Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duke of York BBC Interview

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Inquitus wrote: »
    "Prince Andrew stepping back from royal duties for "foreseeable future" following Epstein scandal"

So seeing how they aren't a shower of parasites and they actually work really hard for their money, i assume he'll be taking a considerable pay cut seeing as he is now officially doing fúck all?

The Haugheys or the Healy Raes of this world can only dream of having necks this brassy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

So seeing how they aren't a shower of parasites and they actually work really hard for their money, i assume he'll be taking a considerable pay cut seeing as he is now officially doing fúck all?

The media is reporting that he will no longer receive the salary of £249,000 that he got for performing royal duties.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

The media is reporting that he will no longer receive the salary of £249,000 that he got for performing royal duties.

I still doubt we will see him hanging around Piccadilly with a McDonald's Cup either....

They are one of the richest families in the world. Government salaries are mere window dressing, they can't even pay tax ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

not what the BBC are reporting. the £249,000 comes from the Privy Purse i.e. the Queens private income. His money from the Sovereign Grant (public money that covers the cost of him carrying out official royal duties) will stop.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-50498156

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Colsin91

not what the BBC are reporting. the £249,000 comes from the Privy Purse i.e. the Queens private income. His money from the Sovereign Grant (public money that covers the cost of him carrying out official royal duties) will stop.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-50498156

When the Queen dies, will the family have to pay inheritance on the Queen’s private income?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Colsin91 wrote: »
    When the Queen dies, will the family have to pay inheritance on the Queen’s private income?

well no. you dont pay inheritance tax on income.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The 250k is toilet paper to him, he's up to his eyes in unexplained cash, he just spent 15 million on a ski chalet.

Colsin91 wrote: »

No, it is my understanding that her wealth is consumed in a trust.

The British Royal family are tax exempt as far as I understand.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

IIRC and I could be wrong I, the queen is, but the rest were taken off that tax free list ages ago.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Surely there's a decent chance he ends up in jail if they investigate this to its fullest, that said a number of high profile US people are also in the potential firing line, so maybe there is no political will to start pulling at the threads to unravel the truth. It is rumoured after all that Epstein was in the blackmail game and had video recordings of a variety of people breaking the law with regard to sex with minors.

It is pretty clear anyways that Andrew was lying, so if the FBI does come after him and he testifies, there must be all sorts of evidence in his official calendars, diaries, phone logs etc. that could come to bear, and would do him no favours. For instance he claims he stayed with a Birtish diplomat in NY one of the nights he allegedly slept with Virginia Giuffre, said diplomat cast doubt on that alibi today. As for not being able to sweat, there are plenty of pictures of the Duke looking like a sweaty mess at a variety of nightclubs in the early noughties.

EJhkyZ2XkAERsd2.png

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    IIRC and I could be wrong I, the queen is, but the rest were taken off that tax free list ages ago.

The Queen certainly is. As is all her Assets etc. You have to remember that she is the honorary owner of a lot of "state" owned properties as well.

I am not totally sure about her off-spring if I am honest. However I am sure they employ some fairly robust tax plans to make sure any potential liabilities are minimized.

They mostly all live in Kensington palace for starters. I mean it is not as if Randy Andy needs any pocket money ? Apart from the hookers, where else is he spending the money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

EJhkyZ2XkAERsd2.png

Who poured water over him, can't be sweat surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Surely there's a decent chance he ends up in jail

Where, in the U.S?
    Does he have diplomatic immunity and if so under what circumstances would it be removed?

I would imagine he would need to be extradited to the US to enable the FBI to speak with him. They have no jurisdiction outside of the US.

Get over yourselves if you think the son of the Queen of England is going to face questioning by the FBI, please get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

tuxy wrote: »
    Where, in the U.S?
    Does he have diplomatic immunity and if so under what circumstances would it be removed?

This was the legal opinion I read on whether he has immunity or not, it seems he has a weaker claim to immunity than the US woman who did a runner back to the states after killing the poor lad on the motorcycle.
    That is even if he has diplomatic immunity in the first place. The children of a Head of State do not have immunity under the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations. It is generally accepted that they do often enjoy such immunity, but this is not contained in any international treaty and most experts in public international law do not even think it reaches the bar of customary international law, rather reaching the lower standard of comity – what states usually do in friendly co-operation. Comity can be argued in an international court, but it is the weakest form of international law below treaty law and customary law. Comity in this case boils down to no more than the notion that Donald Trump would not want Andrew in the dock in Florida, because he would want Ivanka to be protected from ending up in the dock in London.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I would imagine he would need to be extradited to the US to enable the FBI to speak with him. They have no jurisdiction outside of the US.

Get over yourselves if you think the son of the Queen of England is going to face questioning by the FBI, please get a grip.

The FBI has an office in London and if he volunteers to speak with them, then they can interview him.

The Queen certainly is. As is all her Assets etc. You have to remember that she is the honorary owner of a lot of "state" owned properties as well.

You’re thinking of the Crown Estates. They are all owned by the state not the monarch. The monarchy handed them all over in exchange for an annual allowance.

Aegir wrote: »
    The FBI has an office in London and if he volunteers to speak with them, then they can interview him.

I'm sure his advisors will be keen to see him interviewed by the FBI now that they know he is so adept when it comes to such things.
    Can you imagine them trying to extridite him and ****show the court case and appeals would be? It's not happening.
    Going after Ghislaine Maxwell would get better results with less effort, that's if the desire is really there to follow up on this.

Where? I am sure he is itching to get down and have a chat.

He better have more time to read over and rehearse his answers than the BBC gave him.
    The guy is obviously not a fast learner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

The FBI has the original photo of Andrew with his arm around Virginia Roberts' waist and should be in a position to determine whether it is authentic or faked (as he claims).

The FBI has the original photo of Andrew with his arm around Virginia Roberts' waist and should be in a position to determine whether it is authentic or faked (as he claims).

The photo was taken in London so it's none of their business :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Think they have some permanent staff and an office at the USEmbassy or somewhere, it would only take a few minuites for him to drive the £150,000 Bentley over for a quick chit-chat.

I think with Epstein dead they are struggling to make a case anyway. They have all these depositions, well according to the internet they do. I mean what could they have on him at this point apart from testaments from people he can simply deny ever knowing? It is going to be his word against whoever? They would have to confirm and prove some sort of prostitution ring. That will be difficult to prove at this point.

The big coup is the media one. He is now finished and his name forever tarnished. But I doubt he ever faces prosecution. I just cannot see how without his cooperation. He can flat deny deny deny and deny until his grave. No sweat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭bmc58

As he did a self serving interview with the BBC he must speak to the FBI if he is requested.

I think with Epstein dead they are struggling to make a case anyway.

Since they let Ghislaine Maxwell slip away so easy it would seem they never tried to make a case out of this.

Since they let Ghislaine Maxwell slip away so easy it would seem they never tried to make a case out of this.

I am not so sure. Officials in the US have tried to open sealed documents which detail civil actions made against her by various victims involved. She paid most of them off in exchange for their silence. But I understand that the US are trying to access these deals that were apparently closed for ever, this was part of Epstein's prosecution. But with Epstein now dead they may have lost the ability to open up these agreements?

I am not so sure. Officials in the US have tried to open sealed documents which detail civil actions made against her by various victims involved. She paid most of them off in exchange for their silence. But I understand that the US are trying to access these deals that were apparently closed for ever, this was part of Epstein's prosecution. But with Epstein now dead they may have lost the ability to open up these agreements?

Lawyers are after Epstines estate, the victims know they won't get real justice so will only have this route open to them.
    I can see this playing out in a civil court but not a criminal one. I'm fairly sure they let Ghislaine go, why have they not at least questioned her?

Lawyers are after Epstines estate, the victims know they won't get real justice so will only have this route open to them.
    I can see this playing out in a civil court but not a criminal one. I'm fairly sure they let Ghislaine go, why have they not at least questioned her?

She is a UK citizen for starters. There is no crime in being someone's girlfriend.

It looks like a lot of Epstein's original US conviction was for statutory rape. He plea bargained for this in exchange for lenient sentencing. At that point they did not need her. It is highly plausible that she may have been cooperating with US authorities for years, in exchange for her freedom?

It is also possible that they wanted to keep her sweet for a larger prosecution of Epstein. Either way she has not been charged with anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Berserker5

Less chance of him co-operating now that he's withdrawn from public life

Advertisement