Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment Stage 4 (2019 Campaign)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭r1gskcn9p3y75o

For the beep test. I'm getting mixed stories. The beep test app I'm running goes. Beep, run 20metres, turn be back before it beeps and repeat. ??

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Frenchjoe87

cmc35 wrote: »
    A lot of it is in the head that's for sure. How.many days a week did u train? I'm doing 5 and I'm still not reaching the target!!!

I would train the beep test twice a week and no more but that is just me, 4 or 5 weeks out I tried doing it every second day because I still wasnt reaching 8.1 and I found I was getting worse not better, I was failing at around level 5 and 6 and it was becoming even more stressful because I taught I was going to chuck it away after getting through interviews and all the rest and all the effort I put in was going nowhere. You dont want to look at the beep test as something that is the ultimate goal to all your training and level of fitness and that its like the final hurdle that once its passed you dont need to train again because that's when the mind will take over and if your stressing and worrying about it than it will only make it worse. Treat the beep test as just another work out that you pushed yourself at and that next day you'll still be training to keep up your fitness, what I done was the beep test twice a week and some jogging up hills. Stretch well before the hill jogging and then just keep going until you cant and try get a bit further each time. Another poster said about pace, 100% practice what level 1 and 2 pace is like and get the feel for saving your stamina at the early levels to keep for later. What happened that you failed. Did you run out of steam or was it an injury or what. If you got to level 7 your fitness is far better than you think. It sounds like mind over matter. You need to get the head right for the final push.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭r1gskcn9p3y75o

I want to apply but I have a phd in data science so I would like to put that to use within the Garda and not be assigned menial field tasks - can someone point me to the right place? I assume I don't apply via the general format?

Easy answer, you dont apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭cmc35

I would train the beep test twice a week and no more but that is just me, 4 or 5 weeks out I tried doing it every second day because I still wasnt reaching 8.1 and I found I was getting worse not better, I was failing at around level 5 and 6 and it was becoming even more stressful because I taught I was going to chuck it away after getting through interviews and all the rest and all the effort I put in was going nowhere. You dont want to look at the beep test as something that is the ultimate goal to all your training and level of fitness and that its like the final hurdle that once its passed you dont need to train again because that's when the mind will take over and if your stressing and worrying about it than it will only make it worse. Treat the beep test as just another work out that you pushed yourself at and that next day you'll still be training to keep up your fitness, what I done was the beep test twice a week and some jogging up hills. Stretch well before the hill jogging and then just keep going until you cant and try get a bit further each time. Another poster said about pace, 100% practice what level 1 and 2 pace is like and get the feel for saving your stamina at the early levels to keep for later. What happened that you failed. Did you run out of steam or was it an injury or what. If you got to level 7 your fitness is far better than you think. It sounds like mind over matter. You need to get the head right for the final push.
    Once I reached level 6.6 (I thnik) my shins got at me and I panicked. This disrupted my breathing and I completely ran out of steam. I have been doing a lot more stretches of the legs since then. Going to try it again tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Bangahead16

Hi all
    Just wondering what is the process after you pass the interview??
    Call from Sargent?? Fitness test ??
    Please and thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Chrisb13

Hi all
    Just wondering what is the process after you pass the interview??
    Call from Sargent?? Fitness test ??
    Please and thanks
    All a bit of a random process after interview and Form B is sent off be patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭AF96DUB

deenam wrote: »
    Has anyone who’s failed an area of the medical had a letter sent out by post? Received a letter from HRM today and not sure if it’s good or bad news

what did the letter say if you dont mind me asking? I'm a little over on BMI but hopefully they still pass me, I lifted weights for a few years and put on weight as a result, struggling to get it back down

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭banjoh_10

AF96DUB wrote: »
    what did the letter say if you dont mind me asking? I'm a little over on BMI but hopefully they still pass me, I lifted weights for a few years and put on weight as a result, struggling to get it back down

There is no grey areas come the medical exam. It's a pass or fail. It is ruthless but they are 100% particular when it comes to medicals and do not give any leeway whatsoever. If you're over you will fail I'm afraid.

What is your bmi at now

What is your bmi at now

just over 31

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Xtinab

Does anyone know if you fail your fitness test do you need to get another doctors clearance letter for the retest. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Coon93

Xtinab wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you fail your fitness test do you need to get another doctors clearance letter for the retest. ?

No you don’t need another GP Clearance. Tell them on the day that it’s a retest and you’ve already submitted it. On the form they give you at the start you can write down the date of your first PCT and say form previously submitted next to it, just so they remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭St. Westy

just over 31

There is grey areas , unlike what the poster above replied to you, it states you need a bmi of 25 I think or 28, But they take your body into account , if you clearly aren’t over weight and have muscle you are okay but I would still try to get the bmi under 30

Jaymc1 wrote: »
    There is grey areas , unlike what the poster above replied to you, it states you need a bmi of 25 I think or 28, But they take your body into account , if you clearly aren’t over weight and have muscle you are okay but I would still try to get the bmi under 30

I'll try do a water cut to get the remaining lbs off, I done that a few times hopefully I get enough off to get bmi under 30. Thanks

I'll try do a water cut to get the remaining lbs off, I done that a few times hopefully I get enough off to get bmi under 30. Thanks

Strict diet of chicken and no carbs and ud be down weight in no time , cut holes in a bin bag and wear it as a T-shirt under your clothes when exercising, Ul sweat out water weight, but remember to drink extra water during the day, it helps speed up metabolism, don’t cut water altogether that’s silly , if you want it bad enough these are the sacrifices Ul havta put your body through, loosing weight isn’t hard if you have a end goal

How long does it usually take form B to be sent out after interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cluedo123

Jaymc1 wrote: »
    How long does it usually take form B to be sent out after interview?

I think on average 2-4 weeks after results are released.

For the urine test, what exactly is checked and is it sent to a lab or is it done in front of you. I can feel a head cold coming on but I dont want to take lemsip incase it gives a false reading on the test later this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭banjoh_10

For the urine test, what exactly is checked and is it sent to a lab or is it done in front of you. I can feel a head cold coming on but I dont want to take lemsip incase it gives a false reading on the test later this week.

It's a clinical test. Checks for kidney, liver, Metabolic, diabetes issues and can be used for detection of substances.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Whatyagonnnado

It's just a urine dip. They do it in front of you. You'll be safe enough with paracetamol!

• Advertisement

I'd say we may forgot about offers anytime soon if the place goes into lockdown. Anyone reckon templemore will be next to close its doors.

If it gets right bad like Italy they might cancel the whole Recruitment process altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭daniel1390

I've had an offer last week and haven't heard about it closing but it's a possibility

I'd say we may forgot about offers anytime soon if the place goes into lockdown. Anyone reckon templemore will be next to close its doors.

If it gets right bad like Italy they might cancel the whole Recruitment process altogether

god I hope that doesn't happen, bit of a worry alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 576hkg348rjn21

Has anyone had an offer they've been unable to take up, and been put into the subsequent intake? Rumblings of May t the moment it seems, and I'm away abroad for that month (hopefully, fecking virus)

Would be pretty peeved to get put out of selection if i couldnt take the start date due to prior committments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ba88

Has anyone had an offer they've been unable to take up, and been put into the subsequent intake? Rumblings of May t the moment it seems, and I'm away abroad for that month (hopefully, fecking virus)

Would be pretty peeved to get put out of selection if i couldnt take the start date due to prior committments

Not sure if that's a guaranteed option to be honest though couldn't be sure. I wouldn't fancy my chances in asking for a deferral considering there's countless waiting for a call up who would take it in the morning.

AGS not really interested in prior commitments and I can understand that given the fact that they are struggling to fill intakes. Can appreciate it's frustrating not having any indication of a start date but I wouldn't be inclined to have plans while this process is ongoing.

they would never cancel the recruitment process, that doesn't even make sense, everything will just be put on hold, eg physicals in templemore, as for the may intake, thats still a very long time away, i wouldn't be panicking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Dent67

Who can I contact or email about the vetting can anyone tell me please and thanks?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Nel26

Has anyone rang HRM regarding upcoming PCT tests if they’re still going to go ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Gerty123

Dent67 wrote: »
    Who can I contact or email about the vetting can anyone tell me please and thanks?

01-6662571

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,062 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Garda college will close next week and will be handed over to the HSE for use as an emergency sanitarium.

Current student Gardaí will be deployed to stations nationwide to assist with an emergency civil policing plan. The April / May intake of new student Gardaí will not take place and is suspended until further notice.

I have this from a close relative in Garda headquarters.

Advertisement