Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment Stage 4 (2019 Campaign)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭St. Westy

Lcass wrote: »
    One must be an academic reference. The next two are general references. (One of which needs to be a previous employer if applicable) and they need to know you at least 3 years.:D
    thanks for the info, sorted for everything bar previous employers , as i doubt they wanna talk to a building contractor, been with the same engineering firm since college, dont want themknowing as dont wanna be treated differentl while or if im waiting for a call to college, nothing is ever straight forward it seems :pac::o

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Rodeire

Aaron123 wrote: »
    Hi guys just a question for anyone who has been called for induction, do you get contacted for induction by email or is it a phone call? My phone was stolen on Saturday so I haven't been receiving any calls until I buy a new one.

For me it was by email.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ba88

Jaymc1 wrote: »
    just out of interest what referees are people putting down , as im waiting on form b, i dont want to put down my present work, as dont want them knowing

You can select on the form if you want your current employer to be contacted or not. I actually ticked on the form B that they could but mentioned it to local Sergeant when I met her that I would prefer if they didn't contact my current employer and she was grand about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

just out of interest what referees are people putting down , as im waiting on form b, i dont want to put down my present work, as dont want them knowing

I put down a sergeant who I know fairly well (through football and what not), and I put down another guy who's a parent of a friend of mine, who's also been involved in sports that I've been a part of.. I was going to stick down an employer but I haven't been out of school long enough to have worked with someone for 3 years!

I ended up ticking that they could contact my place of work because as my parents put it, if it aids your chances of getting in what difference does it make if you lose your part time job.
    That being said I'm sure they're understanding if and when someone doesn't want to stick down their place of work.

what oom are people at now? and what stage have ye completed? i started this journey off at 2000 plus and now im in the 850s after passing interview yesterday, what stage are people at now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 GreenImpala

what oom are people at now? and what stage have ye completed? i started this journey off at 2000 plus and now im in the 850s after passing interview yesterday, what stage are people at now?

I got a call yesterday to meet with Super. Have PCT on 20th of this month. OOM is in the 700s.

I got a call yesterday to meet with Super. Have PCT on 20th of this month. OOM is in the 700s.

oh very good, best of luck, hard work is done now it seems, when did you roughly get your interview result? just trying to judge it

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DeclanW1999

Everything is different for everyone. I have my PCT and Medical done since January and I only met my Sergeant and Inspector this week. My vetting is still in process, So it is hard to judge how close you are to an offer. Everyone is different. Just hope and pray we get in soon enough. I have everything done now so im good to go as long as vetting doesnt hold me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Triplek

Anyone for pct on the 3rd of April?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 GreenImpala

oh very good, best of luck, hard work is done now it seems, when did you roughly get your interview result? just trying to judge it

Got my interview results on the 17th of December 2019. A week after having done the interview.

• Advertisement

Got my interview results on the 17th of December 2019. A week after having done the interview.

yea its very open ended , i seen on another forum people from the 2018 campaign still waiting for a offer, vetting can be a disaster sometimes, i only got interview results yesterday, so not expecting any movement any time soon unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Na445

A silly question but for anyone that has done the PCT ..did u wear your running gear into the college or jeans and changed before it. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 peader06

Na445 wrote: »
    A silly question but for anyone that has done the PCT ..did u wear your running gear into the college or jeans and changed before it. ?

You get a chance to change

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭cmc35

Hey guys, I failed PCT on 18th February just gone. Got 7.2 on the beep (have to get 8.8) and I presume I'll have the retest within the next 4-5 weeks. Still struggling to get 8.8 . Any tips on how to improve as I'm becoming very worried at this stage ��

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Nel26

cmc35 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I failed PCT on 18th February just gone. Got 7.2 on the beep (have to get 8.8) and I presume I'll have the retest within the next 4-5 weeks. Still struggling to get 8.8 . Any tips on how to improve as I'm becoming very worried at this stage ��

I was told to do spinning and sprints to bring up my cardio! I’m also on a new diet plan to loose about a stone - stone and a half weight to have less to carry! Not sure if that’s any help but I’m hoping it works for me! I’m also doing practices but was told not to do too many of those

Nel26 wrote: »
    I was told to do spinning and sprints to bring up my cardio! I’m also on a new diet plan to loose about a stone - stone and a half weight to have less to carry! Not sure if that’s any help but I’m hoping it works for me! I’m also doing practices but was told not to do too many of those
    When did u do the PCT ? Did u get an email for a retest? I know on website it says 12 weeks but instructor told me it's 6 or 7 weeks most people get the retest. Do ya train many days a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Nel26

When did u do the PCT ? Did u get an email for a retest? I know on website it says 12 weeks but instructor told me it's 6 or 7 weeks most people get the retest. Do ya train many days a week?

28th Jan! Yup retest in 2 weeks time but I got 4 weeks notice for it and only got about 7/8 weeks till my retest I think! :) training about 5/6 nights a week between PT spinning and running! Also recovering an injury but I started back training a few days after failing my first one

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Userdb

If you want to get better and the beep test you have to practice the beep test. I know that’s not good news but keep aiming for extra shuttles every time u attempt it. Don’t get lazy during it cause that can happen. Practice in your garden or even a gym hall at quiet times. Can’t stress enough that daily runs, treadmills, spin classes etc DOES NOT get you to pass the test in this short amount of time your only kidding yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Frenchjoe87

Leading up to the test I was very worried I was going to fail it also but I said I'm going to do everything I can to get over the line, i got the beep test on spotify and done it twice a week. I also timed how long I needed to get to 8.1 and just practiced running to that time without stopping and trying to go faster and faster each time. 3 days before the test I bought the best pair of running shoes I could buy so I had the comfort of brand new light runners on me, i broke them in with a light jog so they were sound for the test, I also got sports physio for about two weeks before on my legs and got what's called a pre event physio on the day. I also tried to follow a strict nutrition plan to improve performance. I depleted my glycogen stores a few days before. All that is I didnt eat carbs for a few days then I had an overload of complex carbs 24 hours before, oats and wholegrain pasta. You need to have them the day before for it to store the glycogen in your body. Now in fairness it's not a marathon I was running so those things might seem a bit over the top but the way I looked at it for what I lack in fitness I will try to make up in other ways. I dont play team sports and because of work I dont have a very active lifestyle either but I managed to pass on the day. As I seen on here a few times. People fail in their heads before they even set foot into the hall so I done everything I could to be mentally prepared. It's only my own experience I can speak for but I hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Mar_mar27

Buy a 20 metre measuring tape and a speaker and find a space. I was using an underground car park and then I found concrete too difficult. Get intouch with a local community hall or gaa hall and ask to use it. Explain you don't need to book it as it will literally take you 10 minutes to complete. Run on balls of your feet to avoid shin splints or calf strains. Practicing the beep test is the only way. You will learn to run at a pace in time with the beeps. On the day I was running behind everyone in the line because i had a good idea on how to pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Bangahead16

Are all the 20m bleep tests the same ??
    There are various ones on apple/spotify and apps ?

Mar_mar27 wrote: »
    Buy a 20 metre measuring tape and a speaker and find a space. I was using an underground car park and then I found concrete too difficult. Get intouch with a local community hall or gaa hall and ask to use it. Explain you don't need to book it as it will literally take you 10 minutes to complete. Run on balls of your feet to avoid shin splints or calf strains. Practicing the beep test is the only way. You will learn to run at a pace in time with the beeps. On the day I was running behind everyone in the line because i had a good idea on how to pace.
    Started doing that in the back yard at home. You're bang on saying the hard surface is difficult but I am improving slightly on it. The way I see it , if I can get decent on that type of surface, the actual test might not be too bad. I'm still failing on level 7 however. Will 4 weeks of hard graft be enough to improve? Getting set up with a personal trainer Monday so hopefully that will be a boost. Dont want to throw away the hard work of doing aptitude tests and interviews away for failing what most people would consider the easier part of the recruitment process...

Leading up to the test I was very worried I was going to fail it also but I said I'm going to do everything I can to get over the line, i got the beep test on spotify and done it twice a week. I also timed how long I needed to get to 8.1 and just practiced running to that time without stopping and trying to go faster and faster each time. 3 days before the test I bought the best pair of running shoes I could buy so I had the comfort of brand new light runners on me, i broke them in with a light jog so they were sound for the test, I also got sports physio for about two weeks before on my legs and got what's called a pre event physio on the day. I also tried to follow a strict nutrition plan to improve performance. I depleted my glycogen stores a few days before. All that is I didnt eat carbs for a few days then I had an overload of complex carbs 24 hours before, oats and wholegrain pasta. You need to have them the day before for it to store the glycogen in your body. Now in fairness it's not a marathon I was running so those things might seem a bit over the top but the way I looked at it for what I lack in fitness I will try to make up in other ways. I dont play team sports and because of work I dont have a very active lifestyle either but I managed to pass on the day. As I seen on here a few times. People fail in their heads before they even set foot into the hall so I done everything I could to be mentally prepared. It's only my own experience I can speak for but I hope this helps
    A lot of it is in the head that's for sure. How.many days a week did u train? I'm doing 5 and I'm still not reaching the target!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Mar_mar27

4 weeks is plenty of time I only did beep test 3 times a week

Userdb wrote: »
    If you want to get better and the beep test you have to practice the beep test. I know that’s not good news but keep aiming for extra shuttles every time u attempt it. Don’t get lazy during it cause that can happen. Practice in your garden or even a gym hall at quiet times. Can’t stress enough that daily runs, treadmills, spin classes etc DOES NOT get you to pass the test in this short amount of time your only kidding yourself
    Absolutely, treadmills wont pass the beep test. Its only an added exercise in my routine to keep up aerobics. I'm going to give it hell for leather the next 4-5 weeks practicing the beep test. Hopefully that can get me over the line.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ClaireMcGrath

Dare I ask ... anyone get an offer today?

I emailed them this morning to ask about my application status (weekly routine at this stage), got an email back within an hour saying they'd be in touch in due course. I got excited because that's what my twin go before she got her email to go to templemore. Then twenty mins later a different email to tell me my vetting was still ongoing.

Oh the joys.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 NathanG5060

I emailed them this morning to ask about my application status (weekly routine at this stage), got an email back within an hour saying they'd be in touch in due course. I got excited because that's what my twin go before she got her email to go to templemore. Then twenty mins later a different email to tell me my vetting was still ongoing.

Oh the joys.

Could you please give me the email address so I can do the same? Greatly appreciated.

Absolutely, treadmills wont pass the beep test. Its only an added exercise in my routine to keep up aerobics. I'm going to give it hell for leather the next 4-5 weeks practicing the beep test. Hopefully that can get me over the line.....

And you will get over the line. Fact!! Keep pushing and don’t give up, even if your heart wants to jump out of your chest. Just keep going!

Oh the joys.

I definitely know how anxious you feel right now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 S84

No offers at all today folks ? Very strange.. I must have refreshed my email 100 times today

Advertisement