Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW replacement key cost

• 16-11-2019 3:15pm
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoping someone can put me out of my misery and tell me how injurious to the wallet this is likely to be.

My husband lost his car keys yesterday. We have a spare but I would be worried something would happen that and so we need to replace the other one. Rang Joe Duffy and their parts section is closed til Monday.

It’s a 2012 X1 and the key looks like the one in the pic attached. I’m assuming it’ll be in the 100s? :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Check your car insurance policy, it might cover replacing lost or stolen keys.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

€200-€250 from BMW.
    May be a little less from the likes of Autokey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭tphase

kceire wrote: »
    €200-€250 from BMW.
    May be a little less from the likes of Autokey.
    I was told it would cost about €400 (for a 2015 F11)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Have a read of this, then ring them for a price.

Please report back. I swear this guy was half the price with no messing (unlike some named on this thread)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058008998

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I have one of those keys spare from an e60 5 series I sold last year, gave the new buyer 2 keys and a 3rd then turned up in a drawer months later I had forgotten about. If they can be coded to a car (I'm not sure if this is possible or not) I'll sell it to you cheap!! I think they're all the same it just slots into the dash and then press the start button

On the e39 I had before that I thought I'd lost the only key I had for it and it got quotes of about 250 quid from auto key I think it was to replace it. And that was an actual metal key, not a fob like this one.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Thanks everyone! Joe Duffy got back to me and it'll be €350 from them, so if we do need a new one I'll definitely be looking at some of the options mentioned here!

The security guard in my husband's office said there was a set of keys handed in so fingers crossed they're his!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Nothing worse than having lost a car key, whoever finds it could be walking around plipping it until they find yours. I'd look into your insurance and if covered get all the locks changed.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

He got them back! They’d been handed in to security, thank feck!

Thanks for all the help everyone!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

tphase wrote: »
    I was told it would cost about €400 (for a 2015 F11)

Your F11 has the newer comfort access key with keyless go.
    The OP, has a 2012 X1 with the old fashioned plug in key. I’ve bought many over the years.

Advertisement