Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 13.2.2 directions settings

Options
  • 16-11-2019 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

When the directions option was selected, Safari and the Google app used to open Apple Maps with directions from current location but it no longer works.

On the Google app it brings up a list of map app options but only opens the selected app with no directions.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I'm on 13.2.2 and I just tried it there on both safari and Chrome and google maps opened automatically on each occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ATC110

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I'm on 13.2.2 and I just tried it there on both safari and Chrome and google maps opened automatically on each occasion.

To clarify, I mean when searching, for example, a venue on the Google app or Safari the results show the venue with two or three options in a row: "website" "get directions" and (possibly) "opening hours". When "get directions" is selected it does as I described in the original post.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Yep, and that’s exactly what I’m doing, I’ve just tried it on my wife’s iPhone also and her’s is the same as mine, google maps opens when she clicks on directions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Can you check that Google is the default search engine on your phone? Settings > Safari > Search Engine.

Do all of the apps mentioned have location services turned on? Settings > Privacy > location services

brophs wrote: »
    Can you check that Google is the default search engine on your phone? Settings > Safari > Search Engine.

Do all of the apps mentioned have location services turned on? Settings > Privacy > location services

Just checked and yes to all. If I click "get directions" it just opens Maps without any destination specified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

ATC110 wrote: »
    Just checked and yes to all. If I click "get directions" it just opens Maps without any destination specified.

Odd. Have you tried reinstalling the app? Are you logged into your account in Google Maps?

Also, can you try this: open Google Maps and click the arrow to find your current location. Then, in Safari, search for a location in Google, click directions and see does that open the destination in the app

Just for completeness, these are my settings in iOS in case there’s anything different in yours.

brophs wrote: »
    Odd. Have you tried reinstalling the app? Are you logged into your account in Google Maps?

Also, can you try this: open Google Maps and click the arrow to find your current location. Then, in Safari, search for a location in Google, click directions and see does that open the destination in the app

Just for completeness, these are my settings in iOS in case there’s anything different in yours.

Thanks for the detailed reply broths.

My phone settings are the same as yours. I've been on to Apple Care for hours today and they are flummoxed also.

Does uninstalling Apple Maps help?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭jc77

ATC110 wrote: »
    I've been on to Apple Care for hours today and they are flummoxed also.

Did anyone advise to update iOS?

iOS 13.2.3 was released November 18th

source

The iOS is up to date.

Apple Senior Technical Support came back to me yesterday and they said both issues ( as outlined below) are beyond Apple's control and are due to changes made by Google.

They said they trialled the same process as me and had the same result.

Issues notified to AppleCare:

When selecting ‘Directions’ from an internet search result in Safari, Google maps is opened rather than Maps, showing directions to the destination. It used to open Maps but it has not been possible to-date to revert to that option.

When selecting ‘Directions’ from an internet search result in the standalone Google App, Maps is opened but the destination has not been selected which means it has to be manually entered.

• Advertisement
Advertisement