Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment Stage 4 (2019 Campaign)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭AliHH

I got a phone call asking if I could fill in a cancellation for the PCT, I couldn’t but I’m guessing I’ll be called up for my own slot fairly soon, right?

Quick question on the Sit-Ups.
    I’ve been completing the 35 in a minute but I’m swinging my arms, I’ve seen on the AGS video they have their fingers to their temples.
    For anyone who’s done it, are they strict on form?
    Or am I okay swinging the arms for that extra momentum?

Hi i just did mine yesterday and i passed
    They are nice they will push you to keep going and to achieve the required number you need to get.

To answer the question regarding swinging the arms no they won't let that happen keep your hands on your temple the say and touch your back and shoulder of the mat.

When you get tired just bounce your self of the mat in saying that i think you will be fine 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 41 NorthWestJ

I got a phone call asking if I could fill in a cancellation for the PCT, I couldn’t but I’m guessing I’ll be called up for my own slot fairly soon, right?

Quick question on the Sit-Ups.
    I’ve been completing the 35 in a minute but I’m swinging my arms, I’ve seen on the AGS video they have their fingers to their temples.
    For anyone who’s done it, are they strict on form?
    Or am I okay swinging the arms for that extra momentum?

Hands can’t come off the side of your head, sit-ups with swinging arms will not be counted unfortunately, they are very strict on form

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ifeelabreeze

AliHH wrote: »
    Hi i just did mine yesterday and i passed
    They are nice they will push you to keep going and to achieve the required number you need to get.

To answer the question regarding swinging the arms no they won't let that happen keep your hands on your temple the say and touch your back and shoulder of the mat.

When you get tired just bounce your self of the mat in saying that i think you will be fine 🙂

Thanks that’s good to know in advance!

I’m a little further off the mark than I’d like, I just thought I had more time but that phone call has given me a kick up the hole.

I’m tempted to see a PT to get myself that last bit of the way.
    I’m around 8 on the beep and I need 8.8, getting the sit ups swinging the arms and I don’t know where I stand regarding the push pull, hopefully I have a few weeks to get up to scratch.

What’s the time between sitting and repeating does anyone know?
    Is it generally 2 weeks later or can you just be called up for the following weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Joe12399

I had to repeat the push ups so needed to repeat stage 1. I was offered the next weekend but I couldn't take it so I repeated it 2 weeks later.

Thanks that’s good to know in advance!

I’m a little further off the mark than I’d like, I just thought I had more time but that phone call has given me a kick up the hole.

I’m tempted to see a PT to get myself that last bit of the way.
    I’m around 8 on the beep and I need 8.8, getting the sit ups swinging the arms and I don’t know where I stand regarding the push pull, hopefully I have a few weeks to get up to scratch.

What’s the time between sitting and repeating does anyone know?
    Is it generally 2 weeks later or can you just be called up for the following weekend?

No worries at all

I don't think you should go in thinking of the repeat as an option belive me you will pass!
    I was the same but on the day you will preform much better when you see the collage and the lads and girls with you there that will give you the extra push regarding the beep test..

The Sit-Ups and push-up i think that was easy and they will help you by pushing ya to keep going

Honestly they are lovely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 KaylaC

Does anyone know how long roughly I will be waiting to get called for the medical? Passed the PCT on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Doyler8642

KaylaC wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long roughly I will be waiting to get called for the medical? Passed the PCT on Saturday.

It was 2 or 3 days after the PCT I got the call for my medical. I'm in for it that at lunch time tomorrow. Hopefully you hear something from them in the next couple of days

• Registered Users Posts: 29 KaylaC

Doyler8642 wrote: »
    It was 2 or 3 days after the PCT I got the call for my medical. I'm in for it that at lunch time tomorrow. Hopefully you hear something from them in the next couple of days

Brilliant, thanks a mill! Best of luck tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭fay711

Anyone any news on medicals or if the July intake is being pushed back?

fay711 wrote: »
    Anyone any news on medicals or if the July intake is being pushed back?

Medicals have already taken place to cover the July intake, next batch of medicals will be for September , which will be in a few weeks I imagine , will all depend if they are outsourced again or done in HQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 LP404

Hi lads, for those who has the physical done, how strict are they with push ups? How deep do you have to go down, or which way do they want the elbows placed?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Harveli18

Has anyone received any offers for July yet?

LP404 wrote: »
    Hi lads, for those who has the physical done, how strict are they with push ups? How deep do you have to go down, or which way do they want the elbows placed?

Elbows just out straight and not that strict on how low you go, chest doesn’t have to touch the floor or anything

NorthWestJ wrote: »
    Medicals have already taken place to cover the July intake, next batch of medicals will be for September , which will be in a few weeks I imagine , will all depend if they are outsourced again or done in HQ

Sure the email said " it is envisaged, some successful candidates may be invited to start training mid-July" have you done the medical in the last week? And have been in contact with you again?

Doyler8642 wrote: »
    Sure the email said " it is envisaged, some successful candidates may be invited to start training mid-July" have you done the medical in the last week? And have been in contact with you again?

I think you have taken up what was said wrong ? The person was looking for information on future dates for medicals
    Medicals that are taking place now are for July

NorthWestJ wrote: »
    I think you have taken up what I said wrong ? The person was looking for information on future dates for medicals
    Medicals that are taking place now are for July

Sorry I'm with you now. Was hoping for July and thought it would be another 3months after reading that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mahoney87

Anyone waiting to do their physical, how are ye getting on with the beep test? And those who did it, did many struggle or even fail?

mahoney87 wrote: »
    Anyone waiting to do their physical, how are ye getting on with the beep test? And those who did it, did many struggle or even fail?[/quote

I had to repeat stage 1 as I failed push ups the first time. Around 5 of the 8 failed the beep both times I sit the test. Im sure most people pass though in other groups. I'd run fairly regularly so the physical aspect was fine. It's more of a mental test for people who can run. If you are not a runner practise would be the key

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mahoney87

Joe12399 wrote: »
    Anyone waiting to do their physical, how are ye getting on with the beep test? And those who did it, did many struggle or even fail?[/quote

I had to repeat stage 1 as I failed push ups the first time. Around 5 of the 8 failed the beep both times I sit the test. Im sure most people pass though in other groups. I'd run fairly regularly so the physical aspect was fine. It's more of a mental test for people who can run. If you are not a runner practise would be the key

Thanks!! Did you manage to pass your repeat though? The beep test is fairly hard. Been lacking training since the lockdown. Struggling to reach 8 and I’m afraid I’ll be called in next weekend.

Joe12399 wrote: »

Thanks!! Did you manage to pass your repeat though? The beep test is fairly hard. Been lacking training since the lockdown. Struggling to reach 8 and I’m afraid I’ll be called in next weekend.

Ya I passed the repeat easily. I failed the first time due to slipping (literally) during the push ups. If your getting to 8 the adrenaline should push you to a pass on the beep test. Just keep the head down until level 7 then pick up the pace until the end. It's only a few minutes of hard running and if your practising it's well manageable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Donnat1986

Hello all, did anyone attend Medmark on Penrose Wharf, Cork for their medical over the past week? If so, could you please PM. Thanks ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rebeccab99

Does anyone have to number in regards to calling to try and get a cancellation for the PCT or what department I should look to speak to?

Rebeccab99 wrote: »
    Does anyone have to number in regards to calling to try and get a cancellation for the PCT or what department I should look to speak to?

HR them self i think that's who sends the emails out

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Marty1476

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cruzex

Anyone recently do the medical that wears glasses know if you need to have your glasses off an hour before going in? I know it says contacts need to be out 1 hour before but it doesn’t say anything about glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Donnat1986

cruzex wrote: »
    Anyone recently do the medical that wears glasses know if you need to have your glasses off an hour before going in? I know it says contacts need to be out 1 hour before but it doesn’t say anything about glasses.

I left my glasses on because it said nothing about removing them, only to remove contacts. You'll do the same eye test both with and without them on.

Donnat1986 wrote: »
    I left my glasses on because it said nothing about removing them, only to remove contacts. You'll do the same eye test both with and without them on.

So they let you go ahead with glasses on?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rebeccab99

I rang HRM looking for a cancellation spot for the fitness but they said the Fitness tests aren’t happening this weekend and haven’t been scheduled to start back for another while yet

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Marty1476

I rang HRM looking for a cancellation spot for the fitness but they said the Fitness tests aren’t happening this weekend and haven’t been scheduled to start back for another while yet

they must have enough people to fill the July intake if they're not continuing pct's, set your sights on September unless a lot of people differ their offer of an intake for july

• Advertisement

Marty1476 wrote: »
    they must have enough people to fill the July intake if they're not continuing pct's, set your sights on September unless a lot of people differ their offer of an intake for july

Was thinking the same when I read that.

Advertisement