Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment Stage 4 (2019 Campaign)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Grassy_Knoll37

Has anyone tried to call HR this week? I wonder will they provide any sort of new information now that the college is back running.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Hopeful12

ooob15 wrote: »
    30. Next month it will be two years from I applied ! Vetting took 12 months even though OOM is below 20.

College opened Monday for intakes taken in after Feb 2020, Feb 2020 intake going back next week for 4 weeks so maybe it might be end of May ? Or maybe July to get other intakes moved on a bit?
    Check the waiting room 2020 thread for more info. Justice minister said in the dail that 24 May 2021 will have a large intake. Hard to know if it will go ahead with everything going on!

Likewise would like to hear if anyone contacted HR. I've been holding off contacting but might send an email next week 🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Goddard

Has anyone tried to call HR this week? I wonder will they provide any sort of new information now that the college is back running.

Personally I’ve never called or emailed them looking for an update. Too many moving parts and now COVID throwing curveballs. They are probably just as confused as the rest of us.

Aaron123 wrote: »
    I applied nearly 2 years ago now too, all stages completed besides vetting. I agree feel like we are just waiting to be called with no indication when that will be, I’m out of work since Christmas with the pandemic and unsure whether to commit to a new career/course etc.

Super tough position for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AD07

I was so tempted to ring the college and ask if there’s any update haha. HR don’t give away anytbing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭CD2020!

They are definitely still processing vetting etc as normal I know they were onto a mates referees two weeks ago.
    I emailed last Dec got the copy and paste response.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Dean445

Would this be some way true, do ye think?

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2021-03-04a.474

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭CD2020!

Dean445 wrote: »

Yes, the college opened again 2 days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭cmc35

So does this mean it will only be 450 people who have everything done and waiting for the call up will be taken in is it? Im still waiting on PCT and medical surely they will recommence aswel?

CD2020! wrote: »
    Yes, the college opened again 2 days ago.

I heard that, but was just wondering would the dates for the intakes be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭banjoh_10

cmc35 wrote: »
    So does this mean it will only be 450 people who have everything done and waiting for the call up will be taken in is it? Im still waiting on PCT and medical surely they will recommence aswel?

It will definitely be those with all completed that will get the nod first anyway.

cmc35 wrote: »

I wonder do is there 450 people waiting with everything done? I doubt it but maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Doyler8642

AD07 wrote: »
    I wonder do is there 450 people waiting with everything done? I doubt it but maybe

Highly doubht there is 450 waiting with everything done, I doubt anybody knows tb be honest

450 is the number they aim to fill, almost certainly this is from a mxture of those waiting with all stages complete, and late stage applicants but with elements outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Doyler8642

Zux wrote: »
    450 is the number they aim to fill, almost certainly this is from a mxture of those waiting with all stages complete, and late stage applicants but with elements outstanding.

I'd say your spot on, that's what would make sense anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Goddard

I thought because I am a little older than some candies, it might be a negative when being called forward. I felt HR might have preferences for younger candidates when it comes down to the wire. However with the wide range of ages from previous posts this may be an incorrect assumption.

Goddard wrote: »
    I thought because I am a little older than some candies, it might be a negative when being called forward. I felt HR might have preferences for younger candidates when it comes down to the wire. However with the wide range of ages from previous posts this may be an incorrect assumption.

I'd be very confident in saying any such preference would not only be highly improbable, but also non-constructive, considering the many benefits that older candidates have so often brought to the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Grassy_Knoll37

Goddard wrote: »

I don't think age will have anything to do with it personally. I think it will be first come, first serve. Those who have vetting, medical, fitness complete will be picked in May. Although I could be wrong.

How much notice do you get prior to starting in the college?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 TravisLogan123

How much notice do you get prior to starting in the college?

3-6 weeks usually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Swabber21

Would it be possible that the college might choose people who have yet to do their PCT and medical or have to repeat an element to be recruited?

Swabber21 wrote: »
    Would it be possible that the college might choose people who have yet to do their PCT and medical or have to repeat an element to be recruited?

To my knowledge:

All stages must be completed before an offer can be issued.

Absolutely possible you may be called the complete those stages, but not offered a tentative place pending your success.

Does anyone have a good plan of how to train for the bleep test? I had a personal trainer in summer of 2020 and could achieve the level 8.8 which would be required for my age bracket. However, since the lockdowns began my cardiovascular endurance has declined and I now suffer from severe shin splints during runs and struggle to run more than 1k due to this. It is my dream to become a Garda and I don’t want this to stand in my way

Does anyone have a good plan of how to train for the bleep test? I had a personal trainer in summer of 2020 and could achieve the level 8.8 which would be required for my age bracket. However, since the lockdowns began my cardiovascular endurance has declined and I now suffer from severe shin splints during runs and struggle to run more than 1k due to this. It is my dream to become a Garda and I don’t want this to stand in my way

If you search for Loughborough Beep Test Audio you can find the exact version used for PCT.

The best thing one can do is find somewhere local, measure out the 20 m and begin practicing it.

If you made it before, you know for sure you can do it again, so its just a matter of building back up your comfort levels. Many have said before, and I tend to agree, its 90% a mental thing. If you go into it thinking, "I know for a fact I can do this, lets get it done", you'll fly it on the day.

Beyond that, something I try and focus on for my general running is starting slow and then building pace toward the end of the run, thats a different style than most people are accustomed to, and has caught people out who were well used to running in the past.

I emailed HR and same standard response about PCT and medicals.
    I’m hoping maybe they have to change the PCT or something to accommodate covid rather than not doing them because of covid

AD07 wrote: »
    I emailed HR and same standard response about PCT and medicals.
    I’m hoping maybe they have to change the PCT or something to accommodate covid rather than not doing them because of covid

Potentially worth bearing in mind, HR will send that generic reply right up to the moment before something changes.

I can see them making small accomodations or changes to PCT, with regard to numbers and potentially location of certain parts, but I'd be shocked if they did anything major at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 TravisLogan123

You really don’t need a personal trainer to get fit , for a start book yourself a rub out with a physio, then buy a foam roller , and roll out your legs , watch videos on YouTube , it might seem daft at the start but foam rollers do work.
    Then start off walking , then walk/jog , then sprints, you know how it works if you could get 8.8 , it only gets difficult after level 6

Thanks for the replies Zux and Travislogan123. Do ye think it would be possible to build up my cardio capabilities substantially within a one month period? By doing a combination of bleep tests, running and sprints.

Thanks for the replies Zux and Travislogan123. Do ye think it would be possible to build up my cardio capabilities substantially within a one month period? By doing a combination of bleep tests, running and sprints.

No problem at all, to answer your question, absolutely possible.

I made significant gains in endurance in similar timeframes recently. For me, a huge part of it was mental progress, to begin with I was thinking "my legs are killing me", or halfway through "I'm tired already I'll never make this" - and sure enough - I wouldnt.

As soon as I changed my mindset to be more positive about my capabilities, the very next time I tried the same run I finished it and could have probably kept going.

You can make serious progress in a month, but to make as much as possible, work on both the physical and mental side of what you are doing. i underestimated that to begin with and it held me back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ooob15

I got a call today from HR, asking if I would be still interested in a place as they have a provisional date for end of May start of June.
    All stages complete and they advised Vetting would under go one final check before a place is offered .

Advertisement