percent regarding emissions. Ye let's stop eating meat, tax the ****e out of people, avoid driving and air travel, while India and China etc pollute more in a day than we do in a year. Sick and tired of a bunch of no life experience, pampered, spoiled and clueless ****wits lecturing me about climate change. Ireland can do sweet fcuk all about it so stop trying to impose more bollox onto hardworking people's lives. I wonder will those kids be doing without Mammy and Daddy driving them to school and take a walk instead.

• Advertisement

It's totally irrelevant what Ireland does as regard climate change, We're a tiny speck in world terms making up a fraction of a percent regarding emissions. Ye let's stop eating meat, tax the ****e out of people, avoid driving and air travel, while India and China etc pollute more in a day than we do in a year. Sick and tired of a bunch of no life experience, pampered, spoiled and clueless ****wits lecturing me about climate change. Ireland can do sweet fcuk all about it so stop trying to impose more bollox onto hardworking people's lives. I wonder will those kids be doing without Mammy and Daddy driving them to school and take a walk instead.

Do you also not vote during referendums because your tiny insigificant opinion doesnt mean anything and wont make any difference? Do you think if high carbon taxes were introduced people in Leitrim should be exempt because they make up a tiny percent of irelands population and it is dublin that will cause the vast majority of emissions? Of course, that would make no sense ,would it?

It's totally relevant what Ireland does, and what China and India do, because we all share the planet and everybody on it needs to change. But most of all, a country like ireland and other western ones, with proportionately massive carbon emissions compared to much of the rest of the world.

Ok....I won’t even go there

But what about the rest of what I wrote?

Real and significant change starts at the top and tackling the corporate consumerism marketing agenda, not attacking ordinary working people and using green flavour neo nazism tactics and the environment as a cover for even more taxes to make the rich and their corporations even richer. Well meaning dupes think it's about climate change, and that the corporations and rich are starting to listen - they are listening all right, and are going to use it . . but not for what you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,712 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ireland represents 0.06% of the worlds population. What we do in this country has absolutely no impact on the world’s climate. At 36 years of age, I really don’t need to be lectured by some jumped up privately schooled toadface on a Friday evening telling me to buy second hand jeans in order to save the planet.

Good old Boards.ie.

Never forget, if it was up to After Hours, Peter Casey would be president.

Real and significant change starts at the top and tackling the corporate consumerism marketing agenda, not attacking ordinary working people and using green flavour neo nazism tactics and the environment as a cover for even more taxes to make the rich and their corporations even richer. Well meaning dupes think it's about climate change, and that the corporations and rich are starting to listen - they are listening all right, and are going to use it . . but not for what you think.
    :rolleyes:

wakka12 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

If we are listening to science whey are we bothering with these kids? You really seem to imagine you've stumbled on some level of genius. It reads like any one of a myriad of well-meaning reports out of the Oireachtas, long on aspirations but as usual very low an any practical means of doing so. It's like we're breeding a generation of management consultants.

Eh the problem is governments are not listening to the science. Or at the very least they're paying lip service to it and not making the required changes needed.

Other countries are far ahead of us and have implemented some of these recommendations so I don't see why we shouldn't and couldn't here.

The measures I quoted are practical measures that could be taken. We could and should be planting way more trees-and not Sikta spruce but native broadleaf. We should be creating more incentivisation schemes to allow people to be able to afford electric vehicles, such as Norway are doing with 1 in 3 new cars now electric.
    We should be providing more help to the organic sector to help it grow-especially the fruit and veg sector, to European levels of land cover and production and bring down our dependency on imports thereby increasing Irish jobs. We should roll out reverse vending machines nationwide ASAP to allow people to recycle their plastic bottles conveniently and get paid to do so. Again it would provide more jobs here in the manufacture and distribution of these machines.

There's loads of things we can be doing that doesn't have enormous cost implications and in fact would end up saving money for the exchequer and for citizens as well as the environmental benefits.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Take off the tinfoil hat and actually do some reading about the realities of your made up conspiracy theories
    https://www.thejournal.ie/esri-report-carbon-tax-reduce-emissions-4668777-Jun2019/
    A paper published today claims an increase to €30 per tonne on carbon emissions would see an almost 4% drop in emissions, with a gradual increase of up to €80 per tonne by 2030 delivering a 10% drop in carbon emissions.
    However, the paper also examines the ways in which income inequality can be positively impacted by the introduction of increased carbon taxes.

It states that the revenue raised through the increase in carbon taxes could be targeted towards poorer families and reduce income inequality by up to 1% initially, with the gradual tax increases leading to income inequality being reduced by up to 2.8% by 2030.

“One way of recycling the income raised through a carbon tax is by having a carbon cheque, which other countries call flat allocation,” Angel Tovar explained.

“It is a mechanism by which the revenues reach each household evenly but there is also some different administrative costs in this.”

“But the main idea here is instead of giving a cheque, we may be giving money in social welfare transfers to those on lower incomes.

“You can give them the money through means tested benefits which is established already and so you could give them more money and the administrative costs thus get diminished.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Take off the tinfoil hat and actually do some reading about the realities of your made up conspiracy theories
    https://www.thejournal.ie/esri-report-carbon-tax-reduce-emissions-4668777-Jun2019/

journal.ie . .. lol :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's totally irrelevant what Ireland does as regard climate change, We're a tiny speck in world terms making up a fraction of a percent regarding emissions.

You could apply the same logic to voting among other things

journal.ie . .. lol :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

As opposed to your source which is your over active imagination .The research is not done by the journal, most of it is directly quoted from research by the Economic and Social Research Institute . Anyway carry on with your baseless conspiracy theory..maybe just dont try to undermine the efforts of those who actually care about the environment with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The more and more European Countries reduce their carbon footprint the more and more the likes of the USA and China will increase it as a direct response. It will be like '' they reduce, so now we can up production without actually increasing the worlds carbon footprint''

The more and more European Countries reduce their carbon footprint the more and more the likes of the USA and China will increase it as a direct response. It will be like '' they reduce, so now we can up production without actually increasing the worlds carbon footprint''

Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Translated your post for you.

Grow up.

That post makes zero sense. Another person who can't seen boyond their own nose

Grow up.

Green Neo Naziism..great tagline though, really helps to justify their bizarre unjustified animosity towards people trying to make the environment a cleaner and safer place. For all the talk from these people criticising climate advocates for being snowflakes with no real problems of their own to contend with, equating their actions with the brutality of Naziism has to surely be the most snowflake thing going

Grow up.

Actually you mean I can, hence the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭moonage

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Co2 levels on the planet are highest in 800,000 years and have seen massive spike over past 125 or so years.

Co2 levels remained around 250-280ppm for last thousand or so years until 1900

CO2 got to the dangerously low levels of 180ppm in the distant past. At about 150ppm plant life stops and life on the planet ends.

The present levels of CO2 are nothing to worry about and are good for the greening of Earth.

Eh the problem is governments are not listening to the science. Or at the very least they're paying lip service to it and not making the required changes needed.

Other countries are far ahead of us and have implemented some of these recommendations so I don't see why we shouldn't and couldn't here.

The measures I quoted are practical measures that could be taken. We could and should be planting way more trees-and not Sikta spruce but native broadleaf. We should be creating more incentivisation schemes to allow people to be able to afford electric vehicles, such as Norway are doing with 1 in 3 new cars now electric.
    We should be providing more help to the organic sector to help it grow-especially the fruit and veg sector, to European levels of land cover and production and bring down our dependency on imports thereby increasing Irish jobs. We should roll out reverse vending machines nationwide ASAP to allow people to recycle their plastic bottles conveniently and get paid to do so. Again it would provide more jobs here in the manufacture and distribution of these machines.

There's loads of things we can be doing that doesn't have enormous cost implications and in fact would end up saving money for the exchequer and for citizens as well as the environmental benefits.
    Sez you! They are not measures, they are demands and demands that have no realistic grasp of just how long things take to get done but such is the enthusiasm of youth. We already have a plan, imperfect as it is. Making it better strikes me as a far better approach.

Logan's Run had the best idea, burn them all at 30 :pac:
    Very eco policy in fairness

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Deniers really are a strange lot

Talia-Woodin-@taltakingpics2-min.jpg?resize=940%2C627&ssl=1

In Clinical Psychology this is known as Projection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

MrAbyss wrote:
    actually we 'cynical of globalist agendas' lot are not the strange lot. We are the overwhelming majority of the population. Having the celebs and media pundits on your side is merely a confirmation bias more than a fact of life.

I'm actually a very strong critic of globalist ideologies myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭skallywag

I'm sure you're an intellectual giant yourself OP, and you've got a detailed and rigorous explanation for climate change.

So the climate has changed compared to when exactly?

5 minutes ago?
    1 year ago?
    50 years ago?
    1 million years ago?
    2 billion years ago?

Sez you! They are not measures, they are demands and demands that have no realistic grasp of just how long things take to get done but such is the enthusiasm of youth. We already have a plan, imperfect as it is. Making it better strikes me as a far better approach.

Planting trees are demands? :pac: like I said, if other countries can do these things so can we.

What plan are you talking about?

- is good enough reason to bury the heads in the sand and say we shouldn’t do anything and denounce the messengers.

Pretending what people with genuine concerns are saying . . those who have seen all these trojan horse tactics before, and recognise them for what they really are . . . does not help your case.
    People are not insignificant because there is so many of them. Corporations will start to change when they realise their customers expect something different from them. And ultimately it’s us the people who need to consume differently.

And yet instead we're being told by the government the "solution" is buying 40 grand electric cars regularly, and 40 grand high tech heating systems . . and buying more and more, that only the well off can afford, while those that can't afford the high tech, high cost consumer alternative, have to pay more extortionate taxes so the rich don't.

A few years ago it was all about saving the broken banking system (actual outcome : saving the rich, banking system still broken worse than ever) . .now its all about saving the broken environmental system (actual outcome: saving the rich, environment broken bad as ever)

Planting trees are demands? :pac: like I said, if other countries can do these things so can we.

What plan are you talking about?
    We are planting trees, forests are at their highest levels in 350 years, still low at 13.5% but aiming for 20% and Bruton wants to plant 22m of them, 600K native over the next three years. The Climate Action Plan.

• Advertisement

skallywag wrote: »
    So the climate has changed compared to when exactly?

5 minutes ago?
    1 year ago?
    50 years ago?
    1 million years ago?
    2 billion years ago?

Before it started shifting towards a point where it will eventually make the world inhospitable for us(and it's other non human inhabitants) to live in

Advertisement