Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ableist ?????

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,985 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you talk to little people themselves, they are generally happy with it as their representative organisation confirms.

They may be.

But what do the genuine leprechauns think of having their name most-used.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,126 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is dwarfism a disability ? i know if i was a dwarf I'd be more offended by the presumption i was disabled rather than the term most commonly used to describe me, maybe its people like you who feel offended for the "little people" that blow things like this out of proportion.
    Yes, it would generally meet the definitions of Disability in the Disability Act or the Equal Status Acts;

http://www.lpi.ie/dwarfism-awareness/

By the way, the term little people is in my opinion a far more derogatory/patronising term, you might as well pat them on the back and tell them what great little men and women they are.

It's their term, not my term. So similar to otherwise derogatory terms like queer, dyke, n-i-g-g-e-r, crip, it has been claimed as preferred term by many people with dwarfism.

They may be.

But what do the genuine leprechauns think of having their name most-used.
    Why don't you ask a genuine leprechaun the next time you're chatting to one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

This may come as a surprise to you, but there are lots of people, probably most people, who have never laughed at someone's appearance on the street.

It doesn't come as a surprise to me, no. I never mentioned laughing at people in the street.

It doesn't come as a surprise to me, no. I never mentioned laughing at people in the street.
    So where do you do the laughing at people's 'weird' appearances then? At the back of the bike sheds at school perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

"Black Brazilian dwarf"

I genuinely lolled.

Oh of course it's terrible...twitter...diversity..white people etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

So where do you do the laughing at people's 'weird' appearances then? At the back of the bike sheds at school perhaps?

Jesus, you're witty. You really got me there. :D

I guess you've never seen a single person in real life, on television or anywhere else whose appearance amused you. Congratulations on being an angel.

Jesus, you're witty. You really got me there. :D

I guess you've never seen a single person in real life, on television or anywhere else whose appearance amused you. Congratulations on being an angel.
    The bar is pretty low around here, isn't it. If you don't laugh at other people's appearance, you're some kind of hero?

Do most adults really go round laughing at the appearance of people with certain disabilities or conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

The bar is pretty low around here, isn't it. If you don't laugh at other people's appearance, you're some kind of hero?

Do most adults really go round laughing at the appearance of people with certain disabilities or conditions?

I think that most people would not even think of making fun of people like that, I would say pity is the first thing they think which is a shame but it is human nature.

Advertisement