Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment Stage 4 (2019 Campaign)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Edsjd

Witcher wrote: »
    The beep is to say youve travelled the required distance end to end with the handle.

A right that probably what confused me! How do they score the bleep test? That what I failed

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭St.Brigids

ba88 wrote: »
    The machine should beep though when you have pushed and pulled to the required strength.

I got a beep when I was doing it on each stroke and still failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ba88

St.Brigids wrote: »

Right so - just goes to show what I know :)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ClaireMcGrath

St.Brigids wrote: »

The beeps are to signal that you've reached the end of a stroke - pull back when you hear the beep, push forward when you hear the beep.

Just because you do that correctly though, it doesn't mean you've generated the required force needed. I met each beep the first campaign I was in - but I still fell below the 25kg.

During this campaign I focused on speed during the obstacle course (sprinting as much as I could, jumping far off the gate etc) and got it done is two minutes and three seconds, which means I only had to generate 22.5kg (I think) on the push/pull.

The first time I did the push/pull, I focused too much on 'oh, I better do as many strokes as I can!', and I think I was mentally still in beep test mode for it. This time I paid far more attention to the force I put behind it - no joke, I was hanging out of it. I'm 5 foot (almost) 3, so the handles were halfway between my chest and chin - nearly came a cropper and belted myself in the chin once or twice on the backwards pull, but I gave it absolute welly and used my legs more than my upper body and passed it back in November :)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭St.Brigids

The beeps are to signal that you've reached the end of a stroke - pull back when you hear the beep, push forward when you hear the beep.

Just because you do that correctly though, it doesn't mean you've generated the required force needed. I met each beep the first campaign I was in - but I still fell below the 25kg.

During this campaign I focused on speed during the obstacle course (sprinting as much as I could, jumping far off the gate etc) and got it done is two minutes and three seconds, which means I only had to generate 22.5kg (I think) on the push/pull.

The first time I did the push/pull, I focused too much on 'oh, I better do as many strokes as I can!', and I think I was mentally still in beep test mode for it. This time I paid far more attention to the force I put behind it - no joke, I was hanging out of it. I'm 5 foot (almost) 3, so the handles were halfway between my chest and chin - nearly came a cropper and belted myself in the chin once or twice on the backwards pull, but I gave it absolute welly and used my legs more than my upper body and passed it back in November :)

This is great to know. So don’t need to worry about speed as such just push with as much force as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Briano1996

If you fail badly on the fitness test will they still call you for a retest?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭SquireD

Briano1996 wrote: »
    If you fail badly on the fitness test will they still call you for a retest?

Yep, they will

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Briano1996

SquireD wrote: »
    Yep, they will

Cheers thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Frenchjoe87

How do you mean in this campaign? What happened that you got as far as the fitness and then needed to apply again for another campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MoNerney1

This is good to know. I have to re do stage 2 push/pull again so does that mean at the retest Ill have to wait till very end also?

• Advertisement

How do you mean in this campaign? What happened that you got as far as the fitness and then needed to apply again for another campaign.

It's a bit of a long story - basically I first applied in the 2018 campaign. Passed everything including the medical (back then they sent you to the CMO before you did the PCT). Had my meeting with the Super and everything. I failed the beep test and the push/pull on my first PCT.

Disheartening, yes, but okay - let's go hell for leather for the retest right? Got myself signed up to a gym in town, did three personal training classes a week that focused on strength and conditioning, did two spinning classes a week for cardio, and did jogging/running in my own time.

But then 12 weeks went by. And then another 12 ... and more weeks, no word from HRM about the retest. So I emailed them in March 2019 asking about what was going on with my application.

I got an email to say that I had my PCT retest was now scheduled for March 1st and that I 'must attend' or my application would be more or less terminated. This was less than two weeks notice. I'd gotten lazy over Christmas season because I'd slipped on a wet floor in the factory where I work and ended up out on certs for three/four weeks, so I'd done very little exercising over the Christmas/January period.

I went to the PCT retest and passed everything except the beep test - I needed 6.6 and got 6.1 (so close, yet so far...). One of the instructor's there pulled me aside and advised me to appeal seems I'd clearly brought it to their attention that I'd been injured and hadn't been asked to attend or supply another medical/clearance form.

Basically you have grounds to appeal if you feel you've been unfairly treated. I wrote and email and sent a letter detailing why I thought I should be granted an appeal, listing my main reasons being that they had clearly forgotten/lost my application seems there was such a gap between my PCT and my retest. It had been more than 12 months since I had undergone a medical. The language used in the email put me under duress and made me feel that I had no other option but to attend the retest, irrelevant of my recent injury etc, etc. etc.

I got an email back saying that they were currently 'reviewing the appeal process' and that that moment in time, I didn't 'meet the criteria required' for an appeal to be granted .... so, I dunno what does meet the criteria to be honest :/

I was lucky that a new campaign opened up then, so I started from scratch all over again. :)

MoNerney1 wrote: »
    This is good to know. I have to re do stage 2 push/pull again so does that mean at the retest Ill have to wait till very end also?

Afraid so my friend ... my twin sister was in the same boat. And no, unfortunately you can't arrive later just for that bit. You have to show up with everyone else to attend the induction/lecture bit where you're split into your different groups, then I suggest you head for the coffee dock/glass building.

Bring a tablet/laptop/book with you, it'll be a long day of mostly sitting around for you until it's time to do the obstacle course and push/pull :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jadeie.t

Hey guys just wondering does anybody know anything about the appeals process or how you go about it? Thank you!

It's a bit of a long story - basically I first applied in the 2018 campaign. Passed everything including the medical (back then they sent you to the CMO before you did the PCT). Had my meeting with the Super and everything. I failed the beep test and the push/pull on my first PCT.

Disheartening, yes, but okay - let's go hell for leather for the retest right? Got myself signed up to a gym in town, did three personal training classes a week that focused on strength and conditioning, did two spinning classes a week for cardio, and did jogging/running in my own time.

But then 12 weeks went by. And then another 12 ... and more weeks, no word from HRM about the retest. So I emailed them in March 2019 asking about what was going on with my application.

I got an email to say that I had my PCT retest was now scheduled for March 1st and that I 'must attend' or my application would be more or less terminated. This was less than two weeks notice. I'd gotten lazy over Christmas season because I'd slipped on a wet floor in the factory where I work and ended up out on certs for three/four weeks, so I'd done very little exercising over the Christmas/January period.

I went to the PCT retest and passed everything except the beep test - I needed 6.6 and got 6.1 (so close, yet so far...). One of the instructor's there pulled me aside and advised me to appeal seems I'd clearly brought it to their attention that I'd been injured and hadn't been asked to attend or supply another medical/clearance form.

Basically you have grounds to appeal if you feel you've been unfairly treated. I wrote and email and sent a letter detailing why I thought I should be granted an appeal, listing my main reasons being that they had clearly forgotten/lost my application seems there was such a gap between my PCT and my retest. It had been more than 12 months since I had undergone a medical. The language used in the email put me under duress and made me feel that I had no other option but to attend the retest, irrelevant of my recent injury etc, etc. etc.

I got an email back saying that they were currently 'reviewing the appeal process' and that that moment in time, I didn't 'meet the criteria required' for an appeal to be granted .... so, I dunno what does meet the criteria to be honest :/

I was lucky that a new campaign opened up then, so I started from scratch all over again. :)

That sounds like such tough luck. It's very unfair that you weren't called as normal for your retest.

Its shows great determination on your part to re apply and try again from the start.

That sounds like such tough luck. It's very unfair that you weren't called as normal for your retest.

Its shows great determination on your part to re apply and try again from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 papster97

Hi guys I’m struggling to hit the sit up quota. As I get towards my last 5 I can’t seem to keep my hands behind my head / on my temple. PCT is Tuesday. Hope this doesn’t let me down, any advice is welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cluedo123

papster97 wrote: »
    Hi guys I’m struggling to hit the sit up quota. As I get towards my last 5 I can’t seem to keep my hands behind my bad / on my temple. PCT is Tuesday. Hope this doesn’t let me down, any advice is welcome!

Build up endurance, instead of trying to keep doing the full set straight off. I did like a downward pyramid with a 40 second break in between sets for practice, same with push ups.

10 sit-ups - break
    9 sit ups - break
    8 sits ups and so on,

Then when I got down to 1, I tried to do as many as I can to see what I’m like whilst fatigued. Increase the number once you get comfortable.

Breathing through them is important, take a breath in on way down and blow it out on way up. This keeps muscles oxygenated which helps keep the lactic acid and cramps at bay.

Make sure you use Monday as a rest day, maybe go for a light jog. Eat good and clean over the next few days, keep hydrated. Lucozade sport half an hour before its showtime, and go for gold.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MoNerney1

Afraid so my friend ... my twin sister was in the same boat. And no, unfortunately you can't arrive later just for that bit. You have to show up with everyone else to attend the induction/lecture bit where you're split into your different groups, then I suggest you head for the coffee dock/glass building.

Bring a tablet/laptop/book with you, it'll be a long day of mostly sitting around for you until it's time to do the obstacle course and push/pull :(

Cheers , thanks for that. If you have any suggestions how to train for push/pull. My strength wasn’t strong enough but the beeps were grand. Any particular machine in the gym t b using that would b great. need to work on my upper body strength anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Larpeyton

Hi guys, just wondering how strict they are about deferring Pct. I have mine next Tuesday and I’ve been out of work sick the last two days and I don’t seem to be getting any better? Just wondering how would you go about deferring I presume I’d need to get a sick cert from the gp? Cheers thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭daniel1390

Yes correct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭howsitgoingboy

Well lads,

I have my PCT on the 25th and have a GAA club game on the 21st. If ye were in my situation would ye go ahead and play the game or would ye give it a miss to make sure you’re 100%. All advice appreciated. This process means so much to me but just want opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AD07

Has anyone here appealed the PCT if so how long were ye waiting to hear back about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cluedo123

Well lads,

I have my PCT on the 25th and have a GAA club game on the 21st. If ye were in my situation would ye go ahead and play the game or would ye give it a miss to make sure you’re 100%. All advice appreciated. This process means so much to me but just want opinions.

I would give it a miss, I wouldn’t risk any injuries that might set you back. I’m sure the club will understand that you’re pursuing a career goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Johnmurphy321

Well lads,

Is it championship?

Is it championship?

No it’s only a cup game before the league. Kind of like O Byrne cup for clubs. It’s not a big game or anything.

cluedo123 wrote: »
    I would give it a miss, I wouldn’t risk any injuries that might set you back. I’m sure the club will understand that you’re pursuing a career goal.

Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ConcreteAngel

Well lads,

Don't play the game. I missed out on a cup final in soccer and passed the PCT so it was worth it

Don't play the game. I missed out on a cup final in soccer and passed the PCT so it was worth it

Thanks mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Dent67

Hey, does anyone know much about the medical, in terms of hearing esp , because I have really bad right hearing, just wondering because I have a hearing aid and obvs the test is with out, but do they fail you because of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭daniel1390

I would think that this would rule you out unfortunately, but best to give HR a call, hearing and eyesight have to be done completely unaided, without hearing aid r glasses/contacts etc

Advertisement