Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment Stage 4 (2019 Campaign)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Dean445

Collinsb10 wrote: »
    Same.. I'm in the 400oom so I won't be holding my breath if only 150 going in.what oom are you?

I know people who had higher OOM than 300 and are already in training. Would there even be 150 people waiting with everything done and vetting cleared since there has been other intakes last year.
    It hard to know

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Doyler8642

Really hope they start the PCT and medicals off ASAP. Well done every that got a call, fairplay

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭AF96DUB

Congratulations to all who received calls! Absolutely amazing news to get after a bleak year, did HR specify whether it'll be online learning and being stationed straight away etc like they've done the last group? Cheers and congrats again!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 John614

I just received a call was asked if I was still interested in becoming a guard and that they don’t know when the next intake will be. I am Oom 445 everything completed since February 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Dean445

I’ve also just received a phone call to see would I still be interested! They didn’t give a date’ but least it’s something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Hopeful12

Well done all.
    What order of merit were you?
    Looks like the phone calls are going in that order!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Collinsb10

Hopeful12 wrote: »
    Well done all.
    What order of merit were you?
    Looks like the phone calls are going in that order!

Not sure they are because I've everything done since Feb 2020 and I'm oom 420 and a person above oom 445 got a call

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Aaron123

Collinsb10 wrote: »
    Not sure they are because I've everything done since Feb 2020 and I'm oom 420 and a person above oom 445 got a call

Same my oom is 315, no call yet

Have you all stages done with vetting complete?

I'm through it all but last I heard my vetting was outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Collinsb10

I've everything done and even been told my file been checked and approved but no call.

• Advertisement

My vetting is still outstanding too

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Here4TheCuffs

I've been lurking and catching up in here every few weeks. I applied in 2019. OOM in the 300's.

I've just been trucking on and let things be and waiting for the email. I called HR in January to check all was OK and they told me all was good and my vetting was passed ages ago and signed off, just sit tight.

My timeline is as follows;

Jul-19 - Stage 2 Assessment Center
    Nov-19 - Stage 3 Interview
    Dec-19 - Form B Completed
    Feb-20 - Physical & Medical Passed
    Jun-20 - Meeting with local Sergeant
    Jul-20 - Meeting with local Superintendent

I got the same phone call today, but they expressed it was just a survey call to see what candidates want to continue on with their application and explicitly told me they really don't know a solid date for intakes yet.

In saying that, at the end of the call they confirmed my email address over the phone and told me to be vigilant of my inbox and spam folder over the coming weeks and months. This would suggest cogs are turning behind closed doors. They're (hopefully) building a list for first offers going out with the expectation that they will all be accepted by removing candidates no longer interested/able to continue with the recruitment.

Just on the front of people worried about the physical. Particularly the bleep. Yes, the bleep is difficult and there has been some controversy over it's level of difficulty over the years. Particularly as a "traditional" bleep test is over 15M rather than the 20M used in the Garda physical.

Everyone is different, but I promise you 90% of this test is pure mental grit. Some people train by running. Some train for a test, by doing a test, so they'll do the bleep over and over again.

The way I trained was strength and conditioning classes. These exercises will condition your lungs. I did no form of jogging or running etc until I felt I was fit and breathing easy. I also have asthma, but it's well controlled.

When I felt the physicals were coming up, I did one bleep test a week wearing a weighted jacket. I put 10% of my bodyweight in the jacket. If you're struggling to just about get those last couple of bleeps, train with a weighted jacket. You'll feel your lungs and your muscles working harder to get there. When you go in for the actual bleep test, it'll be a piece of piss for you. The obstacle course the after is even easier, and you could do it with your eyes closed.

I hadn't done any sports in years before I started back training. I wasn't overweight etc but I was seriously unfit. My chest was burning and I felt light headed and nauseous the first couple of sessions, but I made sure to not push myself to the point of vomiting or keeling over when my vision and balance started going. I knew were my limit was.

Learn to love putting the exercise in. I loved getting stuck in to the sessions, because I knew I'd feel great afterwards. Then there are people who will dread the session, but then be in the same boat afterward but they still get stuck in that viscious cycle of "maybe I'll give it a miss this week, I'm tired, I have X amount of stuff to do at home".

Another thing that will help is uphill sprints. Doesn't have to be a massive incline. Mark out 20M. Sprint up as fast as you can and then jog or walk down. Control your breathing and power through it. Don't go too mad, your shins and ankles will thank you.

Biggest tip is definitely do your bleep test on proper solid ground with proper footwear, because your test will be in a sports hall with a solid floor. if your training on sand or grass etc, you'll get uncomfortable on the hard floor.

But as I said before, if you're already close enough to your bleep requirements, dig deep on the day and you'll get there. All the supervisors want you to pass, and it's a great environment. They'll literally cheer you on and keep you going. They wont let you give up on yourself if they know you can make the bleeps.

Better days are coming, keep the heads up and we'll be in uniform in no time!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭banjoh_10

Just recieved a call. Over the moon. Not an offer but great to see movement.

banjoh_10 wrote: »
    Just recieved a call. Over the moon. Not an offer but great to see movement.

Congrats man, was hoping to see you post this today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 howjamean

Is there many people from the 2018 competition still waiting to start? I done my medical & physical in July 2019 so i think from the phone call yday that my medical is probably going to be expired but he wasn’t sure what happens then

Hopefully you'll hear something soon.
    I got the "survey" phone call not long ago. Looks like there is movement:)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Swabber21

Great to hear that there is some movement again and congratulations to everyone who got a call!

I have started to kick up my efforts as I hope the PCT’S will start up again in the not so distant future. However, I am experiencing very bad shin splints when running. It feels like an intense pulsing pain in both my lower legs. It is beginning to hamper my running ability as my lungs and body feel great but my shins are in agony on runs.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems? Or has anyone any tips to overcome this? I am doing plenty of stretches and icing my legs also

Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Mar_mar27

Swabber21 wrote: »
    Great to hear that there is some movement again and congratulations to everyone who got a call!

I have started to kick up my efforts as I hope the PCT’S will start up again in the not so distant future. However, I am experiencing very bad shin splints when running. It feels like an intense pulsing pain in both my lower legs. It is beginning to hamper my running ability as my lungs and body feel great but my shins are in agony on runs.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems? Or has anyone any tips to overcome this? I am doing plenty of stretches and icing my legs also

Thanks guys

Hi swabber 21

I myself had shin issues while training for the beep test. Check out youtube videos for shin splint strengthening. Epson salt soaks helped alot between runs. Make sure you have the correct running shoe,neutral is best for high arches (I reccomend Brooks ghost), get ones with additional support if you have flat feet. And please dont practice the beep test on concrete. Purchase resistant bands to strengthen your glutes and engage them with the band before you set out running. I hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Lor198

Just wondering if the people yesterday that were called got offers? , or was it a survey call. I was told by a person outside of this forum that he got a call yesterday morning and would be going into templemore end of May start of June.

I applied in 2018, passed everything first time round except I had to have my eyes lasered. (I did not need to resit the medical) They cleared my laser by phone call Jan 20. I have sent a few emails about vetting since, as I have lived and traveled a lot in the 10 years, 19 address . Always getting the same reply its ongoing etc.
    A month ago they emailed me looking for futher clarification on vetting, they emailed twice in the same week. I have not heard anything since. I sent an email again yesterday, and this morning the same email came back , with a Dear Candidate , ... vetting is ongoing... we will be in contact in due course.
    Also I appied at the age of 33, im 36 next week!

Lor198 wrote: »
    Just wondering if the people yesterday that were called got offers? , or was it a survey call. I was told by a person outside of this forum that he got a call yesterday morning and would be going into templemore end of May start of June.

I applied in 2018, passed everything first time round except I had to have my eyes lasered. (I did not need to resit the medical) They cleared my laser by phone call Jan 20. I have sent a few emails about vetting since, as I have lived and traveled a lot in the 10 years, 19 address . Always getting the same reply its ongoing etc.
    A month ago they emailed me looking for futher clarification on vetting, they emailed twice in the same week. I have not heard anything since. I sent an email again yesterday, and this morning the same email came back , with a Dear Candidate , ... vetting is ongoing... we will be in contact in due course.

My sense of it is that those who are low oom and within the next couple of intakes are getting offers, those who are a few intakes out (but with everything complete) are getting early calls to confirm their interest.

The interest calls, as you can imagine, are to weed out those who have moved on, so they know how far down the list to keep calling.

• Advertisement

I didn't think there was any offers made to anyone through the phonecalls.

That makes sense, thanks lads.

Dean445 wrote: »
    I don’t think there was any offers made, it’s all provisional...

I was told to keep an eye on my emails over the next few weeks and months

I doubt they want to promise anything, as covid isn’t going anywhere and case numbers are not improving

Said the exact same to me. Just said keep an eye on my emails. So that's surely a sign offers are not too far away thank God.

banjoh_10 wrote: »
    Said the exact same to me. Just said keep an eye on my emails. So that's surely a sign offers are not too far away thank God.

One thing is for sure, everybody is a lot closer this week than they were previous.

Was looking very grim there for a while, was half expecting previous campaigns to get scrapped it was going on so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Harveli18

Lor198 wrote: »

I also applied in 2018 and passed everything first round. Had a really good oom but for some reason my vetting is still outstanding. Only emailed there on Tuesday and got the same response as yourself. I got called in November to run through my application again And the guy told me that would be my vetting wrapped up but that doesn’t seem to be the case. It’s very frustrating the whole thing

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Swabber21

Can anyone tell me where to find the loughborough 20m bleep test as I cannot find the audio for it anywhere

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Here4TheCuffs

Swabber21 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me where to find the loughborough 20m bleep test as I cannot find the audio for it anywhere

Thanks

I can't post links, but you'll find it in this playlist. Just put https:// in front of "open". open.spotify.com/artist/54MkFWnHaqa1uWsHMpCmAy

There's also a couple of apps that you can download where you can choose your distance. The one I used (can't remember the name at the moment) would let you start from a higher point. Eg if you wanted to start from 5.0 and onward because that's where you start to fatigue/lose breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Lor198

Im starting to think they dont check your file anymore and just send the same generic email to be honest.

Any others recieve phonecalls today?

• Advertisement

Got a call there, buzzing! The woman on the phone said there is an intake in May and people will be called through their oom.

Advertisement