Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment Stage 4 (2019 Campaign)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ClaireMcGrath

For anyone whose done the medical, is it normally done on one particular day of the week or does it vary and if you cant make an appointment how accommodating are they with a reschedule.

Trying to juggle work and this keeping this craic going is getting tougher and tougher

I got an email telling me if I were successful with my PCT, I'd have a Medical on the Wednesday or Thursday of the week after, which also stated 'The onus is on each applicant to make themselves available to attend for each aspect of the Garda Trainee Competition'.

When I passed the PCT, I then got an email with a letter of invitation that stated the date and time I needed to be at the Garda Headquarters for the Medical.

It honestly varies from day to day, the first campaign I was in, I think I had it on a Saturday. And it's on you to show up, without a genuine GP note to say you're unfit to go (which would kinda raise more questions tbh), I don't think they'd reschedule.

I went and my current employer had no idea what I was going for, I told my Manager I had a doctor's appointment when I went for the PCT, and then when I passed that I told her that I needed either Wednesday or Thursday off the following week for a follow up to discuss my results ... then told her I didn't really want to discuss it in work when she tried to ask if I was ill or what the doctor was for. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cherrywoodgirl

Coon93 wrote: »
    The timeline was pretty much the same for 2019. They call people in batches, where you are placed on the Order of Merit(OOM) also plays a part in this. Your OOM will go up/down after completing every stage.
    For example after stage 1 my OOM was in the 880s so I was in the first batch to be called for stage 2, after which my OOM was in the 10s. I had the stage 3 interview in August, OOM in 110s. In September they sent out Form B which you have a couple of weeks to fill in. In October they sent the GP Clearance Form. Had the PCT then in November (If you fail the PCT you are looking at a retest anywhere from 6-12 weeks later). Then a week or two after is the medical. You will also have to meet a local Superintendent/Sergeant at some stage after sending back Form B and they don’t really give you much notice of that. I got a call on a Monday evening, said I had the PCT on the Tuesday and was told to be in the station at 9am on the Wednesday.
    I hope this was helpful

Oh wow thanks a million so it's not really clear cut like it's a long oul process and depends on how you score!
    I really appreciate your help and honesty here..
    I'll hold off on booking any flights for now!

Do you know like if you fail one part and then pass the retest are you down the bottom of the pile for being called? Or once you make it through all the stages do you actually definitely get in or do they only take certain amount of numbers?

Laura

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Frenchjoe87

I got an email telling me if I were successful with my PCT, I'd have a Medical on the Wednesday or Thursday of the week after, which also stated 'The onus is on each applicant to make themselves available to attend for each aspect of the Garda Trainee Competition'.

When I passed the PCT, I then got an email with a letter of invitation that stated the date and time I needed to be at the Garda Headquarters for the Medical.

It honestly varies from day to day, the first campaign I was in, I think I had it on a Saturday. And it's on you to show up, without a genuine GP note to say you're unfit to go (which would kinda raise more questions tbh), I don't think they'd reschedule.

I went and my current employer had no idea what I was going for, I told my Manager I had a doctor's appointment when I went for the PCT, and then when I passed that I told her that I needed either Wednesday or Thursday off the following week for a follow up to discuss my results ... then told her I didn't really want to discuss it in work when she tried to ask if I was ill or what the doctor was for. :rolleyes:

Thanks for that, I done my pct last Tuesday the 18th and passed everything and have received no word of a medical yet. I was expecting it this week or to have at least got a date for it but nothing has come threw.

I guess I'll just have to hold tight for another while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Dent67

Thanks for that, I done my pct last Tuesday the 18th and passed everything and have received no word of a medical yet. I was expecting it this week or to have at least got a date for it but nothing has come threw.

I guess I'll just have to hold tight for another while

I actually rang yesterday for a rough idea of a medical and was told that there had been no Doctor lined up for March yet but said when they come available they be sending the invite out, as she quoted “there’s a lot of people waiting for this part”

• Registered Users Posts: 31 papster97

For the medical if I was 1-2 pounds over the weight would I be failed? I do lift weights and am finding it difficult to lose these last few lbs ahead of medical tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cluedo123

papster97 wrote: »
    For the medical if I was 1-2 pounds over the weight would I be failed? I do lift weights and am finding it difficult to lose these last few lbs ahead of medical tomorrow

It won’t be weight that dictates it, it will be the overall bmi. You’re fine upto 30 on the bmi scale.

Best of luck!

cluedo123 wrote: »
    It won’t be weight that dictates it, it will be the overall bmi. You’re fine upto 30 on the bmi scale.

Best of luck!

my worry is i am slightly over 30

papster97 wrote: »
    my worry is i am slightly over 30

You may be okay, if it’s like 30.2 or something. I know someone deferred as was over 31 - I think it depends on several factors and the picture of your overall health.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Edsjd

For those who had to repeat the PCT....how long between failing and getting the date for Your repeat??

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭St.Brigids

Edsjd wrote: »
    For those who had to repeat the PCT....how long between failing and getting the date for Your repeat??

I failed on the 14th jan and passed repeat yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 SazO997

I'm having awful issues trying to send my form B back, it keeps telling me the file size is too big to send. My heart is broke trying everything and it just won't seem to send as one file.. Anyone help please!

SazO997 wrote: »
    I'm having awful issues trying to send my form B back, it keeps telling me the file size is too big to send. My heart is broke trying everything and it just won't seem to send as one file.. Anyone help please!

had the same problem it was the file that they sent it to me on, i actually had to download a file off the internet out and fill it out manually that way. Don't use the file they sent, text comes off the page!

SazO997 wrote: »

I googled websites that condense file sizes, eventually I got it to what it should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Coon93

Oh wow thanks a million so it's not really clear cut like it's a long oul process and depends on how you score!
    I really appreciate your help and honesty here..
    I'll hold off on booking any flights for now!

Do you know like if you fail one part and then pass the retest are you down the bottom of the pile for being called? Or once you make it through all the stages do you actually definitely get in or do they only take certain amount of numbers?

Laura

No problem. If I were you I’d definitely hold off on the travel plans for a bit.
    You aren’t penalised for failing the PCT the first time, your application is just put on hold until you pass the retest. After you’ve passed that and the medical, it’s just a case of waiting for an offer.
    There are no guarantees that you will even get an offer after passing every stage as they can only take in so many people at a time. From reading other people’s posts the wait time could be anything from a few weeks to over a year. Honestly it’s a long enough process with a lot of waiting to see what will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Frenchjoe87

Out of curiosity is there anyone on this who has correct knowledge of how the vetting process is carried out. I've 2 aunts in England. One on either side of my parents and I'm sure that will delay my application but I often wonder is it just a case of someone in an office simply logging onto an interpol database and cross checking names and addresses or does it involve requesting info from uk police and letters back and forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Soloca

Out of curiosity is there anyone on this who has correct knowledge of how the vetting process is carried out. I've 2 aunts in England. One on either side of my parents and I'm sure that will delay my application but I often wonder is it just a case of someone in an office simply logging onto an interpol database and cross checking names and addresses or does it involve requesting info from uk police and letters back and forth.

I'm in the same boat, but I have more family than that in england.
    My dad and his family included, which I dont know at all . So I'm hoping that nothing comes back

• Registered Users Posts: 32 NathanG5060

Soloca wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat, but I have more family than that in england.
    My dad and his family included, which I dont know at all . So I'm hoping that nothing comes back

Half of my family live in the north. When I met the Super he said the PSNI are usually really good at getting back so I should be in the next Intake. Sent form B in November and phoned appointments last week and they said it’s still active and ongoing so not feeling the best about getting into this next intake

• Registered Users Posts: 37 deenam

Half of my family live in the north. When I met the Super he said the PSNI are usually really good at getting back so I should be in the next Intake. Sent form B in November and phoned appointments last week and they said it’s still active and ongoing so not feeling the best about getting into this next intake

Does anyone know why it takes so long for the vetting? Was really hoping to be in with the next intake 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Soloca

Yeah the sergeant asked how I would feel about the march/april intake .

So that's got my Hope's up. I want to know because I need to give notice in work and wanted to sneak in a holiday before hand. Its frustrating putting your life on hold

Soloca wrote: »
    Yeah the sergeant asked how I would feel about the march/april intake .

So that's got my Hope's up. I want to know because I need to give notice in work and wanted to sneak in a holiday before hand. Its frustrating putting your life on hold

I’m in the exact same boat! The waiting and wondering is such a killer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Whatyagonnnado

Hmm, I met the super yesterday and asked if my vetting has to be complete before she meets me and she said it is completely separate. I have lived in the UK and Australia so think I'll be in for a wait. She said they are keen to get people in quickly so they might be chasing vetting internationally more than previous campaigns. I've got everything crossed for May intake still.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭daniel1390

It is done in interpol, I have family in Canada and UK and my vetting back and cleared and I'm starting in templemore 20th for induction, from 2019 and submitted my form b end of October, had sergeant and super in January

daniel1390 wrote: »
    It is done in interpol, I have family in Canada and UK and my vetting back and cleared and I'm starting in templemore 20th for induction, from 2019 and submitted my form b end of October, had sergeant and super in January

When did you have your PCT and medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭daniel1390

Originally had pct 17th December and failed, had resit 28th January then had medical 30th January

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Dylan1996

Any offers out over the last few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭cmc35

Anyone here failed PCT on 18th of February? If so have ye got a date for a retest? Would we have to wait a good while as offers for the 20th of April seem to be plentiful

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Stretch1432

Is there still people from 2017/2016 campaign still waiting to get called up

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lets hope

Is there still people from 2017/2016 campaign still waiting to get called up

Yes there is still people waiting from those campaign's

• Registered Users Posts: 5 CF1991

Hey guys just wondering has anyone been offered a place lately? I had my medical on the 30th January and I’m still waiting on some kind of news.. was hoping to be in the April intake. Anyone got any update at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Stretch1432

And is there a chance that they wont get in at this stage ? Why wont they just put people out of their misery

Advertisement