Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment Stage 4 (2019 Campaign)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭jamesf85

Will all recruitment drives be cancelled and started again or will they just be postponed?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Shaneoohh wrote: »
    “Some of the trainee gardaí have been in the college for just over a month and were being given rapid training in public order policing ahead of their dispatch onto the streets as fully attested gardaí” direct from Irish times website five days ago

That's not public order training horse, it's just how to deal with the public. I know people in the intake myself...they havent been public order trained but feel free to believe it. If you become a guard you'll soon learn that you listen to about 5% of what the media says about goings on inside the organisation. You'll also learn what public order training actually is and what it involves. Its not something that you can be rushed through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭St. Westy

jamesf85 wrote: »
    Will all recruitment drives be cancelled and started again or will they just be postponed?

that doesnt even make sense , how can you possibly think they will just cancel the present recruitment campaign, they arent just going to go to people thanks for passing stage 1 2 3 , now start again when its back on :pac:
    the only thing that will be cancelled in the planned 2020 recruitment campaign, anyone that is waiting on pcts will get delayed, but will get it in due course

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Frenchjoe87

I'd love to stay and comment all day about the difference between public order training and training to deal with the public but I've got line of duty re runs to watch to prepare myself for the call up. Bye for now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Make sure you stay by the phone:pac:

• Advertisement

I just thought if this went on long enough, say 6 months, then with all the people that are unemployed they would open it up to the public again?

At the end of the day, the new drive haven’t been given any training so it wouldn’t be too hard to hold aptitude’s etc again

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ConcreteAngel

I'm worried that when this virus calms down that the country will go into recession meaning that AGS might not have the funding to bring anymore recruit's for a while. Hoping I'm wrong though

jamesf85 wrote: »
    I just thought if this went on long enough, say 6 months, then with all the people that are unemployed they would open it up to the public again?

At the end of the day, the new drive haven’t been given any training so it wouldn’t be too hard to hold aptitude’s etc again

i dont think that would be very fair on people that have passed interviews and such, i dont see any reason why they would make people who passed interviews, be interviewed again,
    as you said none of the 2019s have had any training, so there is enough of us in waiting, to fill a number of intakes, i believe the OOM is under 900 now for example, there will be no 2020 garda campaign in my eyes and probably not even a 2021 due to recession, all depends on the demand when this all blows over.

I can unfortunately see this class being put to a hault. They will need to pump resources elsewhere

and what stage are you at ?

• Advertisement

Completed last stage and was waiting on offer for training.

But with so many likely to be unemployed over the coming months, they’ll be pressure to give those newly unemployed a chance to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Whatyagonnnado

Where do you get your info from?! I'm intrigued.

When you say student nurses and docs will be requested to offer their services, they won't be working in any sort of official capacity. All staff will have to work within their scope of practice whether it be healthcare or AGS. I am a physio and I know students will not be covered to pick up the work of a qualified. They will in all likelihood be continuing in their student role or alternatively redeployed to an admin/support role.
    Likewise, AGS will have to take a careful approach to throwing out one or 2 hundred recruits that havent even stepped inside templemore.
    I found out the day before the announcement that I was waiting on final approval so noone would be more happy than me but I just dont see it!
    Correct, no one off the street will be deputised as you put it however as the weeks and months progress the government will be calling on its supply of labour at its resources. Nurses and medical students in the final stages of their studies and working abroad will be requested to offer their services just as all garda applicants and those with offers will be called on and expected to offer their support and be available as needed likewise all civil defense units will be activated and other voluntary groups like the order of Malta will also be requested to be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Aaron123

When you say student nurses and docs will be requested to offer their services, they won't be working in any sort of official capacity. All staff will have to work within their scope of practice whether it be healthcare or AGS. I am a physio and I know students will not be covered to pick up the work of a qualified. They will in all likelihood be continuing in their student role or alternatively redeployed to an admin/support role.
    Likewise, AGS will have to take a careful approach to throwing out one or 2 hundred recruits that havent even stepped inside templemore.
    I found out the day before the announcement that I was waiting on final approval so noone would be more happy than me but I just dont see it!
    I am in the same boat as you have everything completed Just waiting on an offer..would be great but cant see us getting called and put straight into duty after a few weeks of training.

I have my info from a serving member of AGS and also a family member who is a senior clerical staff in the dept of social welfare. All civil servants in what's classed as non essential depts are to lend their services to the depts that will be under strain in the coming few weeks and months.

The general consensus is that if this gets steadily worse which is expected it will be all hands to the pump and that the government will have to call on resources like it never had to before. I was told that all detectives are to return to uniform for the next 3 months to par take in essential community policing. I was also told that applicants with offers and awaiting offers could be contacted for voluntary services like the reserves. As I said in a previous post we are not talking about patrolling the streets in a lockdown situation, it's more to be available to help in the most basic of tasks to free up trained officers to do what they're trained to do. Truth is no one knows from one day to the next what's going on. I just am passing on info I know to be from reliable sources to a like minded group of people that hopefully can have something constructive to discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Gerty123

Jaymc1 wrote: »
    thats a good sign that they are still continuing the vetting at least ;) do they have your form b in front of them?

Sargent had my form B and just glanced at it while i was there. He spent less than 5 min going over it with me. For rest of the meeting i was talking to him about the guards and football. He said he had gone over the form before i had met him. Super had the form B but didnt open it when i was there. I had a good chat about the guards and the coronavirus with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Johnmurphy321

Gerty123 wrote: »
    Sargent had my form B and just glanced at it while i was there. He spent less than 5 min going over it with me. For rest of the meeting i was talking to him about the guards and football. He said he had gone over the form before i had met him. Super had the form B but didnt open it when i was there. I had a good chat about the guards and the coronavirus with him.

Did he give an indication of how long it will take for the next intake to go in? Or for the college to re-open

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭daniel1390

A small number of 2019s started in the feb intake

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭SquireD

daniel1390 wrote: »
    A small number of 2019s started in the feb intake

Where did you find this out?

Is there a length of time that when you pass the medical if you haven't got an offer you have to retake fitness and medical again.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 peader06

Is there a length of time that when you pass the medical if you haven't got an offer you have to retake fitness and medical again.

Yeah generally after a year. I was waiting for a bit and then had to resit my medical before Christmas to get in to the Feb intake after doing it in mid 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭r1gskcn9p3y75o

This thread is going off point. Just stay working towards your next step in the process and all we can do is wait. Nobody knows when itll all kick back off again not a guard not a civil servant and not anyone on boards.
    Stay relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Stretch1432

Deano.f87 wrote: »
    This thread is going off point. Just stay working towards your next step in the process and all we can do is wait. Nobody knows when itll all kick back off again not a guard not a civil servant and not anyone on boards.
    Stay relevant.

Well you will be waiting a very long time ....

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Nel26

Stay relevant.

Bit of Positivity!! :)

peader06 wrote: »
    Yeah generally after a year. I was waiting for a bit and then had to resit my medical before Christmas to get in to the Feb intake after doing it in mid 2018.

Cheers, I'd say the way things are going we will be in for a wait so I better keep a retest of the medical in mind. I don't know how anyone else is fixed but my training and clean eating is gone to hell in the past 2 weeks. Ha

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Triplek

Stay relevant.

Well said, everyone seems to be having a melt down as to what's going to happen, unfortunately due to what's going on EVERTHING is being put on hold. So sit tight and your day will come regardless. Its very unsure what the recruits who have been sent out if they'll go back into templemore or not or have continuous assessments done on job. But whoever is waiting to be called up next or waiting for fitness test and medicals(like myself) will get called as per usual when templemore is back up and running. Keep positive and the economy will pick back up :)

Cheers, I'd say the way things are going we will be in for a wait so I better keep a retest of the medical in mind. I don't know how anyone else is fixed but my training and clean eating is gone to hell in the past 2 weeks. Ha

😂 aye you may keep up the fitness also, in week 6 you do part 1 of the fitness test. We missed it in this occasion lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Westcorkboi93

😂 aye you may keep up the fitness also, in week 6 you do part 1 of the fitness test. We missed it in this occasion lol

So I presume you got in during February intake, and you're just after being sent out to the frontline? Just wondering if u have any idea as to when Templemore and the whole recruitment process is gonna be back up again?

So I presume you got in during February intake, and you're just after being sent out to the frontline? Just wondering if u have any idea as to when Templemore and the whole recruitment process is gonna be back up again?

Sorry lad, I’ve no idea. The instructors didn’t even know. We were just told to take each month as it comes but I would imagine the next intake won’t be until another 2 months at least after we go back. But that’s just me guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Westcorkboi93

Sorry lad, I’ve no idea. The instructors didn’t even know. We were just told to take each month as it comes but I would imagine the next intake won’t be until another 2 months at least after we go back. But that’s just me guessing.

I get ya. The only thing we can do is stay put and keep up the training. I'm awaiting a repeat date for the beep test. Thanks a mill for replying and stay safe out there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Bangahead16

Is anyone currently filling out form B?
    Who did ye put down as general references
    For persons in the authority?. ie former employers current employers priest etc
    Which would be best thanks

Advertisement