Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fiber stops about 100 meters away...

• 16-11-2019 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Dunno what am asking but...

I am finishing the end of a new build.

Time to start thinking of internet.

My sister/brother in law live about a minute walk down the road from the new build - less than 100 meters and have fiber.

The fiber does not run past my house - they just - stopped.

Has anyone any idea who I could talk to/email about this? I have tried to contact Eir, no luck. The county council broadband officer (no luck). Government broadband agency (no luck).

Am not saying I can get it or should get it, or even deserve it, but this rollout plan seems a joke - I cant rest until I have done everything I can. The only other option I seem to have is satellite broadband, and it is expensive.

Any one have any advice or any dealings with this?

Edit: I have an Eircode and not looking to do anything illegal.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Without and eircode you wouldn't be able to order it anyways, and that takes 6 months 'cause Ireland.

The pragmatic answer is to setup a point to point link with the sisters house. Its against the terms of service with any ISP she might be with but in practice won't be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

ED E wrote: »
    Without and eircode you wouldn't be able to order it anyways, and that takes 6 months 'cause Ireland.

The pragmatic answer is to setup a point to point link with the sisters house. Its against the terms of service with any ISP she might be with but in practice won't be a problem.
    There's a very big reason it's against the terms of service and sharing a BB connection isn't exactly a good idea for a few reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Thanks for reply.

I have an Eircode for the new build.

Id rather not do that, as it is a public road and there is a field I don't own in between.

Am asking what other people have done/who did ye contact?

With family members is not a huge problem if done with a P2P link. Don't run copper between RCBOs.
    Id rather not do that, as it is a public road and there is a field I don't own in between.
    It'd be wireless, just two nanostations on a pole on either chimney.
    dellas1979 wrote: »
    Am asking what other people have done/who did ye contact?

There is nobody to contact. The rollout is the rollout until NBP in several years time.

With family members is not a huge problem if done with a P2P link. Don't run copper between RCBOs.

Ok I wont be doing anything like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

I'm 150 meters from the broadband dp box and they wont bring it too me. Is your house in the nbp area?

If it is you winter get eir to bring the fibre to you. I tried and was shot down

CptMackey wrote: »
    I'm 150 meters from the broadband dp box and they wont bring it too me. Is your house in the nbp area?

If it is you winter get eir to bring the fibre to you. I tried and was shot down

My postcode is in the amber "no one gives a sheit" zone.
    My sister's house is in the blue zone.

Both houses are 100 meters (even less) away from each other.

I didn't understand your last sentence :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I'd be interested in this too. My parents house is about 70m beyond the end of a fibre run and is not marked for inclusion.
    The fibre isn't live yet though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I'd be interested in this too. My parents house is about 70m beyond the end of a fibre run and is not marked for inclusion.
    The fibre isn't live yet though

There is a decent chance your parents will be included, however if they are not there is little you can do. It's a commercial roll out and they are under no obligation to include everyone. That is what the National Broadband Plan is for.

There is a decent chance your parents will be included, however if they are not there is little you can do. It's a commercial roll out and they are under no obligation to include everyone. That is what the National Broadband Plan is for.

What is the national broadband plan for? Waiting 7 years? Noone has any answers when you ask when areas will be covered. Maps aren't up to date. No information. Cant ask anyone anything...some places (including mine) are the epitome of rural/very bad service, and they just stopped providing. They.Just.Stopped.

Assume you've fiber/not waiting?

• Advertisement

What is the national broadband plan for? Waiting 7 years? Noone has any answers when you ask when areas will be covered. Maps aren't up to date. No information. Cant ask anyone anything...some places (including mine) are the epitome of rural/very bad service, and they just stopped providing. They.Just.Stopped.

Assume you've fiber/not waiting?

I'm sorry for giving you the reality but that is how it is. I don't make the rules. The NBP contract is likely to be signed in the next couple of weeks with work starting in 2020. Expect details of the rollout to emerge when the contract has been signed. I know it's frustrating but there is at least some light at the end of the tunnel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Obviously I understand that. I was just wondering what the experience of others here was where they were just outside the indicated served area on the map. Have they been able to successfully lobby for inclusion (who did they lobby), or indeed pay to have the fibre line extended?

I guess we shall have to wait and see. In my parents case, the line that they have brought, if not extended, could only serve a few elderly customers who I suspect will not have much interest in fibre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

At least you have the option. Many people don't even have that.
    Just wait for the NBP. There is no way of telling how many years your will be waiting though.

Obviously I understand that. I was just wondering what the experience of others here was where they were just outside the indicated served area on the map. Have they been able to successfully lobby for inclusion (who did they lobby), or indeed pay to have the fibre line extended?

I guess we shall have to wait and see. In my parents case, the line that they have brought, if not extended, could only serve a few elderly customers who I suspect will not have much interest in fibre.

Exactly MrMusician.

Navi-your posts are not helpful. I/we know the story. We are the ones the roll out forgot and no indication of when it will be done.

Per MrMusician's post, I am asking has anyone been in this situation and who did ye contact. How did it get done.

Exactly MrMusician.

Navi-your posts are not helpful. I/we know the story. We are the ones the roll out forgot and no indication of when it will be done.

Per MrMusician's post, I am asking has anyone been in this situation and who did ye contact. How did it get done.

Yet I am the person that has been here advising people for the guts of three years on this very issue. It is not possible. I don't know how to be clearer. There is nothing you can do.

My postcode is in the amber "no one gives a sheit" zone.
    My sister's house is in the blue zone.

Both houses are 100 meters (even less) away from each other.

I didn't understand your last sentence :)

Ya auto correct gone wrong. Basically eir wont bring the fibre to you if you are in the nbp area

There is nothing you can do.

Listen - its not personal. If someone tells me "it cant be done" Im your lady to challenge/find out why it cant be done, or when can it be done, and if it cant be done and Ive tried my best, I will rest. I cant take your word it cant be done on something that is so important (even if that might bother you/in your experience). Ive to find that out for myself. Surely you can understand this.

I need help in finding out how I can find out these answers.

Surely someone knows who I can contact about this? Is it Eir is it KN (who in Eir, who in KN). People like myself in the forgotton Amber areas are desperate for a connection. I was talking to my neighbours this morning and they said their internet is so bad, they gave up having internet.

Who is accountable out there to inform us of when it could be available? Noone seems to know. That olde rollout map is a joke.

*Is there anyone out there who has any information!*

I do understand and I admire your persistence. I'd probably be similar myself in that it would drive me bonkers to be so close to a connection but unable to get it.

The people you would need to speak to are open eir, the wholesale division of eir. They design and build the network. Unfortunately for you they are extremely difficult to contact and will not generally deal with the public. They had an email address that used to get some response but that has been closed. You can try twitter @openeir.

https://www.openeir.ie/About_Us/

Listen - its not personal. If someone tells me "it cant be done" Im your lady to challenge/find out why it cant be done, or when can it be done, and if it cant be done and Ive tried my best, I will rest. I cant take your word it cant be done on something that is so important (even if that might bother you/in your experience). Ive to find that out for myself. Surely you can understand this.

Surely someone knows who I can contact about this? Is it Eir is it KN (who in Eir, who in KN). People like myself in the forgotton Amber areas are desperate for a connection. I was talking to my neighbours this morning and they said their internet is so bad, they gave up having internet.

Who is accountable out there to inform us of when it could be available? Noone seems to know. That olde rollout map is a joke.

Basically what I found out was that eir have brought the fibre as far as they are for the moment. I tired a few different providers and they could do nothing for me.

Try airwire and see what they say. They tried to get me added but wasnt possible. Failing that you are waiting for the National broadband plan. Or maybe in the meantime wireless providers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Orebro

kippy wrote: »
    sharing a BB connection isn't exactly a good idea for a few reasons

Care to elaborate on that?

• Advertisement

Orebro wrote: »

Security and it's against the terms of your contract.
    But in the OP's case it's a great idea. I really can't imagine much issues when sharing with family.

Unfortunately there are many, many people in the country in a similar situation to yourself. The answer is correct - there is nothing you can do about it.

In your situation I’d get myself a couple of point to point links and hop onto your family’s fibre connection - not difficult to setup at all. E.g of inexpensive equipment required: Ubiquiti NSM5 Networks Nano Station M5 WLAN Access Point - White https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HXT8KJ4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.kx0DbH5XM18K

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Shpongler

Yeah, the p2p link is the way to go as said previously.
    It wouldn't cost a whole pile, a couple of hundred euros, and it's pretty straight forward to set one up.

I do understand and I admire your persistence. I'd probably be similar myself in that it would drive me bonkers to be so close to a connection but unable to get it.

The people you would need to speak to are open eir, the wholesale division of eir. They design and build the network. Unfortunately for you they are extremely difficult to contact and will not generally deal with the public. They had an email address that used to get some response but that has been closed. You can try twitter @openeir.

https://www.openeir.ie/About_Us/

Exactly.

I did try to contact OpenEir, not a sausage - email came back as this mailbox isn't used any more.

I don't have a twitter account, but I shall be opening one now!!!

Its just to get an answer - when could this be rolled out. I know am not the only one with questions.

To people saying to install p2p, I wont be doing that.

Elaboration:
    1. All internet traffic will be routed through the broadband account holders IP address.

Exactly.

I did try to contact OpenEir, not a sausage - email came back as this mailbox isn't used any more.

Its just to get an answer - when could this be rolled out. I know am not the only one with questions.

They have no obligation to answer you. If you do get and answer expect them to explain they have no plans to expand rural FTTH for the foreseeable future.

They will be putting all their focus on urban FTTH over the coming years.
    They will probably be waiting to see what happens with the NBP before building more rural infrastructure. No one has any idea what the timeline will be like for the NBP.

If they were to address all houses that just missed out they would have to delay the urban rollout this would be very costly as SIRO and Virgin will take many of their urban customers.

Elaboration:
    1. All internet traffic will be routed through the broadband account holders IP address.

And? I get what the contract states, but tell me why it would be an issue sharing a trusted family connection? I’d sure as hell be doing it if I were in OPs situation.

Exactly.

Best of luck to you, but a search around this forum will give you some rather depressing reading from people that have been in the same situation and tried the same things. Nobody is going to come to your road and extend fibre a hundred meters to give you service (NBP is when you’ll get it). You’re wasting your time on this I’m afraid, but let us know how you get on anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,112 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'd be getting the max connection the family member can get. Split their bill and then get a P2P setup.

It's the best option available. And frankly its a really good option of their connection is fibre. You'd be getting speeds between you that others can only dream of.

Your reticence of P2P and your lack of understanding of how you will not be getting Eir or anyone else to extend the line is evidence that you are slightly out of your depth. All of the gumption in the world won't get your house extended to. There are people in this forum who could charge and arm and a leg in consultants fees for the advice your getting and you are scoffing at it.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »

Your reticence of P2P and your lack of understanding of how you will not be getting Eir or anyone else to extend the line is evidence that you are slightly out of your depth. All of the gumption in the world won't get your house extended to. There are people in this forum who could charge and arm and a leg in consultants fees for the advice your getting and you are scoffing at it.

If someone wanted to do this but had no idea on how to do it themselves.
    Where could they search to find someone to do the work for them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Bdjsjsjs

Would anyone here know how much it costs Eir to lay 100m in such a rural environment? I know its not possible to pay for it but I am curious.

And? I get what the contract states, but tell me why it would be an issue sharing a trusted family connection? I’d sure as hell be doing it if I were in OPs situation.

You have absolutely no idea of what is happening on the connection and no control or knowledge of the devices that use that connection - even if it's belonging to a trusted family member. Nor do you know whether the family member has any security on their devices etc........
    There are major risks.

It would be a fairly naive thing to do.

You have absolutely no idea of what is happening on the connection and no control or knowledge of the devices that use that connection - even if it's belonging to a trusted family member. Nor do you know whether the family member has any security on their devices etc........
    There are major risks.

Is it not possible to have control over this with the right hardware/software combination?

I'm still not sure why it would be far worse than allowing someone to connect to an access point that's inside your own house.

tuxy wrote: »
    Is it not possible to have control over this with the right hardware/software combination?

I'm still not sure why it would be far worse than allowing someone to connect to an access point that's inside your own house.

Well beyond the scope of most home users.

I didnt say it was worse than allowing someone to connecto to an access point within your home.

I didnt say it was worse than allowing someone to connecto to an access point within your home.

Tosh ample amount of equipment on the market now that is aimed at home user control. With simple setup and simple security options

Just tosh

• Advertisement

I shared a 7Mbit connection with my dad for 10 years over a 14km 5Ghz link and it worked out great. He was out in the sticks with no access to anything but 24Kbit dial up.
    It was really easy to setup and we both shared the bill. You save money and still get plenty bandwidth, especially if the connection is fibre.

Anyone with basic networking knowledge can set it up.

I wouldn't work about the security side of it if it's a family member you are sharing with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

does your sister/brother in law have fibre to their house or is it fibre at street and copper to house?

So if the risk is the same as allowing someone to connect to your standard wifi, isn't that all someone would need to know before deciding on going ahead with it?
    Well of course they should also be aware it's against terms of service.

But if they are aware of both of these issues can't they decide for themselves on whether it's a good idea for their situation.

Tosh ample amount of equipment on the market now that is aimed at home user control. With simple setup and simple security options

Just tosh

I've said this before, but there are a lot of people on this site who would probably have little issue with setting up something like opendns, and maybe some filtering on the routing device side but literally 90% of the market do not have the skillset or awareness required to set up something like this.

So if the risk is the same as allowing someone to connect to your standard wifi, isn't that all someone would need to know before deciding on going ahead with it?

But if they are aware of both of these issues can't they decide for themselves on whether it's a good idea for their situation.

The risk is the same as being a landlord and having lodgers.

Same

• Advertisement

Again, I never said someone shouldnt allow this to happen - who am I or the ISP to stop them. They are of course open to decide for themselves.

Just pointing out it's a fairly naive option - but again - let them have at it no odds to me.

I've said this before, but there are a lot of people on this site who would probably have little issue with setting up something like opendns, and maybe some filtering on the routing device side but literally 90% of the market do not have the skillset or awareness required to set up something like this.

So you admit it's easy to do and not the impossible thing you were alluding to.

Also that routers now are far easier to manage and maintain with phone apps etc than setting one up 5 years ago. Well within the capabilities of most normal folks

Also that routers now are far easier to manage and maintain with phone apps etc than setting one up 5 years ago. Well within the capabilities of most normal folks

Where did I say it was impossible?
    Where did I say it wasn't easy to do - It's easy to do for me and a yourself most likely, It's not easy to do right, and it's not easy to do for the vast majority of the population.

Your experience of "normal folks" and mine appears to be completely at odds.

Not derailing the thread any further.
    Best wishes OP.

Not derailing the thread any further.
    Best wishes OP.

Might be for the best if we completely disagree there will be no changing of minds.

But I'd just like to say most people would give their wifi code to someone they met very recently and don't know well.
    I understand there are risks but they are low in comparison to what the average person frequently does.

Well at least they know they have an option now, Getting the fibre the extra 100m will be a lot more difficult than a P2P link.

There are major risks.

Find me one example of a shared internet connection causing an issue for the person with their name on the bill.

OP is just being belligerent. Thread should be locked.

OP is just being belligerent. Thread should be locked.

It probably should, they now know what options they have and at least they have an option. It's now up to them to decide how badly they need faster internet.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement