Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parental leave Civil Service

Options
  • 16-11-2019 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hoping someone might have some experience on this, hoping to contact the Union on Monday.

I've requested to take Parental Leave of one day per week for the next few months, amounting to 7 weeks in total, or 35 days. When I first mentioned it to work they said it was 'very unlikely' it would be granted. They have now come back saying I can have 25 days, but these are not consecutive - some months I would be working full weeks. I've also been told I couldn't take it during Easter or July as others may want time off. This wouldn't work for childcare reasons.

I'm just wondering can this be done? I know that Parental Leave cannot be denied, only postponed as it is a statutory entitlement. Does this apply when taking it in one day blocks also?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

• One continuous period of leave or
    • 2 separate blocks of a minimum of 6 weeks each
    • If your employer consents, broken into working days and/or hours

What you are describing would seem to require the employer to consent. They can't deny it if you wish to take it in blocks or one continuous leave.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/parental_leave.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

missy_t wrote: »
    Hoping someone might have some experience on this, hoping to contact the Union on Monday.

I've requested to take Parental Leave of one day per week for the next few months, amounting to 7 weeks in total, or 35 days. When I first mentioned it to work they said it was 'very unlikely' it would be granted. They have now come back saying I can have 25 days, but these are not consecutive - some months I would be working full weeks. I've also been told I couldn't take it during Easter or July as others may want time off. This wouldn't work for childcare reasons.

I'm just wondering can this be done? I know that Parental Leave cannot be denied, only postponed as it is a statutory entitlement. Does this apply when taking it in one day blocks also?

Thanks in advance

One block or 2 blocks requested they can only postpone. Anything else, such as taking one day a week etc. is entirely up to the employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 missy_t

Thanks all

That's the info I needed. Might need to rethink my plans so!

Advertisement