Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scooter on Dual-Carriageway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Hey

Just a quick one, is there any restrictions on scooter in dual carriageway?

I mean scooters like this,
    https://www.bikeworld.ie/site/motorcycle/sym-fiddle-iii-50/
    not a e-scooter

Pretty sure you need to be above 50cc (actual papers on scooter will probably be 49cc) .... Wait... Dual carriageway should be ok - need to be above 50cc for motorway, although on a 50cc bike you are going to be overtaken regularly and possibly causing traffic delays..... Try get an 80cc or a 125cc

• Registered Users Posts: 22,300 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Only restriction is on motorways. And your tolerance for being giggled at. A lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Well since you can cycle a push bike on dual carriageways I'm going to say the answer is yes, it's legal for a scooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Model: Fiddle

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

tuxy wrote: »
    Well since you can cycle a push bike on dual carriageways I'm going to say the answer is yes, it's legal for a scooter.

No, a motorway has different regulations to a dual carriageway. Motorways are restricted to vehicles >50cc, that's 49cc, and the vehicle needs to be able to do exceed 50kph, which if the OP is buying as a moped it can't do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Del2005 wrote: »
    No, a motorway has different regulations to a dual carriageway. Motorways are restricted to vehicles >50cc, that's 49cc, and the vehicle needs to be able to do exceed 50kph, which if the OP is buying as a moped it can't do.

I suggest you read the post you quoted again....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Yes it is but typically a dual carriageway will be 100kmph, you'll be run off the road, not very safe. Especially with the lack of consideration given to anyone on 2 wheels now a days.

You quoted my post that was only about dual carriageways and started talking about motorway laws,
    why did you start off saying "no" as if my info is incorrect,it makes no sense.
    I don't believe you read my post correctly.

I cycle both N road(also usually 100 km/h) and dual carriageways and I'm still alive.
    I do avoid dual carriageways when possible but it won't stop me from getting where I want to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭listermint

zubair wrote: »
    Yes it is but typically a dual carriageway will be 100kmph, you'll be run off the road, not very safe. Especially with the lack of consideration given to anyone on 2 wheels now a days.

I don't think that was the question though.
    It's entirely legal. Entirely.

listermint wrote: »
    I don't think that was the question though.
    It's entirely legal. Entirely.

Didn't mean to quote you but it wouldn't be much of a forum if we didn't include additional and sometimes valuable insights. I answered the question, I didn't hijack the thread which is typical in this forum.

• Advertisement

Didn't mean to quote you but it wouldn't be much of a forum if we didn't include additional and sometimes valuable insights. I answered the question, I didn't hijack the thread which is typical in this forum.

You're a member since 2007 and you don't know how to quote correctly.
    In your first post in the thread you claimed someone was giving out false information, who was the directed at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

I drove a 49cc moped from the Jack Lynch Tunnel to the Kinsale Road Roundabout long before the 3 flyovers were in place. Never had an issue with it legally speaking

You're a member since 2007 and you don't know how to quote correctly.
    In your first post in the thread you claimed someone was giving out false information, who was the directed at?

What are ya on about lad?

What are ya on about lad?

This

Del2005 wrote: »

You said my info was incorrect. What do you think I got wrong?
    Then you tell listermint you didn't mean to quote them so I can only guess you did mean to quote me.

This

You said my info was incorrect. What do you think I got wrong?
    Everything tuxy :pac:

I actually think I finally know what he's on about. He didn't mean to quote me and wanted to explain to the OP that a motorway has different rules from a dual carriageway.
    He made a balls of the post, quoted me by mistake and then mistook another poster for me when he tried to explain what he did wrong.

Member since 2007.....

I actually think I finally know what he's on about. He didn't mean to quote me and wanted to explain to the OP that a motorway has different rules from a dual carriageway.
    He made a balls of the post, quoted me by mistake and then mistook another poster for me when he tried to explain what he did wrong.

Member since 2007.....

I don't know about that now...
    Surely it was another poster that you meant no?

blade1 wrote: »
    I don't know about that now...
    Surely it was another poster that you meant no?

Twas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

How come you wouldn't consider a 125cc bike instead?

I use 125cc going to and from work. Dual carriageway and m50.

https://www.donedeal.co.uk/all?words=125%20scooter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I love these "one hit wonder" posters....he's long gone and here ye are bickering over nothing......:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I love these "one hit wonder" posters....he's long gone and here ye are bickering over nothing......:P

My dad drives a taxi.

My dad drives a taxi.

dont get me started on taxi drivers................:p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

endacl wrote: »
    Only restriction is on motorways. And your tolerance for being giggled at. A lot.

By big men in effeminate SUVs?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I rode a Piaggio NRG 50 from Dublin to Kerry and back in same day....

I rode a Piaggio NRG 50 from Dublin to Kerry and back in same day....

Pussy.............bet you wont do it on a Panigale...in comfort..:D

The OP probably hit a rider on the M50 and was was looking for a way out.....

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Japcati2020

Stupid and dangerous idea to even think of putting a weak little scooter on a dual carriageway or a motorway.
    Too slow and an accident in the making for both scooter rider and other road users.
    You will be blown off it by passing lorries. Or end up under their wheels

Nice n handy 400cc yoke for the nip back up to "Dubland"

Stupid and dangerous idea to even think of putting a weak little scooter on a dual carriageway or a motorway.
    Too slow and an accident in the making for both scooter rider and other road users.
    You will be blown off it by passing lorries. Or end up under their wheels

Never been on the N11 then....cyclists (regularly) joggers, pikeys with their dogs.....their dogs with no pikey.....cars belting down the hardshoulder....its a circus...and the clowns are the bronze who only stop bikers...:rolleyes:

Never been on the N11 then....cyclists (regularly) joggers, pikeys with their dogs.....their dogs with no pikey.....cars belting down the hardshoulder....its a circus...and the clowns are the bronze who only stop bikers...:rolleyes:

Yep seen all that.aswell as some stupid twats on little 50cc yokes that were too slow for the traffic with trucks having to suddenly pull out of the slow lane and overtake them due to them being that slow on their scooters.
    Accident waiting to happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Lol that is a gas post:pac: Must be feckin bedlam, yeah I heard there's a few wasps with a mad hard on for bikers out that road!

Advertisement