Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fiber stops about 100 meters away...

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Wow. Did not expect this thread to turn this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

beauf wrote: »
    The op doesn't have to answer why. I know you are trying to be helpful but it's a bit pointless to keep digging if someone has become entrenched.

It's been established early on that P2P is a valid option and the op doesn't want it. The op wants to try a more difficult route and thats their choice.

Bullying and trolling is completely unnecessary. It should be ignored not replied to. This is not after hours.

Since it isn't AH, dont be rude and single out the first person who helps you with realistic advice and say that they are "not helpful".

Make crazy accusations something is being "forced" on you or cry sexism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Wow. Did not expect this thread to turn this way.

It's quite common in technical forums. They only consider hard skills and not the soft skills and perhaps non technical issues that can block solutions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,112 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's quite common in technical forums. They only consider hard skills and not the soft skills and perhaps non technical issues that can block solutions.

Indeed it's quite common to open a thread with

I don't know what I'm asking

Then be giving an immediate answer and solution to it .

To then come back and scoff at the idea and pretend you know better than the people you originally sought advice off.

Only to round on them with baseless accusations.

But sure we will go with the trope of technical people and soft skills. Winning

can we ask again why the only feasible solution cannot work

just to have asked again, like

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Since it isn't AH, dont be rude and single out the first person who helps you with realistic advice and say that they are "not helpful".

Make crazy accusations something is being "forced" on you or cry sexism.

If people consider "Not helpful" rude perhaps they don't have the temperament for boards. It doesn't warrant the response here. The OP should just ignore the stuff they don't want to answer. Engaging with it never ends well, as it seems to encourage some people.

listermint wrote: »
    Indeed it's quite common to open a thread with

I don't know what I'm asking

Then be giving an immediate answer and solution to it .

To then come back and scoff at the idea and pretend you know better than the people you originally sought advice off.

Only to round on them with baseless accusations.

But sure we will go with the trope of technical people and soft skills. Winning

People shouldn't try so hard to tick every box on the stereotype then.

People shouldn't try so hard to tick every box on the stereotype then.

Oh there's a stereotype here alright.its the stereotypical thread.

Open a thread with a question. Get a majority answer on it. Rail against the answer . Only respond nicely to the random single posters who agree with your own premise and deride all others.

This thread has been done multitude of times in multitude of forums.

But there's always a white night. Galloping in at the tail end saving ....we don't know what... For we don't know why.

Talk about stereotypes

I don't agree with either side of this squabbling.

But it's probably this main reason these forums are dying a slow death.

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Well I wasn't on the original roll out. mine like yours was a new build. After about 12 months waiting for an eircode I got added to the planned rollout. I argued I was the only house in the townland who would be without. I was 130m from the last distribution point. 50 mg down. Happy days.

Well probably rare. Its not unusual that some considered lobbying gets results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

If people consider "Not helpful" rude perhaps they don't have the temperament for boards. It doesn't warrant the response here. The OP should just ignore the stuff they don't want to answer. Engaging with it never ends well, as it seems to encourage some people.

You've ignored most of my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Exactly.

I did try to contact OpenEir, not a sausage - email came back as this mailbox isn't used any more.

I don't have a twitter account, but I shall be opening one now!!!

Its just to get an answer - when could this be rolled out. I know am not the only one with questions.

To people saying to install p2p, I wont be doing that.

Look, you are complain that you can't get internet. People are blue in the face telling you that Eir will not be extending the fiber just to provide one house with a service. They won't. They would set a very difficult precedent if they did as every tom dick and harry outside the rollout zone would want to be connected and then the next neighbour on down the road will want it. They are a commercial provider - they are not accountable to you or to anyone bar their shareholders - you do not have an entitlement to a connection from them. This is the purpose of the NBP, to fill in the gaps left by the private operators.

You will have to wait for the NBP to have a fixed connection.

You have also been told that if you want internet now, you can set up a p2p network. And you rejected that. Yet you are insistent you want internet.
    You either want it or you don't want it.

From you posts it seems more like you are more interested in locking horns with Eir or anyone else you can get your hands on to fight over it than actually just having access to an internet connection.

You want internet now, use the p2p. For all else, you're waiting for the NBP

I don't agree with either side of this squabbling.

But it's probably this main reason these forums are dying a slow death.

Ya its one of the highest trafficked sites in Ireland.

Dying dead.

Ya its one of the highest trafficked sites in Ireland.

Dying dead.

Usually increases traffic/popularity saying anything is dying. Just doing my bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

alexa.com says 31st place, I have a feeling it used to be much higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

The risk is the same as being a landlord and having lodgers.

Same

No it's not. The risk of sharing something with trusted family.members is ot the same as sharing with paying lodgers.

Your assumption is incorrect - I get on great with my sister. My sight line is blocked by an Eirpole.

If that's the reason you say you cannot do p2p, then I have excellent news for you. An eir pole will not be enough to block your p2p link.

tuxy wrote: »
    alexa.com says 31st place, I have a feeling it used to be much higher.

I wonder where you can track it.

It is not an option.

Can ye stop forcing the p2p connection on me. Stop at me, please. Stop the condescending tone and talk. Just stop....

If you come here looking for advice, and people generously give it to you, you kind of need to engage. Again, .most of the people.on here offering this advice are.engineers and people with a lot of networking knowledge, so simply stating that you cannot do a p2p without providing reasons why, is in fact rude and dismissive to those offering the advice, and those reading this thread to learn.

Forums like these are about give and take .

https://web.archive.org/web/20091001000000*/https://www.alexa.com/topsites/countries/IE

21st place for boards.ie in 2009, I've not check any other years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

https://www.alexa.com/topsites/countries/IE

But of course, if you actually don't want to see the rankings by going to that site, that would pose a non-technical problem.

I wonder if the OP has a brother named Andy? ;-)

cnocbui wrote: »
    https://www.alexa.com/topsites/countries/IE

But of course, if you actually don't want to see the rankings by going to that site, that would pose a non-technical problem....

Does that track it over years?

Does that track it over years?

90 days I believe but I've not spent much time looking, just went straight to web.archive.org

I found one that tracks popularity in search engines but that not quite the same thing.

It maybe that the active users is something only the owners will know and not publicly available.

I don't think P2P is an option for my parents either as they'd be extremely reluctant to ask a neighbour to share a connection (unlike the OP, they are not family). That said, we do own all the land between the end of the fibre and the house.

Does anyone know what the minimum requirements are, in terms of accommodation for a telephone connection? I'd be happy enough to put my own small cab in the field (although not entirely sure how I'd get power there, maybe battery solar, or a long extension cord :pac:) and terminate there and run my own fibre to the house, if I thought that was what was needed to get gigabit service. I wouldn't even need power if I could join (couple) my own fibre to theirs at that point (I've run fibre before [between media converters] so I've a little experience.

Or would that not be allowed? Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Orebro

I don't think P2P is an option for my parents either as they'd be extremely reluctant to ask a neighbour to share a connection (unlike the OP, they are not family). That said, we do own all the land between the end of the fibre and the house.

Does anyone know what the minimum requirements are, in terms of accommodation for a telephone connection? I'd be happy enough to put my own small cab in the field (although not entirely sure how I'd get power there, maybe battery solar, or a long extension cord :pac:) and terminate there and run my own fibre to the house, if I thought that was what was needed to get gigabit service. I wouldn't even need power if I could join (couple) my own fibre to theirs at that point (I've run fibre before [between media converters] so I've a little experience.

Or would that not be allowed? Thoughts?

Not going to happen unfortunately. Openeir will not engage to even discuss such a thing - read back over the thread and you'll see why.

If I were to ask a neighbour, I would probably offer to pay the full cost so the neighbour gets it for free, rather than share costs.

The PON fibre termination box runs off a small power adapter so there would be no 'technical need for 230v, just a solar panel + battery pack and charging regulating circuitry to provide the actual DC voltage the PON needs. Of course Openeir would be likely to say no to that. You could than run fibre to the PON in it's solar powered box at the boundary of the property.

Of course the big issue is whether your Eircode has a connection allocated to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Of course the big issue is whether your Eircode has a connection allocated to it.

I suspect this is the rock upon which this sort of proposal will perish.
    If the potential customer's eircode is on 'The List', they'll get fibre to their premises in the first place.
    A shed/hut inside the hedge, even if it's right under the fibre connection on the pole, won't have an eircode and therefore won't be entertained for connection.
    I'd love to be proved wrong though, as I have a similar situation here.

I'm seeing P2P antennae appearing around here at the ends of the fibre runs, so there's a local-solution-to-a-local-problem situation going on in the countryside as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Orebro

You can ring and offer your first born to Openeir and they will not even talk to you about something like this. If your Eircode ain't on the list the NBP is your only option (so a p2p setup is the only thing to get you up and running quickly). Admittedly it is much trickier for neighbours rather than relations.

• Advertisement

If I were to ask a neighbour, I would probably offer to pay the full cost so the neighbour gets it for free, rather than share costs.

The PON fibre termination box runs off a small power adapter so there would be no 'technical need for 230v, just a solar panel + battery pack and charging regulating circuitry to provide the actual DC voltage the PON needs. Of course Openeir would be likely to say no to that. You could than run fibre to the PON in it's solar powered box at the boundary of the property.

The OP also mentioned that they were less than 100m away from the adjacant relatives house, so a physical cable run would be close to or less than the 100m limit, so rather than a p2p, the option of a cat6 cable run between the houses would work either, although, given the OP's lack of explanation as to why a p2p is not viable, I assume that would not be viable either.

Again, if it was me, and considering the temp nature of the solution required (until nbp arrives at her door), then I would do either a p2p or a wired link between the houses, both are quite feasible.

The OP also mentioned that they were less than 100m away from the adjacant relatives house, so a physical cable run would be close to or less than the 100m limit, so rather than a p2p, the option of a cat6 cable run between the houses would work either, although, given the OP's lack of explanation as to why a p2p is not viable, I assume that would not be viable either.

Again, if it was me, and considering the temp nature of the solution required (until nbp arrives at her door), then I would do either a p2p or a wired link between the houses, both are quite feasible.

That's been suggested before, there is an issue with lightning and earthing which makes it a no go. I doubt the NBP will see anything arrive at her door within a decade.

You shouldn't run Ethernet between two properties on different supplies. You could of course run fibre, with media converters, rather ironically!

You shouldn't run Ethernet between two properties on different supplies. You could of course run fibre, with media converters, rather ironically!

I think you can if you correctly ground them ?

I think you can if you correctly ground them ?

You can't. And you shouldn't ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I suppose unless you have full coverage there will always be someone who is just 100m outside.

What have you now? I assume you have a phone line, possibly DLS? When you say fibre do you mean fttc or ftth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

You can't. And you shouldn't ever.

Lister, I was thinking of running ethernet to a router in a granny flat attached to my house. It has its own seperate electricity supply. That's a no go?? Is it very dangerous?

Lister, I was thinking of running ethernet to a router in a granny flat attached to my house. It has its own seperate electricity supply. That's a no go?? Is it very dangerous?

Use wireless instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If it has its own RCBO then I'd just swamp it with wifi from the corner of the main house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,802 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

is there wimax (or whatever the generic name is) available in the area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

ED E wrote: »
    If it has its own RCBO then I'd just swamp it with wifi from the corner of the main house.

That'll do the trick I'm sure, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

MOD:

WOWZER :eek:

I'm closing this thread.

Some folks who are not the OP, have similar questions, you are very welcome to open a new thread to continue your own questions.

Everyone else who offered your time and advice, thanks for helping folks out as always.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement