Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment Stage 4 (2019 Campaign)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mahoney87

steviebb wrote: »
    Hi lads, passed my medical today the doctor told me as soon as he was finished with the examination. Just wondering if there is a whatsapp group set up for the july intake as im hoping i will be part of it.

Well done! Can I ask what was the eye test like? Did they make you read off the chart or is it your standard eye test on a machine? My eyesight isn’t the best now so I’m a bit worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 steviebb

The eye sight test was fine to be honest, it was done using the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭cmc35

Had medical today, everything was fine but they said that one ear was slightly worse than the other. I have wax build up so they put it down to that. Just wondering is it possible to repeat hearing test if the result comes back as a fail?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭AliHH

Hi lads i know i asked about this already
    But i have my PCT tomorrow and want some more advice regarding the test tomorrow any one can give anymore tips regarding the beep and other areas of the test.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Marty1476

cmc35 wrote: »
    Had medical today, everything was fine but they said that one ear was slightly worse than the other. I have wax build up so they put it down to that. Just wondering is it possible to repeat hearing test if the result comes back as a fail?

I don’t know about repeating it but unless you’re stone deaf I wouldn’t worry, I’ve never heard of anyone failing the hearing test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 clairemn89

AliHH wrote: »
    Hi lads i know i asked about this already
    But i have my PCT tomorrow and want some more advice regarding the test tomorrow any one can give anymore tips regarding the beep and other areas of the test.

Thanks

Hey I have my PCT tomorrow too. I only recieved an email on tuesday. I was told by sargent to take on full time work in febury because we wouldnt be called for 1 to 2 years. So i completly put fitness to the back of my mind and have been working 5x 12hr shifts a week as a health care assistant. So im extremly disapointed that i am not at all ready

clairemn89 wrote: »
    Hey I have my PCT tomorrow too. I only recieved an email on tuesday. I was told by sargent to take on full time work in febury because we wouldnt be called for 1 to 2 years. So i completly put fitness to the back of my mind and have been working 5x 12hr shifts a week as a health care assistant. So im extremly disapointed that i am not at all ready

Hi i am in the same situation as you and i have a slight prob with my knee but i knew if i said i can't make it i probably won't hear from them for a while so i agreed what time you in

Hi i am in the same situation as you and i have a slight prob with my knee but i knew if i said i can't make it i probably won't hear from them for a while so i agreed what time you in

Im being tested at 9am. What about you. Im at work now 8 to 8 im gonna be wrecked tomorrow. I thought the same myself i have no option but to give it a go but i feel so embarrassed already because im so unfit at the moment

Im in at 9am what about you, i felt the same so i figured i may try my best but i feel so embarassed because im unfit at the moment as i put it all to the side. 😬

Im being tested at 9am. What about you. Im at work now 8 to 8 im gonna be wrecked tomorrow. I thought the same myself i have no option but to give it a go but i feel so embarrassed already because im so unfit at the moment

Oh god your starting at 9?? I don't start till 1230 but i will leave here for nine to be up there early enough rather than late.

• Advertisement

Oh god your starting at 9?? I don't start till 1230 but i will leave here for nine to be up there early enough rather than late.

Where are you coming from. Im travelling from clare so i gotta leave at 7am. Whats worse is im working 8 to 8 today so i wont be home to late ill be wrecked. 4th 8 to 8 but i couldnt let work down i had to come in.

Where are you coming from. Im travelling from clare so i gotta leave at 7am. Whats worse is im working 8 to 8 today so i wont be home to late ill be wrecked. 4th 8 to 8 but i couldnt let work down i had to come in.

Thats a serious dose alright.

Best of luck to you both tomorrow !

Zux wrote: »
    Thats a serious dose alright.

Best of luck to you both tomorrow !

Thank you so much
    I will be back here as soon it's over to let you guys know how it was

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AD07

How long do the medicals take?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sparky92

AD07 wrote: »
    How long do the medicals take?
    Finished mine just now in Baggot street, took about a half hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Doyler8642

Sparky92 wrote: »
    Finished mine just now in Baggot street, took about a half hour.

Anything ya didn't expect? Did they tell ya there and then if ya passed

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sparky92

Doyler8642 wrote: »
    Anything ya didn't expect? Did they tell ya there and then if ya passed
    The Doctor hinted that I passed but the nurse said they can’t say, they just forward on the results to Garda HQ and they decide.

When you go in they give you a jar for a sample, nurse takes you in for blood pressure height, weight & peak-flow. They then take you for eye & hearing test & at that point the Doctor takes over and he looks at your coordination visually & physically (touch toes, walk in a straight line etc) then checks joints, listened to heart, lungs and checks your stomach for pain and your done ✅

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Joe12399

Hey, do you hear about medicals via email? Just completed fitness test today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭ussrsoviet

Joe12399 wrote: »
    Hey, do you hear about medicals via email? Just completed fitness test today

Hr will email you

Failed medical today due to eyesight, they said they don’t think my eyes are suitable, heartbreaking, either have to fork out for laser or else forget about it

• Advertisement

ussrsoviet wrote: »
    Failed medical today due to eyesight, they said they don’t think my eyes are suitable, heartbreaking, either have to fork out for laser or else forget about it

Sorry to hear.

I suspect I'll need it too, but planned to get it anyway just for quality of life reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cruzex

That’s a nightmare. I feel like I could be in the same boat.. what’s your eye prescription if you don’t mind me asking like are you “plus or minus”

cruzex wrote: »
    That’s a nightmare. I feel like I could be in the same boat.. what’s your eye prescription if you don’t mind me asking like are you “plus or minus”

-3.0 in my right and -2.75 in my left, I thought I cud just about pull tru it,wish I just left my contacts in cuz they never even checked

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cruzex

-3.0 in my right and -2.75 in my left, I thought I cud just about pull tru it,wish I just left my contacts in cuz they never even checked

Thanks for getting back to me. Ya I’m plus 5 in both so dunno how I’ll get on.

But u can still repeat though right?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 User152875

Is it possible to get checked by a proper optician if they say your eyes are too bad because there would be no disputing an optician but maybe you could dispute it if it was a nurse that gave the eye test ?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭mariyapsni

Hi, just go and get a laser surgery! You can literally change your life within a week! With a small prescription like yours, you will be sorted in 15 minutes operation. You are lucky u can get a relatively quick, painless and cheap operation and get sorted. I am applying for a different force with much higher prescription and my only option is a lens replacement surgery for nearly 10k euros, so..... go for it and dont delay. Some clinics can book you in literally for next Friday . Chin up xx

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Comot73

I pre-empted the eye test fail by getting the laser eye surgery, I had to get the LASEK with the longer heal time, Paid about €3200 , got €900 back in tax rebate, and was -2.25 in both eyes. -2.25 in an eye is way off the standard to pass. They encourage you to get it done should you fail, and a workmate of mine was told he would be given a retest when he got the surgery, and as soon as he was signed off by the laser surgeons he was given his start in templemore.

Everyone is entitled to chance it, but i'd think if you're +/- 2 or more, i'd just get it done.

Quality of life point of view, best money i've ever spent !!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ifeelabreeze

I got a phone call asking if I could fill in a cancellation for the PCT, I couldn’t but I’m guessing I’ll be called up for my own slot fairly soon, right?

Quick question on the Sit-Ups.
    I’ve been completing the 35 in a minute but I’m swinging my arms, I’ve seen on the AGS video they have their fingers to their temples.
    For anyone who’s done it, are they strict on form?
    Or am I okay swinging the arms for that extra momentum?

• Advertisement

I got a phone call asking if I could fill in a cancellation for the PCT, I couldn’t but I’m guessing I’ll be called up for my own slot fairly soon, right?

Quick question on the Sit-Ups.
    I’ve been completing the 35 in a minute but I’m swinging my arms, I’ve seen on the AGS video they have their fingers to their temples.
    For anyone who’s done it, are they strict on form?
    Or am I okay swinging the arms for that extra momentum?

Hands need to be on temples at all times, elbows to the knees and shoulder blades must hit the floor mat, they are strict on form, when i done it i had about 4 sit ups that werent counted

Advertisement