Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When you renew health insurance is there a cooling off period

• 15-11-2019 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭

Suppose you renew your health insurance or it automatically renews what rights do you have once the cover period starts to cancel it and get a refund. Like if you wanted to cancel 10 days into it would it be allowed and you’d get almost a refund.

VHI is the company.

To be clear on this issue the insured is a dying woman with a few weeks left and the renewal date is the 10th of December.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Forever21

You have 14 days cooling off from renewal date . Example, my policy renewal is 1st December so I’ve until 14th December to make changes . Give them a ring & they tell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Forever21 wrote: »
    You have 14 days cooling off from renewal date . Example, my policy renewal is 1st December so I’ve until 14th December to make changes . Give them a ring & they tell you.

And you’d get a full refund if you cancelled on the 14th?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Forever21

I’d presume you would. Ring them tomorrow to find out. I normally pay mine by direct debit & only rang today to change plans & was told I had 14 days cooling off after policy renewal so I had until 14th December to change things .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Sorry for the difficult time you are going through. Just my observation on the situation, as heath insurance is not my forte

If the person is passing, why would you let the policy renew?. The only thing I can think of is that current care is being paid under the policy and will continue after the renewal date. If the policy is being relied on after the renewal date, you won't be entitled to use the cooling off option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Sorry for the difficult time you are going through. Just my observation on the situation, as heath insurance is not my forte

If the person is passing, why would you let the policy renew?. The only thing I can think of is that current care is being paid under the policy and will continue after the renewal date. If the policy is being relied on after the renewal date, you won't be entitled to use the cooling off option.

You’re basically right, I don’t think we should renew but just in case I don’t want to mess up by not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,809 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Dots1982 wrote: »
    You’re basically right, I don’t think we should renew but just in case I don’t want to mess up by not.

The VHI will give a refund in relation to the unused period if an insured person dies during the term as far as I know.

If it were me I would not cancel that policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45 muminpajamas

Sorry to hear that you are going through a very difficult time. The only reason I can see to cancel the private healthcare insurance would be if you are not using it all and aren't making any claims. Have you got medical cards? If not you could generate some bills for hospital care but I think these are capped at 850 euro per year? Have you spoken to the hospice about cost. Our local hospice doesn't charge but this could be different in your area. Also you may be able to get carer's coming to the house which may be HSE funded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Brian201888

They'll cancel it from the date of death anyway so if it's being used during this time then just leave it running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You feel pressured into organising everything. But I would not change anything until a few weeks after someone passing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Dots1982 wrote: »

What did you mean when you said poster Eggs for Dinner was 'basically right'? His post wasn't a single statement that you could agree or disagree with.

If your relative is receiving care which the VHI is paying for then you should let the policy renew. Even if the woman is now in a public facility which is free, you may get an option to move her to a private care facility which might be closer to her nearest and dearest or which can maybe provide a better standard of care with better privacy and/or a nicer environment for her and her visitors.

Keep your options open would be my advice - renew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

coylemj wrote: »
    What did you mean when you said poster Eggs for Dinner was 'basically right'? His post wasn't a single statement that you could agree or disagree with.

w.

I think the OP meant I assessed his circumstances correctly. A bit trigger happy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

What did you mean when you said poster Eggs for Dinner was 'basically right'? His post wasn't a single statement that you could agree or disagree with

Disgusting comment

Have a bit of tact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Disgusting comment

Have a bit of tact

Only here a month and you're dishing out abuse. It was a question, not a comment.

Did I display the same lack of tact in the second paragraph of my post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Only here a month and you're dishing out abuse. It was a question, not a comment.

Did I display the same lack of tact in the second paragraph of my post?

Abuse?

Oh dear

Advertisement