Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment Stage 4 (2019 Campaign)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 papster97

LB1197 wrote: »
    Did anyone have to get 8.8 in the beep test and find it okay? I failed mine but passed everything else. I heard there will be a repeat in approx six weeks but really dont know if I'm going to be able to score that high. Feels a bit disheartening because I've done all the hard work and this test is letting me down.

What score did you get to and what sort of training did you do for it? I have mine on Tuesday, hoping im fit enough to hit 8.8

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Frenchjoe87

When the time comes that you get an offer. How are you contacted. Is it by email or phone call. I work overseas a few weeks of each month and at times my phone dips in and out of network coverage for several hours at a time. I'd like to be prepared to make sure I dont miss any calls from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭daniel1390

You get an email

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Xtinab

I sent back my Gp clearance on Friday 14th(yesterday) and I got an email two hours later with a time for the 6th of March. Just 3 weeks notice for the Pct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Dent67

Yea same for me, sent the go clearance back on Thursday afternoon and got a email yesterday for the 6th at 9am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Kerrystar93

Have the Medical this Wednesday . Would a few beers do any harm today?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 papster97

Hurt a calf muscle training in the field today. How would you go about deferring the PCT? Would I have to go see a physio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ClaireMcGrath

Have the Medical this Wednesday . Would a few beers do any harm today?

Nah - the medical is pretty straight forward. Go in, fill out a quick questionnaire, grab a cup to pee in, sit there for 30mins to an hour holding your cup of pee for all to see.

Then get called in by the nurse, give her the questionnaire you filled out and the cup of pee, she'll ask you to take your shoes and socks off and she'll weigh you and measure your height. After that it'll be into the soundproof booth to check your hearing - headphones on and a buzzer in your right hand, press the button every time you hear a tone (in either ear).

After that she'll send you back out to sit in the hall for another while (for me it was about another hour and a half), the doctor calls you in then. He asks you to look into one of those machines and read the card, the print gets progressively smaller with each card and you just read them off as you see them. After that it's the usual colour-blindness test, read what numbers you see in the middle of the coloured dots.
    papster97 wrote: »
    Hurt a calf muscle training in the field today. How would you go about deferring the PCT? Would I have to go see a physio?

I would suggest going to your local GP and getting a letter stating your injury - I'm not too sure whether HRM would accept it just from a physio when it's the GP they asked for to sign the clearance form, and get them to state on it that they do not think you would be fit to complete the PCT at this time due to the injury. Just to be safe, go to the GP, then email HRM stating that you've injured yourself and attach the letter.

They will probably ask for you to supply a letter from your doctor when you are recovered from the injury too - like a 'back to work form' when you've been out sick/injured from work essentially.

Then he'll ask you to stand up, bend over and reach your toes, ask you to do a few movements (wrists, shoulders etc) then feel your abdomen for any tenderness. He'll ask some questions - any lumps, bumps etc?

A few drinks should be fine - the only thing I'd suggest is staying away from loud music and try make sure you don't get a cold. I was absolutely dying of cold and it made the hearing test very hard because I kept coughing in the middle of it.

Nah - the medical is pretty straight forward. Go in, fill out a quick questionnaire, grab a cup to pee in, sit there for 30mins to an hour holding your cup of pee for all to see.

Then get called in by the nurse, give her the questionnaire you filled out and the cup of pee, she'll ask you to take your shoes and socks off and she'll weigh you and measure your height. After that it'll be into the soundproof booth to check your hearing - headphones on and a buzzer in your right hand, press the button every time you hear a tone (in either ear).

After that she'll send you back out to sit in the hall for another while (for me it was about another hour and a half), the doctor calls you in then. He asks you to look into one of those machines and read the card, the print gets progressively smaller with each card and you just read them off as you see them. After that it's the usual colour-blindness test, read what numbers you see in the middle of the coloured dots.

I would suggest going to your local GP and getting a letter stating your injury - I'm not too sure whether HRM would accept it just from a physio when it's the GP they asked for to sign the clearance form, and get them to state on it that they do not think you would be fit to complete the PCT at this time due to the injury. Just to be safe, go to the GP, then email HRM stating that you've injured yourself and attach the letter.

They will probably ask for you to supply a letter from your doctor when you are recovered from the injury too - like a 'back to work form' when you've been out sick/injured from work essentially.

Then he'll ask you to stand up, bend over and reach your toes, ask you to do a few movements (wrists, shoulders etc) then feel your abdomen for any tenderness. He'll ask some questions - any lumps, bumps etc?

A few drinks should be fine - the only thing I'd suggest is staying away from loud music and try make sure you don't get a cold. I was absolutely dying of cold and it made the hearing test very hard because I kept coughing in the middle of it.

Do you get told on the day if you fail anything. It your bmi is over 30 are you failed. I seen a post on here few weeks back that someone was let through with a bmi higher than 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 darragh12345

Hi All,

I have an irish exam in the coming weeks and looking for somebody who has set the exam before maybe and could give me abit of advice on what is coming up? I have been getting grinds.

• Advertisement

Have to see your gp and get a sick note

A bmi of over 30 is a straight fail. In this case they may give you 12 weeks to get the weight down, happened someone I know, but they won't pass you with a bmi of over 29.9

is that for men and women not to be over 30? Regardless of height also

Yes regardless of height and gender

daniel1390 wrote: »
    Yes regardless of height and gender
    thanks for that 👌ðŸ»

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Whatyagonnnado

Height is taken into account with BMI. It is literally a measurement of kg/m2 :-)
    [HTML][/HTML][QUOTE=Dent67;11256147[PHP][/PHP]1]is that for men and women not to be over 30? Regardless of height also[/QUOTE]

Sorry ye I know height is obviously taken into account, thought the question was would you passed if tall with a high bmi

daniel1390 wrote: »
    Sorry ye I know height is obviously taken into account, thought the question was would you passed if tall with a high bmi

BMI is calculated using your height. So I'm five foot three, and I weigh about 65kg - that gives me a BMI of 25.4.

Someone who is six foot three and weighing the same as me would generate a BMI of 17.8 - which is waaaaaay underweight. For someone that height to generate around the same BMI as me, they'd have to weight around 93kg.

So if you're tall and you still calculate a BMI above 30, it's very likely you'll get a deferral.

I hope this helped a little?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Aaron123

If you put your height and weight into Google it will give you your BMI

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rana47

Hi lads . I applied for garda 2019. I sent my form b and was just wondering about garda vetting for an international applicant. The family addresses i gave them, they are all over the country. Does anyone know how they do garda vetting in another country? Do they go online or does someone from the local garda in that country go personally to the address i gave to them on form b? And how long does it take? Still waiting to hear back for pct and other process
    Thanks in advanace

• Advertisement

Is there anyone on this waiting to take the stage 3 interview. If you're looking for a good prep course let me recommend Vincent o brien from G.C.B.I hes a retired super based in letterkenny.

100% I wouldn't have passed the interview without doing the course with him.

Pm me if you want his details or you can find him on Google if you search GCBI

• Registered Users Posts: 32 NathanG5060

Is there anyone on this waiting to take the stage 3 interview. If you're looking for a good prep course let me recommend Vincent o brien from G.C.B.I hes a retired super based in letterkenny.

100% I wouldn't have passed the interview without doing the course with him.

Pm me if you want his details or you can find him on Google if you search GCBI

I had my interview in October and I went through GCBI Too. Got in touch with a retired Super from Donegal John McFadden and to say the least he was absolutely fantastic. He brought me through interview techniques and couldn’t have been more helpful. Wouldn’t have passed the interview without him! And I’m now just waiting on the phone call to tell me when the next intake is so I’m over the moon! Definitely if you’ve an interview coming up get in touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Larpeyton

This is probably a stupid question but it hardly matters if you have a beard for pct?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 peader06

Larpeyton wrote: »
    This is probably a stupid question but it hardly matters if you have a beard for pct?

No you only need to shave when you get in

• Registered Users Posts: 26 peader06

Do you get told on the day if you fail anything. It your bmi is over 30 are you failed. I seen a post on here few weeks back that someone was let through with a bmi higher than 30.

You will get told on the day if you pass or fail, I got through with a bmi of 31 I think it was. It will depend on all the factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Goddard

I am currently filling out the Form B.
    They ask for permission if the local Garda wants to call your current employer for a reference. Needless to say i haven't told my current employer I'm looking for a new role as i would be sacked!

Has anyone had their current employer called for reference?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cluedo123

Goddard wrote: »
    They ask for permission if the local Garda wants to call your current employer for a reference. Needless to say i haven't told my current employer I'm looking for a new role as i would be sacked!

All my references were contacted, but I didn’t stipulate it may be an issue if they did make contact.

Goddard wrote: »

Yup - I didn't tell my employer because I already got punished for 'not asking for permission' before I applied for a similar role in another premises (fyi, the other premises was a factory owned by the same group who owns the one I work in now. I was working there because all their Quality/Technical officers had left ... so even though I was working there already, I wasn't allowed to apply for the better-paid vacancy without asking my manager's permission ... don't even ask.)

They knew I had been thinking about the Gardaí and told me that they would give me further training and increase my wages if I chose to stay with them for the next three years. I lied and said grand, knowing it was just a carrot on a stick and they were empty promises.

Long story short ... the Gardaí called another person I had as a reference, he text me to let me know they'd been in contact and in the same day they called my current employer, so that effectively let the cat out of the bag.

That was back in January and I've been suffering for it ever since I'm afraid ... I'm just telling myself to stick it out until I get a start date for Templemore. That's all you can do - it'll be worth the stick in the end :)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Goddard

Yup - I didn't tell my employer because I already got punished for 'not asking for permission' before I applied for a similar role in another premises (fyi, the other premises was a factory owned by the same group who owns the one I work in now. I was working there because all their Quality/Technical officers had left ... so even though I was working there already, I wasn't allowed to apply for the better-paid vacancy without asking my manager's permission ... don't even ask.)

They knew I had been thinking about the Gardaí and told me that they would give me further training and increase my wages if I chose to stay with them for the next three years. I lied and said grand, knowing it was just a carrot on a stick and they were empty promises.

Long story short ... the Gardaí called another person I had as a reference, he text me to let me know they'd been in contact and in the same day they called my current employer, so that effectively let the cat out of the bag.

That was back in January and I've been suffering for it ever since I'm afraid ... I'm just telling myself to stick it out until I get a start date for Templemore. That's all you can do - it'll be worth the stick in the end :)

Thank you Claire. I’ll just have to decline them permission as it would most defiantly get me sacked. I’ll explain to Garda HR why.
    Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Emailed HR to ask about vetting, got the response "awaiting final decision by senior management", does this mean vetting is done for anyone who has been through the process. TIA.

Advertisement