Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ableist ?????

Options
  • 16-11-2019 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

Dont get me wrong Sinéad Burke is an amazing lady and inspiration for everyone to look up to, but is there anything people cannot get offended by ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Dont get me wrong Sinéad Burke is an amazing lady and inspiration for everyone to look up to, but is there anything people cannot get offended by ?

Care to expand on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Theres so many new ‘ists’ in the lexicon , pay no heed, just more of the professionally outraged. Twitter and the op ed section of papers are just full of the professionally outraged now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Theres so many new ‘ists’ in the lexicon , pay no heed, just more of the professionally outraged. Twitter and the op ed section of papers are just full of the professionally outraged now.

Professional,is probably the key.

Sinead is doing well at the oul interviewing,irrespective of what Fianna Fáil might do.....:)

http://www.westwoodonepodcasts.com/pods/as-me-with-sinead/

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

there are an ever increasing number of professional advocates for various causes and identities. always follow the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Infrastructure to make people with handicaps that prevent them from living a normal life is good however do not stat demanding normal people need to change drastically. This goes for all these woke minority concepts.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,126 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Infrastructure to make people with handicaps that prevent them from living a normal life is good however do not stat demanding normal people need to change drastically. This goes for all these woke minority concepts.

So when you say 'change drastically', would you consider not suggesting that other people are not 'normal' as being a drastic change? Or how about not using offensive and dated terminology like 'handicaps' - would that be drastic too?

Or you could just follow the boards.ie rule of 'don't be a dick'. If you're not being a dick, you won't find many people getting outraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

gotta keep attention on your issue keeps the grant money/donation/appearance money coming in.
    Applies not only to Sinead Burke but to all campaigning types.
    Especially important to get your hands on those government grants.

paw patrol wrote: »
    gotta keep attention on your issue keeps the grant money/donation/appearance money coming in.
    Applies not only to Sinead Burke but to all campaigning types.
    Especially important to get your hands on those government grants.
    What grant money/donation/government grants has Sinead Burke received?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

So when you say 'change drastically', would you consider not suggesting that other people are not 'normal' as being a drastic change? Or how about not using offensive and dated terminology like 'handicaps' - would that be drastic too?

Or you could just follow the boards.ie rule of 'don't be a dick'. If you're not being a dick, you won't find many people getting outraged.

Take your own advice stop labelling people with offensive terminology.

• Advertisement

Take your own advice stop labelling people with offensive terminology.
    Have the dicks on this site got a campaign going to not be called dicks or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

This thread makes no sense. I'm out

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

What if there was a black Brazilian dwarf?

Seems you follow the beat of someone else drum, why be so willing to keep changing speech because someone in America has deemed it 'problematic', the majority should be respected, minorities of all kinds are not as important in society, not to ignore them completely as I said before about infrastructure and such but a few people out there have a skewed view on this. The needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

This thread makes no sense. I'm out

Nobody asked you to contribute

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Wss he black ?
    Was he a dwarf ?
    Was he Brazilian ?

It could be a very accurate description of the wee man

Seems you follow the beat of someone else drum, why be so willing to keep changing speech because someone in America has deemed it 'problematic', the majority should be respected, minorities of all kinds are not as important in society, not to ignore them completely as I said before about infrastructure and such but a few people out there have a skewed view on this. The needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few.
    Why would 'the many' need to refer to people as 'handicapped' instead of 'people with disabilities' or 'disabled people'.

Are you saying that people with disabilities are less important than other people?

Nobody asked you to contribute
    No-one asked anyone to contribute.

Wss he black ?
    Was he a dwarf ?
    Was he Brazilian ?

It could be a very accurate description of the wee man
    The term 'dwarf' is generally recognised as causing offence to people with dwarfism. Here's a decent explanation from the Little People of Ireland about term 'midget', which has similar impact.

http://www.lpi.ie/lpi-themword/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Most people are going to find a black Brazilian dwarf with ginger hair noteworthy. You can demand people remove their tweets all you like but you can't change human nature.

Has Sinead Burke genuinely never seen someone with something weird about their appearance and laughed? If she saw someone like this in the street would she really not comment on it later to her friends?

• Advertisement

The term 'dwarf' is generally recognised as causing offence to people with dwarfism. Here's a decent explanation from the Little People of Ireland about term 'midget', which has similar impact.

Do they call their condition dwarfism ? If they do i can't see what they've got to be upset about

Do they call their condition dwarfism ? If they do i can't see what they've got to be upset about

It is not the people with Dwarfism getting offended, it is the "regular sized" busybodies who take offense on other peoples behalf and actually convince the would be victim that they should be offended. You will find these people that are some of the most bigoted unhappy people going and they are trying to balance things out by doing something "good".

Most people are going to find a black Brazilian dwarf with ginger hair noteworthy. You can demand people remove their tweets all you like but you can't change human nature.

Has Sinead Burke genuinely never seen someone with something weird about their appearance and laughed?
    This may come as a surprise to you, but there are lots of people, probably most people, who have never laughed at someone's appearance on the street.
    They don't get to choose medical terminology. They do, or at least they should, get to choose personal labels.
    It is not the people with Dwarfism getting offended, it is the "regular sized" busybodies who take offense on other peoples behalf and actually convince the would be victim that they should be offended.
    Have you met Sinead, or do you know anything about her?

And please don't forget to come back to my questions when you have a minute.

They don't get to choose medical terminology. They do, or at least they should, get to choose personal labels.

Ok, ill stick with the medical terminology, in general terms its perfectly fine to call them dwarfs, in personal terms ill stick to calling anyone i meet by their first name

Ok, ill stick with the medical terminology, in general terms its perfectly fine to call them dwarfs, in personal terms ill stick to calling anyone i meet by their first name

Dwarfism is a medical term. Dwarf is not a medical term. Dwarf is a term of abuse that causes great offence. This has been pointed out to you now, and you are choosing to deliberately continue to use it presumably because of sheer pigheadedness.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I would see "little people" as potentially problematic in Ireland. Darby O'Gill etc

Dwarfism is a medical term. Dwarf is not a medical term. Dwarf is a term of abuse that causes great offence. This has been pointed out to you now, and you are choosing to deliberately continue to use it presumably because of sheer pigheadedness.

Its not a big jump to shorten (snigger) dwarfism to dwarf

I would see "little people" as potentially problematic in Ireland. Darby O'Gill etc

If you talk to little people themselves, they are generally happy with it as their representative organisation confirms. Sinead Burke got 'duine bheag' added to some official Irish dictionary recently.

Its not a big jump to shorten (snigger) dwarfism to dwarf

Except that it is, and coming up with derogatory terms for people with certain types of disabilities isn't really something to snigger about.

Except that it is, and coming up with derogatory terms for people with certain types of disabilities isn't really something to snigger about.

Is dwarfism a disability ? i know if i was a dwarf I'd be more offended by the presumption i was disabled rather than the term most commonly used to describe me, maybe its people like you who feel offended for the "little people" that blow things like this out of proportion. By the way, the term little people is in my opinion a far more derogatory/patronising term, you might as well pat them on the back and tell them what great little men and women they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,482 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Black Brazilian dwarf sounds like the start of a great story, I'm a little disappointed.

Advertisement