Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment Stage 4 (2019 Campaign)

Options
1112113114115116118»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭AF96DUB

congrats guys! Anyone know if HR will be working tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 EdvinasS

PM if anyone else got an offer and I will add yous to the whatsapp group :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 User2589

Just got an offer there over the phone anyone else hear anything

• Registered Users Posts: 41 NorthWestJ

Yea I got an offer back last July without ever meeting a sergeant , inspector or super , so it is possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

covid probably played its role there. Congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭kearns199

well done lads I’m just about to leave the college being attested on the 19th ye will enjoy it

Congratulations! How was it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Vinny312

Hello

what was your OOM was you on the first stage? I did participate of this year competition and I was OOM 3200. Do you this that I have any chance? The total of participants this year were 11.078.

cheers,

Vinny

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Goddard

Hello, has anyone from this group joined and left the process? There are reports a lot of new recruits are leaving after a short period of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Comot73

I got a phone call two weeks ago from appointments offering me the next intake, I was chatting with the person on the phone about training and pay etc and they kinda nicely eluded to the fact that this is going on (training leavers) and they can see why with the current rates of pay during training. I was told that there is a review into the training pay either underway or soon to be, but again, if they can justify it for the last 2 years they will justify it again I would presume.

I applied in May 2019 and had the whole screening done by November 2019 and only got offered the class for this summer, vetting held me up an outrageously long time, I jumped around top 40 OOM the whole time during the stages so that didn't even help me !!

As I said to the person on the phone, who over the age of 25 with any kind of commitments can accept a payment of less than the dole for that long during training ?? Its mind blowing, the only people who can accept are people who know they can walk away and then return to whatever they were previously doing, anyone like myself who has no going back once they come across to AGS can't in their right mind commit to that. That's even before you take into consideration that everything might not be rosy, the job itself if nose diving into a paper work hole, with hands tied worse than ever before. The draw to the career is slowly shrinking.....I won't be able to accept it, and its dissapointing, if it came a year ago I probably could have.

Anyone in the process, don't hold your breath on time scales, anything could happen in between.

I completely agree with your comments. I applied in April 19 and my vetting is still outstanding. I now have my doubts about joining ( if offered a position) I was willing to accept €184 a week for 6 months in templemore but not €184 for effectively a full time role as training is now mostly hands on. I’ve been speaking to some current members and they are completely deflated with as you said so much paperwork. Another member has said it’s has been “destroyed from within”. Over 500 have left since Jan 2021 with a quarter resigning rather than retirement. Maybe a 20 year old can be moulded but hard for anyone 25 and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Post edited by Witcher on

If there is a Paddy from Offaly who did the fitness test in Tempelmore this day last year, drop me a line for a catch up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I turn 35 in September. Am I right in saying I'll be too old for the next recruitment applications?

ie. No way of becoming a guard now?

Won't be heartbroken, was always something in the back of my mind I thought I'd like, just didn't research it properly in time.

At 35 you will be past the age limit. There is talk of raising the age for people to enter and to raise retirement age to 65.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 GH22

Hi all,

Just curious i have my stage 3 meeting next week, what are time lines between interviews if successful ? Ie. How long did you wait to find out if you passed and how long did you wait for your second interview? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Comot73

Class being lined up for end of October…..lots will refuse so should be plenty of spaces

• Registered Users Posts: 25 KaWinNee

What do you mean by "i was willing to accept €184 but not for a full time role as its mostly hands on now".. I havent heard about any change in coursework at templemore. Would happily be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Mc123

What oom did this campaign end up getting to does anyone know?

• Advertisement

The training changed during Covid..you now do a period as a Trainee out in a station without powers, observing only.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Irishguy215702

just a few things for applicants to consider when applying for the guards and need to go into it with eyes open:

Pension: many people join thinking the pension is great. we get fed this from our parents who are basing it on their era from their age. anyone joining post 2013 the pension is disgraceful. you will get about 215-230 euro a week when you reture at 60, which is in line with the old age pension which everyone in none state jobs get. when you join a station you will quickly be told of this and advised to pay into your own AVC to supplement your poor garda pension. this fact is kept very quiet as it no doubt will affect peoples thinking when applying for this job and correctly so. the lump sum payment at retirement has also been slashed since 2013. nobody realises this and isnt publicised about in the media nor will you find it marketed by the guards as a reason to join as it doesnt exist anymore. people are walking in blind thinking great pension setting me up for life

Trainee wages: since 2020 and covid, the structure for trainees has changed. The 184 euro a week has been extended from the college settings to the workplace where you now get paid 184 euro a week in your training station as a student guard while working 12 hr shifts and nights etc not just 184 euro in the college ans bed and food taken care of.

Rosters: as you may have read rosters are under discussion. despite the current one proposed being rejected by the GRA for non core guards to be working 78 days extra a year working 7 days on, 2 days off, 7 days on 3 days off on 9 to 5 hrs, and lose thousands due to not working to non social hours. this new roster is still going live despite rejection from the people it affects most resulting in extra childcare fees due to working more days, fuel costs for travelling to work more often. management have power to do this without consent which is shocking in the day and age of work life balance and 4 day weeks being considered by private sector employers now.

Work: I appreciate many have wanted to be guards since childhood and want it desperately for whatever is their reasons. if its for the day to day work then be prepared that it is all paper work orientated. everything is reports, duplication and beurocracy which snows everyone under. helping decent people is actually rare who for the majority will rarely come into contact with guards in their lives but to get passports sorted etc. you will mainly be refereeing domestics with people who call you to get one over on an ex partner due to child custody or if its current partners they will later withdraw complaints but for it to start again further down the line, mental health persons which you are not trained to deal with, frauds which you will be beating your head off a wall trying to progress but cant due to banks delaying you and outside of this any other crimes tend to be between one low life against another one or wrestling with drunk lads on cold rainy nights out facing taking a punch or a kick.

morale is rock bottom in the job, people are resigning in their droves as they see the realities and the work load expected of them, the day of staying in the job until retirement is in the past now which used to be the case for sure. i know many will view this as overly negative summary of the job so what i would advise is before following through with it talk to others you know in the job and hear what they have to say first. i dont know anyone in it that would recommend it anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jahcork

can anyone from this campaign give some insight into the job? I have all stages complete and waiting on an offer, however I am not sure whether to accept or not as i would be leaving a good paying job. the sergeant i met for the vetting asked was i crazy ? he said the job involves so much paperwork etc

He's right. Stay well clear. If you can go home at 5pm every day and not worry about work until you go back..stay where you are.

Irishguy's post above is a good summary of the job.

Advertisement