Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment Stage 4 (2019 Campaign)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Tmac35

How long did it take?

Just over 2hrs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ClaireMcGrath

MrMiata wrote: »
    I got word last Tuesday that I passed my interview but haven’t heard from them since, was this the same for most people?

I had my interview in mid-October and found out two days afterwards that I'd passed it. I think I got the email about my PCT around the first week of November (6th I think) and it gave me a month's notice of the scheduled date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Coon93

MrMiata wrote: »
    Great thank you, did you have your PCT between then or was it a case of getting the form B and then the PCT?

They give you about two weeks to fill in Form B and send it back. After those two weeks they will send you the GP Clearance Form and again you have two weeks to send it back. When you have that done they will give you a date for the PCT. You only get two weeks notice for the PCT so if you need to do any training for it you’d be better off starting now just so you’ll have plenty of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭daniel1390

As long as its under 30 you will pass, under 25 is ideal but won't fail on bmi unless it's over 30

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭LB1197

Does anyone know if they provide lunch at the fitness test or do you have to bring your own food with you? Is there anywhere to get food while you're there seems as how it's a long day.

• Advertisement

No food provided I'm afraid. After your first part of the PCT, you will gather in a canteen where there is a shop with tea coffee etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kat2020

Hey Guys, has anyone else had problems with their Form B being sent back a few times, I’ve a half sister who would be estranged from the family and I have no details for her father only a name but HQ are looking for a date of birth which is proving impossible to source or they can’t process the application as it would be incomplete, just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems? Thanks

daniel1390 wrote: »
    No food provided I'm afraid. After your first part of the PCT, you will gather in a canteen where there is a shop with tea coffee etc

Okay thanks for replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 papster97

In regards to the PCT, does anyone know if the instructor holds your feet down for the sit ups? Also, is it possible to take your shoes off for the press ups?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Tmac35

papster97 wrote: »
    In regards to the PCT, does anyone know if the instructor holds your feet down for the sit ups? Also, is it possible to take your shoes off for the press ups?

Yep they hold your feet or stand on them, not sure about no shoes for press ups...

• Advertisement

Does anyone know how strict they are on the push ups. Like do I have to come all the way up to my knees or just partially? Also how difficult did everyone find the beep test? Is it as bad as what it's made out to be to get 8.8?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I presume you mean sit ups, elbows past your knees. No crunches

Witcher wrote: »
    I presume you mean sit ups, elbows past your knees. No crunches

Yeah that's what I meant. Thanks. Is there much of a gap between the beep test and them asking you to do the push ups and sit ups?

I was just wondering is the place where they make you do the beep test in the same place as it's shown in the youtube video or is it in a different hall?

Different hall

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Frenchjoe87

Can someone please tell me how long after taking the fitness will you be taking the medical.

How does it work do they give you a date straight away or do you have to wait to hear from hrm or what's the craic. Is it likely to be a day or two or a week or two or longer after the fitness.

Its getting near impossible to plan and arrange things around all of this. There is only so many short notice days you can take off from work.

Can someone please tell me how long after taking the fitness will you be taking the medical.

How does it work do they give you a date straight away or do you have to wait to hear from hrm or what's the craic. Is it likely to be a day or two or a week or two or longer after the fitness.

Its getting near impossible to plan and arrange things around all of this. There is only so many short notice days you can take off from work.

I had a week between them - they sent me an email about having the PCT and then sent another email around a day or two after that initial email to tell me that if I am successful with the PCT I will be required to attend a medical at Headquarters on the Tuesday/Wednesday the week after the PCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BlazenIce69

Maybe a long shot but has anyone travelled from Galway to templemore for PCT ? It's just under 2 hrs driving but it's around 5 hours or more using public transport ! My PCT is on the 18/2 at 4 and I'm worried about getting up and back . Any info would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Edsjd

ba88 wrote: »
    Yeah that seems to be the general gist alright. Best of luck with it! As I said hope to be down before long!

That would suggest March/April - what was the conversation like? Have met the Sergeant but no word on meeting the Super just yet.
    Sorry I've béen offline for a spell. Conversation went well. Twas basically like an intro to the job....what the Gardaí do etc......nice fella he was....

I had a week between them - they sent me an email about having the PCT and then sent another email around a day or two after that initial email to tell me that if I am successful with the PCT I will be required to attend a medical at Headquarters on the Tuesday/Wednesday the week after the PCT.

Thanks for that. I've never received any email about a medical yet and I got a date for my fitness two weeks ago. Is anyone else in that same boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 ConcreteAngel

Thanks for that. I've never received any email about a medical yet and I got a date for my fitness two weeks ago. Is anyone else in that same boat.

I done my fitness last Tuesday and got an email on Thursday for my medical this Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ba88

Did you fail by much.

I've to get to level 8.1 and I'm struggling.

I hear some people saying level 8 is achievable even with an average level of fitness but I think it's very tough. I see the English police force requires just 5.1 for a pass in their fitness test.

If the gardai are struggling to get the numbers they say they are, I think the beep test should be revised to a lower level and then maybe after entry increased to a higher level.

I've heard it is a bit extreme in terms of comparison to UK forces but I know that the Met have fitness tests every year which the Gardai don't. No fitness tests once you finish training.

I would suggest just sticking with it and not let it get into your head too much. I think a lot of people are almost beaten by it before they start it.

ba88 wrote: »
    I've heard it is a bit extreme in terms of comparison to UK forces but I know that the Met have fitness tests every year which the Gardai don't. No fitness tests once you finish training.

I would suggest just sticking with it and not let it get into your head too much. I think a lot of people are almost beaten by it before they start it.

Thanks yeah it's going to be mind over matter and I hope on the day like everything else it will just fly by.

Just about the met and the fitness, personally I think it should be like that here also. A moderate fitness test annually would be far more beneficial to both the individual garda and the force as a whole besides an all or nothing approach at the start and then free reign to let yourself get as out of shape as you like for the rest of your career.

And if I fail the beep test drew Harris will be getting a letter to that effect ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ba88

Thanks yeah it's going to be mind over matter and I hope on the day like everything else it will just fly by.

Just about the met and the fitness, personally I think it should be like that here also. A moderate fitness test annually would be far more beneficial to both the individual garda and the force as a whole besides an all or nothing approach at the start and then free reign to let yourself get as out of shape as you like for the rest of your career.

And if I fail the beep test drew Harris will be getting a letter to that effect ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

Ah look sure it is what it is regardless of how fair it might seem. Just get the head down and motor through. The bleep is the hardest part of it or at least that's what I found. Commissioner Harris has got bigger things to be worrying about :).

Best of luck with it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Johnmurphy321

How long do you wait after sending form b? Sent mine last Monday haven’t heard back since

daniel1390 wrote: »
    Different hall

Thanks

How long do you wait after sending form b? Sent mine last Monday haven’t heard back since

How long is a piece of string :'D

Seriously though - you're not going to hear anything back for a very long time, unless you're missing a piece of information (name, address, date of birth etc) from form B.

The campaign will continue, you'll get your GP clearance form, PCT date and medical and you still might hear nothing back about form B. Take it as a good sign though, if you hear anything back then the whole process will stop until they've sorted out whatever issue they might have with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Johnmurphy321

How long is a piece of string :'D

Seriously though - you're not going to hear anything back for a very long time, unless you're missing a piece of information (name, address, date of birth etc) from form B.

The campaign will continue, you'll get your GP clearance form, PCT date and medical and you still might hear nothing back about form B. Take it as a good sign though, if you hear anything back then the whole process will stop until they've sorted out whatever issue they might have with it.

I meant like how long does it take to get gp clearance after you’ve sent form B? I get you though I just gotta be patient

• Registered Users Posts: 37 deenam

I meant like how long does it take to get gp clearance after you’ve sent form B? I get you though I just gotta be patient

Mine was roughly 3 weeks between the two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Aaron123

Good luck everyone doing the pct today ðŸ‘

Advertisement