Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB online banking for credit card only account

• 16-11-2019 8:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Although I've lived in Germany for a decade+ I retain an AIB credit card as a backup (as a non-resident I do not have to pay the govt. levy so the card is free).

I can't do much online except look at the balance and whatnot because to change a phone number or address the system calls for a card reader + debit card, which I do not have.

I have set up two-factor authentication on my phone in the hope that it would suffice instead of the card reader but no dice. I thought they were moving to give people the choice of app or card reader. I guess not for certain things?

So, when I left Ireland I closed other accounts including an Ulster Bank one but I retained the credit card for a while and I could still access the online stuff because they had this concept of an "Anytime card reader card" which was just for the card reader, which they sent me when I closed my current account (and with it the debit card I had been using).

Does anyone know if AIB have a similar "dummy" card, just for the card reader?

I think maybe they simply forgot us CC only users when they stopped the code card from working.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I spoke to customer service today. AIB have no such card reader only card so credit card only or deposit account (with no debit card) have no option but to do these things in writing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Same issue here except I just have a Demand Deposit account with them - I asked for a dummy card for my account too (like Ulster Bank had years ago) but they said they don't offer it but are working on alternatives.

Advertisement