Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fiber stops about 100 meters away...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

kippy wrote: »
    Elaboration:
    1. All internet traffic will be routed through the broadband account holders IP address.

I can imagine that if you had a terrorist in the family, lazy and silly enough, to be working from home, that could cause you a minor inconvenience, at the most. Other than that, it's the only proposal that is workable.

The OP won't be getting a fibre connection any other way so it's a simple binary choice of fibre/no fibre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Does anyone remember when most WIFI routers were using WEP and anyone with some basic knowledge could use your home connection?
    There was even a simple application where you could just type the Eir SSID in and get the passphrase.
    Apart from someone hogging your bandwidth I never head of anyone in Ireland getting in legal trouble for something someone else did on the owners connection.
    Now maybe it did happen and I just never heard about it but it would seem even much higher security risks than sharing your internet are unlikely to get you in trouble.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Bdjsjsjs

tuxy wrote: »
    It probably should, they now know what options they have and at least they have an option. It's now up to them to decide how badly they need faster internet.
    Many unanswered questions remaining here that affect many people.

Bdjsjsjs wrote: »
    Many unanswered questions remaining here that affect many people.

The answer is no user on here has ever heard of Open Eir extending the planned network to accommodate someone. If you have line of sight with someone willing to share then that is the best option you can take.
    What questions are unanswered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

listermint wrote: »
    There are people in this forum who could charge and arm and a leg in consultants fees for the advice your getting and you are scoffing at it.

WTF?

Before you get too bent out of shape, ****ty, and frankly, insulting, as you obviously did not read my previous posts, I am not in a position to get p2p connection for fibre. Is it that that has you bent out of shape and feel the need to be mean? What has this got to do with you? Or do you want to puff yourself up and put me down to feel important?

Ive said SEVERAL times I wont do p2p. Not my fault you don't read properly.

My question was had people any success in finding out could they get fibre and how/was it successful. I didn't come on here to get scolded by the likes of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,112 ✭✭✭✭listermint

dellas1979 wrote: »
    WTF?

Before you get too bent out of shape, ****ty, and frankly, insulting, as you obviously did not read my previous posts, I am not in a position to get p2p connection for fibre with that family member. Is it that that has you bent out of shape and feel the need to be mean? What has this got to do with you?

You murmured something about a public road something something something. Which has no bearing on a P2P.

So excuse my bluntness.

It's apt.

If you are not on speaking teams with your sister or do not have line of sight then you have my sympathy.

You murmured something about a public road something something something. Which has no bearing on a P2P.

So excuse my bluntness.

It's apt.

Let me write this again. Let me be clear. I cannot do a p2p.

"Murmuring" - Stop being so condescending and puffing yourself up. Your bluntness is not excused. That's you just deciding to be ****ty towards someone asking questions (that you don't like).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Theanswers

P2P.

That's the only answer.

Else, the chances are slim to none.

• Advertisement

If you are not on speaking teams with your sister or do not have line of sight then you have my sympathy.

Your assumption is incorrect - I get on great with my sister. My sight line is blocked by an Eirpole.

Let me write this again. Let me be clear. I cannot do a p2p.

"Murmuring" - Stop being so condescending and puffing yourself up. Your bluntness is not excused. That's you just deciding to be ****ty towards someone asking questions (that you don't like).

That I don't like ? I don't know you to make any opinion on you. So no.

As I said you said something about a public road. If its a family issue where you don't get on at all well that's different to a topology problem.

It looks like your out of road then on this excuse the pun. Until the NBP is complete. Lobby your TD to make sure they know how interested you are in its completion.

Theanswers wrote: »
    P2P.

That's the only answer.

Else, the chances are slim to none.

P2P isn't possible.

Thanks for the input.

Your assumption is incorrect - I get on great with my sister. My sight line is blocked by an Eirpole.

How wide is this pole? Are you sure line of sight is blocked? There are more options for mounting than just the chimney.
    If it really is blocked unfortinatly it puts you in the exact same situation as everyone else waiting for the National Broadband Plan.

Well then it appears my assumption about your obstinace was appropriate.

Because the presence of a telephone pole has no bearing on a P2P setup.

This forum has tried to assist you but sure look some people know more than the people they are asking advice off.

How wide is this pole? Are you sure line of sight is blocked? There are more options for mounting than just the chimney.
    If it really is blocked unfortinatly it puts you in the exact same situation as everyone else waiting for the National Broadband Plan.

It looks like it's 4 meters wide at this point..

• Advertisement

That I don't like ? I don't know you to make any opinion on you. So no.

Well, possibly stop being so condescending towards someone who, yea, doesn't have a whole lot of knowledge of 2019 networks, and even maybe asking the wrong questions, but yea, built and PM'ed a whole house in a very tight budget herself. Your tone and language towards me was frankly passive aggressive/atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Orebro

OP if you want I can forward the standard email you’ll get from Eir about this - that’s it, they won’t engage with you any further, so you’re beating a dead donkey unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Orebro

Actually, here it is:

——-

Thank you for your email.

The plan that you will be included in is the National Broadband Plan.

The footprint of our rural 300,000 rollout is locked down and we have contractual milestones in place with the Department of Communications, Climate Change and Environment to deliver each specific address. As such additional premises that are currently outside of the footprint cannot be included.

By definition, our commercial rollout cannot not reach all the homes and businesses in the area. While the boundary of the rollout may appear arbitrary, in fact the network rollout is based on the best network planning practices and the key business variables required to make the investment commercial. Any address not covered by our commercial rollout will be included in the Government’s National Broadband Plan.

Under this scheme the Government intends to intervene in non-commercial areas of the market to ensure through State subsidy that all premises in the country will receive high-speed broadband regardless of location. Open eir is participating in the NBP bid process and is one of two bidders shortlisted for the tender which is expected to be awarded in 2018.

The Department of Communications, Climate Action & Environment expect the NBP network roll-out to be completed by 2022.

Please visit the below website to learn more about the NBP and to keep updated on the programme’s progress.

www.dccae.gov.ie.

Kind Regards.

John.

Well then it appears my assumption about your obstinace was appropriate.

Because the presence of a telephone pole has no bearing on a P2P setup.

This forum has tried to assist you but sure look some people know more than the people they are asking advice off.

What are you talking about? Do you run this forum? Do you generally go around being horrible and mean towards people with questions?

You've talked to me like am some thicko. You say you've no interest in me, as a person, but above say you have made an assumption.

It looks like it's 4 meters wide at this point..

Is this some kind of a joke? You've shot your smart ass foot there.

A sight line has to do with building requirements for road safety. There is an Eir pole blocking my line of sight as I exit. 2.4 meters back from the road, with 80 meters each direction.

Go on....tell us how much you know about this too......yawn.....

• Advertisement

Well, possibly stop being so condescending towards someone who, yea, doesn't have a whole lot of knowledge of networks, and even maybe asking the wrong questions, but yea, built and PM'ed a whole house in a very tight budget herself. Your tone and language towards me was frankly passive aggressive/atrocious.

You've kept on saying that P2P is not possible. You are saying this to a bunch of engineers. Who's first thought will be why ! You said a public road. You were told a road has no problems with a P2P connection. You then said it was a pole. Which again unless it's the width of the house has no bearing.

You can understand the frustration when you say P2P is not possible despite your lack of knowledge of the technology. Other posters will read this in future looking for assistance. And your points about roads and poles need to be challenged.

Well, possibly stop being so condescending towards someone who, yea, doesn't have a whole lot of knowledge of networks

You options are slow internet or a P2P network with your sister.
    We don't care what your knowledge is. There are people on willing to share their knowledge. But maybe less so now.....

Orebro wrote: »
    OP if you want I can forward the standard email you’ll get from Eir about this - that’s it, they won’t engage with you any further, so you’re beating a dead donkey unfortunately.

Thanks Orebro for some sane contribution.

A sight line has to do with building requirements for road safety. There is an Eir pole blocking my line of sight as I exit. 2.4 meters back from the road, with 80 meters each direction.

What on earth has a road got to do with a wireless peer to peer network?

You've kept on saying that P2P is not possible.

listermint - it is not possible. Ive worn the keys off the keyboard writing this. P2P IS NOT POSSIBLE.

I asked if anyone had luck getting fibre (when it was so close to them). Not an alternative solution, which is being forced on me.

What on earth has a road got to do with a wireless peer to peer network?

Lads will ye cop on.

If you read my post, I said that Eir had a pole to move also, due to sight lines. It is a new build. Could a new pole location = simultaneously hooking up fiber less than 100 meters away.

Will people read the post, and stop poking at me out of context.

Oh Jesus.....

I'm out. It's like chatting to my mother about how to operate netflix.

Laters.

You are so mean.

Refection of who you are in reality. Exactly - laters. Don't bother me again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,682 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

At 100 meters from the end of the rollout you have zero chance of getting fibre
    No one can help, doesn't matter who you contact
    You are stuck with DSL if you can get that on a fixed line
    Maybe if you were on the path of the rollout there would be a chance you could get it as a late build but even then there would have been no guarantee as people have found out to their detriment
    Openeir are not gonna spend thousands just to extend the line down to you - if they were this easily swayed then the rollout would never finish as everyone would be wanting it.
    These plans for the rollout were mapped out years ago with specific geographic areas to be covered

Give it up and look at other options

fritzelly wrote: »

I'd say wait for the NBP, anyone who offers help will be punished!

Why are you being so mean because I wont install a p2p connection!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHYYYY.

This is fcuking insane talk!

Because it is your only option. Trying to help you with your only option is the only sane thing as posting anything else would be untrue.

• Advertisement

I'd say wait for the NBP, anyone who offers help will be punished!

Even with the NBP unless very lucky to be in the first phase could be waiting years

You are so mean.

Refection of who you are in reality. Exactly - laters. Don't bother me again.

I took the opportunity to give myself a headache and drew you a really basic plan of how P2P would look in his situation. Forget the eircom poles they have no bearing on the installation. The P2P is between the two homes not the poles or the road.

See attached.

Even with the NBP unless very lucky to be in the first phase could be waiting years

Wouldn't be surprising if some people are waiting a decade :(

I took the opportunity to give myself a headache and drew you a really basic plan of how P2P would look in his situation. Forget the eircom poles they have no bearing on the installation. The P2P is between the two homes not the poles or the road.

See attached.

That's a very mean drawing, how dare you.

Because it is your only option. Trying to help you with your only option is the only sane thing as posting anything else would be untrue.

I cannot install this.

I get the advice. Am reading the advice. I cannot install a p2p.

Because I cant take the advice for genuine reasons is NOT a licence for you, or others on here, to be mean to me.

Should be ashamed of yerselves.

It is not an option.

Can ye stop forcing the p2p connection on me. Stop at me, please. Stop the condescending tone and talk. Just stop....

The p2p radio links being proposed are cheap and yet can connect points 10 km apart, let alone 100m or so. Sight lines for entrance-ways and roads have no bearing.

If you can see even the tiniest part of your sisters house from somewhere on your property, a private circuit radio link is doable. It's encrypted, so private.

Unless there is a 5m high solid barrier between your property and the other that blocks you seeing the other property entirely, p2p is technically doable.

Not wanting it and it not being technically possible are two different things. It's perfectly fine to say you don't want it, but it's not ok to say it's not possible to do technically, if it isn't.

cnocbui wrote: »
    The p2p radio links being proposed are cheap and yet can connect points 10 km apart, let alone 100m or so. Sight lines for entrance-ways and roads have no bearing.

If you can see even the tiniest part of your sisters house from somewhere on your property, a private circuit radio link is doable. It's encrypted, so private.

Unless there is a 5m high solid barrier between your property and the other that blocks you seeing the other property entirely, p2p is technically doable.

Not wanting it and it not being technically possible are two different things. It's perfectly fine to say you don't want it, but it's not ok to say it's not possible to do technically, if it isn't.

Spot on ..and exactly what we are trying to say.

If someone else comes on I hope they don't get side tracked by the not wanting to have P2P and the feasibility of it.

I'm in a mean mood.

Tuxy and listermint - ye have been absolutely HORRIBLE to me on this thread. Horrible.

Both your actions, tone, and language says a lot about who ye are, and should both be ashamed for being bullies. Make light of it what ye will, what ye have done is bullying.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Bdjsjsjs

At 100 meters from the end of the rollout you have zero chance of getting fibre
    No one can help, doesn't matter who you contact
    You are stuck with DSL if you can get that on a fixed line
    Maybe if you were on the path of the rollout there would be a chance you could get it as a late build but even then there would have been no guarantee as people have found out to their detriment
    Openeir are not gonna spend thousands just to extend the line down to you - if they were this easily swayed then the rollout would never finish as everyone would be wanting it.
    These plans for the rollout were mapped out years ago with specific geographic areas to be covered

It is so frustrating that we cant pay open eir to extend the network. Even if you had to pay thousands I am sure many would pay.

Wouldn't be surprising if some people are waiting a decade :(

For some people, the wait will be well deserved.

It is so frustrating that we cant pay open eir to extend the network. Even if you had to pay thousands I am sure many would pay.

I would imagine you're correct.

If someone else comes on I hope they don't get side tracked by the not wanting to have P2P and the feasibility of it.

Ive a right to ask questions, even if you don't like/agree with them.

Ive a right to ask questions, even if you don't like/agree with them.

I'm beginning to think you are trolling tbh.

Tuxy and listermint - ye have been absolutely HORRIBLE to me on this thread. Horrible.

Both your actions, tone, and language says a lot about who ye are, and should both be ashamed for being bullies. Make light of it what ye will, what ye have done is bullying.

Has anything I have said you been dishonest or untrue?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

You technically can. Order a leased line from them. Expect to pay several thousand for installation and a couple of grand per month rental.

It's not so much the cost but they would probably need to get planning, wait for it then waste a lot of time assigning a crew to just do a connection for one more house when they should be somewhere else laying the foundation for a hundred houses to get connected.
    Waste of time and resources for them when it was not already planned for

I'm beginning to think you are trolling tbh.

Wonder the same about you. You were being absolutely obnoxious.

Good point, there is far more to it than just running 100m of fibre cable.

Additionally there may very well be no capacity for new connections to even be added no matter how much you are willing to pay.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement