Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fruit or veg that's inedible

Options
  • 16-11-2019 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Am sick of buying multipacks of fruit or potatoes and finding most of them are inedible. Because theyre usually less than a euro, I never return. Tell myself to buy loose but am always tempted by the special offers in the various supermarkets. Does anyone else bring these back or do ye just write off as a bad gamble also?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Also annoying if you buy swedes turnip and it is black in the middle! I generally buy loose - that way you can check

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Aldi's and Lidls are notorious for crap fruit and veg seems to almost discompose when you leave the supermarket lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Aldi's and Lidls are notorious for crap fruit and veg.

I never have an issues with fruit or veg from either of those supermarkets.
    You sure you're not just picking the bad stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Punnet of physalis always has a diseased one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

seefin wrote: »
    Am sick of buying multipacks of fruit or potatoes and finding most of them are inedible. Because theyre usually less than a euro, I never return. Tell myself to buy loose but am always tempted by the special offers in the various supermarkets. Does anyone else bring these back or do ye just write off as a bad gamble also?

Bags of feg /fruit is usually washed and then bagged this cause it to decay quicker when it is interduced to warm conditions.
    Best thing to do is empty from bag rewash and let drain till dry then refrigerat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I gave up on packaged fruit or veg from supermarkets years ago - too much spoiled and the quantities in some packages led to waste. I buy loose in a greengrocers now. I can select the quality and quantity I want, rarely have any gone off or wasted. Ended up better value and better quality in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

Buy the loose stuff.

i dont have any issue with fruit and veg from lidl/aldi vs tesco. i regularly use all 3. i dont mind taking my time, checkign datws, and lifting the box to get at the stuff underneath.

but they are perishable. Are you simply buying to far ahead? Can you make smaller but more frequent shops, and before selecting fuit/veg make a meal plan to use them ensure you have the other bits, and try to use them sooner!

Advertisement