Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which car? Advise pls

• 17-11-2019 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

All, I'm shopping around for a family car to take 3 kids in back. Ages are 10, 8 and 7. My budget is 11k. I've come up with 3 options.

1.)local garage - Ford Mondeo 151 with 100k miles. 1.6 tdci basic model, some comeback if any issues €10900
    2.)UK import - Ford Mondeo 152 with 130k miles. 2.0 tdci econetic
    with loads of extras. €8900 including vrt. Small garage with new timing belt fitted (apparently). 3 months warranty and it has a service history (ex royal mail car).
    3.)Northern garage - Hyundai i40 142 with51k miles. 1.7 crdi. €10700 including vrt.

Would there much difference insurance wise??

But the big thing, I'm tempted by the UK Mondeo due to the price but anyone got any advise or thoughts??

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nobody here can tell you how much difference there is in insurance as insurance is based on a number of personal factors which only an insurance company can answer. You will need to ring your current insurer and ask them.

Also how did you arrive at only those 3 cars? 130k miles is fairly above average on a car just going on 5 years old and with any high mileage cars there could be the risk of more expensive maintenance bills in the mid to long term. Have you looked at MPV's at all with individual seats? Might be more suitable given that as your smallest gets bigger they will outgrow the smaller rear centre seat and transmission tunnel in a traditional hatchback or saloon car.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

3 kids into the back of any normal saloon car is way to tight a squeeze .

Wanna be the best mommy or daddy get yourself one of these .

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/23493856

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭digdeep

Hi Baz,
    Thanks for getting back. These are the 3 cars I thought best suited best after doing a good bit of shopping on various websites and a few garages.
    My thinking was to avoid mpvs as the kids get older ( not cool looking) but could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Don't be so concerned with the year of the car, rather go for one with low mileage. I'd be heading to the UK with that budget.

For instance, I'd buy this with low miles rather than a 15 or 16 with 130k on it ;

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201910163374416?advertising-location=at_cars&year-from=2012&maximum-mileage=60000&postcode=bt364pe&model=MONDEO&page=2&aggregatedTrim=TDCi&radius=1500&make=FORD&year-to=2015&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Skoda superb.....

Ideal.

Or Mondeo of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭PaulRyan97

An Opel Insignia is definitely worth a look. My father has one and he loves it. Took it for a drive before, very comfortable and spacious.

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/opel/insignia/fpa/201911023961941

For your own sake, don't touch an insignia.

Why not?

They are an awful, soulless car with well known and documented issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

digdeep wrote: »
    All, I'm shopping around for a family car to take 3 kids in back. Ages are 10, 8 and 7. My budget is 11k. I've come up with 3 options.

1.)local garage - Ford Mondeo 151 with 100k miles. 1.6 tdci basic model, some comeback if any issues €10900
    2.)UK import - Ford Mondeo 152 with 130k miles. 2.0 tdci econetic
    with loads of extras. €8900 including vrt. Small garage with new timing belt fitted (apparently). 3 months warranty and it has a service history (ex royal mail car).
    3.)Northern garage - Hyundai i40 142 with51k miles. 1.7 crdi. €10700 including vrt.

Would there much difference insurance wise??

But the big thing, I'm tempted by the UK Mondeo due to the price but anyone got any advise or thoughts??

Thanks in advance

You won't comfortably fit even the plainest booster seats. Get something designed with three people in the rear.

C4 Grand Picasso, 5008, Alhambra, Galaxy, Smax etc....

• Advertisement

They are an awful, soulless car with well known and documented issues.

I'm aware of the issues with the first generation, mostly the 2008-2011 production year models. As far as I'm aware though from the facelift model on (2014-2017) and the second generation they are fine cars. Their priced a bit lower alright as I assume the reputation was damaged by the earlier models. My father has been driving a 142 Elite for over 2 years and hasn't had a single issue. The neighbour had a 141 as a company car for four years and currently has a 181 second gen model. Says he loves them, uses it tow horse trailers a lot.

digdeep wrote: »
    Hi Baz,
    Thanks for getting back. These are the 3 cars I thought best suited best after doing a good bit of shopping on various websites and a few garages.
    My thinking was to avoid mpvs as the kids get older ( not cool looking) but could be wrong.

I think you need to give it more thought to be honest. Do you want something practical that suits your needs or something less uncool but not suitable longer term? I just cannot see how a Mondeo type car is going to be practical enough for 3 kids that are only going to grow and need full size individual seats. I think you will be forced to change cars again very soon and end up with the same dilemma.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭digdeep

Thanks everyone. Back to the drawing board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

bazz26 wrote: »
    I think you need to give it more thought to be honest. Do you want something practical that suits your needs or something less uncool but not suitable longer term? I just cannot see how a Mondeo type car is going to be practical enough for 3 kids that are only going to grow and need full size individual seats. I think you will be forced to change cars again very soon and end up with the same dilemma.

A Mondeo is designed for 5 adults, what problems will it have with 2 adults and 3 pre teenagers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Del2005 wrote: »
    A Mondeo is designed for 5 adults, what problems will it have with 2 adults and 3 pre teenagers?

3 child seats will not fit side by side on the rear bench of a lot of saloons, that and most only have isofix points for the two outer seats.

So depending on the age of his kids, if he needs 3x child seats or 3 isofix mounted seats it may not work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

It is designed for four adults. It can occasionally take five adults, but they won't enjoy it.

On top of that, kids require more space than adults...

5 adults? Maybe try sitting in the rear centre of one regularly and see how you get on. Stick a car seat in either side of that row and see how two other 2 children get on too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Dia_Anseo

Don't be so concerned with the year of the car, rather go for one with low mileage. I'd be heading to the UK with that budget.

For instance, I'd buy this with low miles rather than a 15 or 16 with 130k on it ;

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201910163374416?advertising-location=at_cars&year-from=2012&maximum-mileage=60000&postcode=bt364pe&model=MONDEO&page=2&aggregatedTrim=TDCi&radius=1500&make=FORD&year-to=2015&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used

You can forget going to the UK for cars like this due to the Nox tax !

But that's only from January 1st next. If he's buying a car now he'll be OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You’d wanna be moving quick. Car needs to be registered by Jan 1st and I foresee a run on cars getting VRTd in December.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Dia_Anseo

It took me 3 weeks wait for an emergency appointment on a UK import last week.

You cannot book online anymore as every VRT appointment is gone across the country.

The dealers are booking up slots to VRT their high Nox cars before 1st Jan 2020.

Some private individuals will get badly stung for 1,000s in January as they wont be aware of the Nox tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

3 child seats will not fit side by side on the rear bench of a lot of saloons, that and most only have isofix points for the two outer seats.

So depending on the age of his kids, if he needs 3x child seats or 3 isofix mounted seats it may not work.

The youngest is 7 so it's highly unlikely that they are still in booster seats. 3 kids will fit fine, we managed more in less space before, and the OP can get a bigger car in a few years if necessary.

Advertisement