Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fiber stops about 100 meters away...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,112 ✭✭✭✭listermint

fritzelly wrote: »
    Additionally there may very well be no capacity for new connections to even be added no matter how much you are willing to pay.

Planning is the biggest part. Especially on public roads . Red tape nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Additionally there may very well be no capacity for new connections to even be added no matter how much you are willing to pay.

There's plenty of capacity if the price is right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

tuxy wrote: »
    Has anything I have said you been dishonest or untrue?

You've made someone else's bullying and being mean ok. So yes, you are as bad. But yes, go ahead - justify your bad behaviour by "have I been dishonest or untrue" like you are exempt.

There are some good posts on this thread by non aggressive posters. And I will read those. I am done with you and the lister fella now.

High five yerselves, boys club, whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,682 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

There's plenty of capacity if the price is right.

Like you say - not exactly a consumer option lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

dellas1979 wrote: »
    You've made someone else's bullying and being mean ok. So yes, you are as bad. But yes, go ahead - justify your bad behaviour by "have I been dishonest or untrue" like you are exempt.

There are some good posts on this thread by non aggressive posters. And I will read those. I am done with you and the lister fella now.

I genuinely tried to give you advice that I believe is correct.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Bdjsjsjs

It's not so much the cost but they would probably need to get planning, wait for it then waste a lot of time assigning a crew to just do a connection for one more house when they should be somewhere else laying the foundation for a hundred houses to get connected.
    Waste of time and resources for them when it was not already planned for

I see what you mean but if you pay them enough they surely could take on more staff. Someone else pointed out that there may be no capacity in the system though so that makes sense to me.

You can disagree with the technical discussion all you like.but you may stop accusing me of bullying.

Your responses to all questions asked were basically trolling. I won't take being called a bully. It's not my responsibility to make someone understand a technical answer especially when they refuse to understand it.

Absolute ridiculousness

tuxy wrote: »
    I genuinely tried to give you advice that I believe is correct.

You encouraged someone else's behaviour in trying to belittle someone, for asking a question, and saying that p2p is not possible in their situation. Be if from a keyboard or not, you enabled that.

You encouraged someone else's behaviour in trying to belittle someone, for asking a question, and saying that p2p is not possible in their situation. Be if from a keyboard or not, you enabled that.

No I didn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,682 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Bdjsjsjs wrote: »
    I see what you mean but if you pay them enough they surely could take on more staff. Someone else pointed out that there may be no capacity in the system though so that makes sense to me.

Ask Navi about the time he knows of when there was a private installation done - it's way beyond a consumer product

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Well I wasn't on the original roll out. mine like yours was a new build. After about 12 months waiting for an eircode I got added to the planned rollout. I argued I was the only house in the townland who would be without. I was 130m from the last distribution point. 50 mg down. Happy days.

listermint wrote: »
    You can disagree with the technical discussion all you like.but you may stop accusing me of bullying.

Your responses to all questions asked were basically trolling. I won't take being called a bully. It's not my responsibility to make someone understand a technical answer especially when they refuse to understand it.

Absolute ridiculousness

Lets see what a mod will say. Again, you are judge and jury, albeit to your own standards.

Let me be clear - advice is welcome. The manner, the language, the condescending tone, the belittling, the bullying is not welcome.

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Well I wasn't on the original roll out. mine like yours was a new build. After about 12 months waiting for an eircode I got added to the planned rollout. I argued I was the only house in the townland who would be without. I was 130m from the last distribution point. 50 mg down. Happy days.

That is great and encouraging to hear.

Was it Open Eir you talked to (or County council?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

OP that might be an avenue you could pursue. Approach open eir or perhaps eir business looking for an uncontended 150Mb/s product. They'll give you a quote that will likely be astronomical but it may give you the opportunity to make your case to someone that could do something or pass you on to someone who could. Who knows? Arguing here isn't going to solve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

That is great and encouraging to hear.

Was it Open Eir you talked to (or County council?).

Open eir. Ill confirm when i get home

OP that might be an avenue you could pursue. Approach open eir or perhaps eir business looking for an uncontended 150Mb/s product. They'll give you a quote that will likely be astronomical but it nay give you the opportunity yo make your case to someone that could do something or pass you on to someone who could. Who knows? Arguing here isn't going to solve it.

No, you are right - its not.

Knowing its Open Eir Ive to contact is the first step. Have to start some where. I am not saying I can get a connection at all, but I need to try.

You know, I am at the finishing end of building a house. 2 years ago, I posted in the build forum not knowing a thing, asking opinion on if I could build a particular type of house, for a smaller budget. And the abuse I (also) got in that forum....its like people don't like to see a person even try.

And here I am 2 years later with said house built (albeit a ****ty internet connection lols), within budget. If I listened to everyone, including county council who wouldn't approve planning initially, I would not be here now :o

That is my background-always told no, yet still keep going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Is this some kind of a joke? You've shot your smart ass foot there.

A sight line has to do with building requirements for road safety. There is an Eir pole blocking my line of sight as I exit. 2.4 meters back from the road, with 80 meters each direction.

Go on....tell us how much you know about this too......yawn.....

Hahhahahahhahahahah

Got as far as this and couldn’t help myself.

What has an Eir pole on the main road got to do with a point to point wireless link between 2 properties?

heroics wrote: »
    What has an Eir pole on the main road got to do with a point to point wireless link between 2 properties?

Lols - its doesn't.

Someone read p2p. Eir pole. And somehow it got all confused...and attack-y.

Of course, maybe it makes for better reading to try and make me out to be the fool (with all the horrible replies).

I mentioned an Eirpole would have to be moved - nothing to do with p2p. My question was never about p2p.

If you read back to my first post, I ask nothing about p2p. Jump. Bandwagon. People being horrible.

Lols - its doesn't.

Someone read p2p. Eir pole. And somehow it got all confused...and attack-y.

I mentioned an Eirpole would have to be moved - nothing to do with p2p.

If you read back to my first post, I ask nothing about p2p. Jump. Bandwagon.

No you said Eir Pole and sight lines of entrances from your road.

No one mentioned the poles but you. Which is one of the reasons I along with other posters were confuses.

• Advertisement

No one mentioned the poles but you. Which is one of the reasons I along with other posters were confuses.

Just read your post again. You said you would rather not because of a public road and a private died in between. Neither of which matter for a p2p link.

I’m with the others on this you have been given a realistic way to get broadband but you seem too stubborn or under the belief that you should get it from Eir/whoever to even consider the valid option

Well, maybe you should clarify then before being so horrible and nasty.

I didn't add 2 and 2 and get 99. I mentioned nothing about p2p AT ALL.

I mentioned the pole as Eir owns the pole. Eir has to move the pole. Eir = fibre = next pole on the road has fibre = could it be possible when moving the pole they could do work on the fibre. It wasn't a direct question. Only a mention. As only Eir I guess can answer this.

Well, maybe you should clarify then before being so horrible and nasty.

I didn't add 2 and 2 and get 99. I mentioned nothing about p2p AT ALL.

I mentioned the pole as Eir owns the pole. Eir has to move the pole. Eir = fibre = next pole on the road has fibre = could it be possible when moving the pole they could do work on the fibre. It wasn't a direct question. Only a mention. As only Eir I guess can answer this.

Why does EIR have to move the pole?

This is new information can you elaborate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭adocholiday

OP I feel like I have to chime in here because something is getting lost in the mix.

I've asked a number of questions on this board about broadband when I was looking to buy a house in a rural area and the advice I received was always solid.

All any of the contributors like listermint are trying to do is help you. Their advice is educated and informed and worth considering.

You've said repeatedly that a P2P connection is not viable but haven't explained why. It's possible that the challenge could be overcome. If you gave some detail on it it could be discussed and a solution could be found.

Numerous people have posted here in the past including myself with the same problem and the answer is always the same. If you are not within their rural FTTH area then you're unlikely to get a connection to them. I've been through it with them, I went to TDs, Councillors, spoke to various third party wireless providers and nothing worked. The only option would have been a receiver for Vodafone 4g on the side of the house which would be unreliable and congested. I wore every avenue down and there was nothing to be done. I eventually bought a different house so it became a non issue but I got quite the education on how crap broadband is in rural Ireland in those few months and there are very few solutions.

If a P2P connection is any sort of a possibility I would recommend that you explore it. I'd have given my right arm for that option when I was in the position of needing it.

Just my 2c but I've been in your shoes and the options are very limited.

heroics wrote: »
    you seem too stubborn

I cant get a p2p. Its simple as that. It seems to have rilled up ill-feelings. And name calling. Wouldn't be proud of that, Sir!

The p and the 2 are suffering badly on keyboard.

I cant get a p2p. Its simple as that. It seems to have rilled up ill-feelings. And name calling. Wouldn't be proud of that, Sir!

There's been no name calling simple as that.

And you have yet to explain specifically why a point to point is not possible.

Please do so in your words so we can put that to rest

• Advertisement

Why does EIR have to move the pole?

This is new information can you elaborate.

When you come out your drive way, 2.4 meters back from the road you have to see left and right, clearly for 80 meters (co co regulations).

The Eir pole is blocking my line of sight (builder had to break into the site right beside Eirpole - it is leaning over at this stage). And will have to be moved.

I have mentioned this a few times on thread. Just everyone is gone to town on me for not being able to put in p2p.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Fibre is about 30 metres away from me across a little piece of grass.
    New build about 5 years ago in a town and eir wouldn't do a thing to connect us to fibre so stuck on 10meg since.
    Siro have laid fibre up to our houses in the last couple of weeks so will be jumping ship when that’s connected.

Haven't explained why.

But I don't have to explain why. There is no possible way that a p2p is possible. Is it possible to wire it all up, yes. Is it possible to get the work done? No.

I wouldn't call what I am receiving from certain posters here is advice. I don't call being belittled and made fun of advice.

Maybe was different for you. So go you.

But I don't have to explain why. There is no possible way that a p2p is possible. Is it possible to wire it all up, yes. Is it possible to get the work done? No.

I wouldn't call what I am receiving here is advice. I don't call being belittled and made fun of advice.

Maybe was different for you. So go you.

Why is it not possible to get the work done.

We are looking to get to the crux of that specifically. I think that would close this out . Do you not agree.

Is it possible to get the work done? No.

This is actually the bit I'm interested in. If someone does not know how to setup a wireless p2p network who could they turn to to get the work done?
    Maybe some local IT company?

• Advertisement

You have mentioned 3 reasons so far for not getting a p2p link (public road, private field, Eir pole) none of which are a technical reason to stop a link. You have also said you and your family member in the other house get on well so no reason there.

We are actually trying to help and give you the best advice. Waiting on open Eir is fine however you have options in the meantime

Why is it not possible to get the work done.

We are looking to get to the crux of that specifically. I think that would close this out . Do you not agree.

No I don't agree.

I am not going to discuss why a p2p is not possible / it would not suit in my situation. Why is this buggin the be jaysys out of everyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭Tefral

No I don't agree.

I am not going to discuss why a p2p is not possible / it would not suit in my situation. Why is this buggin the be jaysys out of everyone?

I guess they are trying to help and you are deliberately leaving out information. It was reading like you didn't understand the technology so they were trying to simplify it, but you honestly are just being difficult by not outlining the reasons why this method wont work

Why is this buggin the be jaysys out of everyone?

Because most people who ask the same question as you have no possible solution except wait for NBP. You're one of the few cases that may have an alternative solution.

No I don't agree.

No one can see your traffic if you use a VPN.

Just for clarity sake.

Tefral wrote: »
    I guess they are trying to help

I wouldn't call this help.

There is one reason (nothing to do with how it is set up or anything like that) I cant do this p2p. Nothing to do with wires or devices. It is just not possible.

My original question was not about p2p.

All of a sudden, something took off. I thought living in a forrest area and not on same level would not suit the p2p (maybe it does) but there is a bigger reason for not doing the p2p.

There is one reason (nothing to do with how it is set up or anything like that) I cant do this p2p. Nothing to do with wires or devices. It is just not possible.

All of a sudden, something took off. I thought living in a forrest area and not on same level would not suit the p2p (maybe it does) but there is a bigger reason for not doing the p2p.

Still ultra cryptic.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭Tefral

Which is?

Theres probably a solution for it?!

Am not deliberately trying to be evasive to piss anyone off or cause bad feeling towards me.

The p2p would not work for my circumstance. That's all.

Am not deliberately trying to be evasive to piss anyone off or cause bad feeling towards me.

You've opened a can of intrigue that's difficult to close.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Jason_Arch

I get the impression that you don't fully understand what P2P is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

OP you've three choices.

Choice 1: Point to point. Literally the equivalent of a tiny tiny satelite dish on your house and your sisters. Unless you've completely misunderstood 'line of sight' unless there's something big like a very big herd of giraffes and elephants between the two houses that would get in the way of the signal the system will work. This obviously also requires the other house to be ok with having the equipment on their house and sharing their internet with you.

Choice 2: Pay Eir to run the fibre out. Please talk to your bank first to make sure they'll be willing to loan you the crazy sums of money Eir will quote you.

Choice 3: Wait for the NBP.

That's effectively it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Ah wait, OP are you worried about the signals giving you the cancer?

Jason_Arch wrote: »
    I get the impression that you don't fully understand what P2P is

I do. Ive googled it. I read lister's drawing (because he drew it). I understand.

Will I tell ye a funny story (this is how mixed up this thread has gotton). In 2007/2008, I got the CCNA. Now, I didn't go work in it (thank God says ye) - did it as a hobby - passed 4 modules (I was working in a Uni at the time, and they sponsored it for me) - so altho I don't have the current lingo and up to complete speed (pardon the pun) on knowledge in 2019, am not completely thick.

I just don't get all the abuse and horribleness on here, because I say I cant do p2p.

I built my own house
    I did CCNA (albeit back in the dinosaur age/as a hobby)
    I speak a few languages
    I work in a deadline orientated fast paced job

So can ye stop talking to me, a female, like she is completely fooking stupid, just because I haven't studied or went into the industry of networking, or want a p2p connection.

I had a question. It was nothing to do with p2p. I have had some posts/replies that are helpful. So thanks for those.

I just don't get all the abuse and horribleness on here, because I say I cant do p2p.

I built my own house
    I did CCNA (albeit back in the dinosaur age/as a hobby)
    I speak a few languages
    I work in a deadline orientated fast paced job

So can ye stop talking to me, a female, like she is completely fooking stupid, just because I haven't studied or went into the industry of networking, or want a p2p connection.

I had a question. It was nothing to do with p2p. I have had some posts/replies that are helpful. So thanks for those.

But you can understand due to the cryptic nature of your replies we are intrigued.

At least you can recognise that.

You must be able to see why people cant's understand why that info is such a sensitive secret.
    I don't know why you keep talking about things like the CCNA, generally the less someone knows the more time we are prepared to spend helping them

Yes - but I am entitled to privacy too and have a right not to disclose information.

Like, if I asked you a question you felt you couldn't answer, for right reasons, and I kept pushing you. How would you feel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

OP did you build your own house by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Tefral wrote: »
    I guess they are trying to help and you are deliberately leaving out information. It was reading like you didn't understand the technology so they were trying to simplify it, but you honestly are just being difficult by not outlining the reasons why this method wont work

The op doesn't have to answer why. I know you are trying to be helpful but it's a bit pointless to keep digging if someone has become entrenched.

It's been established early on that P2P is a valid option and the op doesn't want it. The op wants to try a more difficult route and thats their choice.

Bullying and trolling is completely unnecessary. It should be ignored not replied to. This is not after hours.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement