Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment Stage 4 (2019 Campaign)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 TC101029

Did anyone receive an offer recently and might have to defer?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Goddard

It is full time two 12 hour day shifts followed by two 12 hour night shifts and then four days off and so on. Can be any distance depending on what country you live in and where your nearest training station is etc. Not all stations are training stations.

I’m not in it for the money but €184 for a 48hr work week seems a bit of a stretch. Now wonder why so many new recruits dropped off last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Marty1476

Goddard wrote: »
    I’m not in it for the money but €184 for 48hrs seems a bit of a stretch. Now wonder why so many new recruits dropped off last year.

I agree with what you’re saying but on the other hand you’re essentially getting paid to go to college and obtain a BA in policing studies with guaranteed employment at the end of the course

Marty1476 wrote: »
    I agree with what you’re saying but on the other hand you’re essentially getting paid to go to college and obtain a BA in policing studies with guaranteed employment at the end of the course

Worth noting is, that is what you should be doing.

The reality lately has been very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 S_G

Has anyone received confirmation that they’re in the intake for July 2021?

• Advertisement

Zux wrote: »

The best advice I’ve gotten of Garda friends is Be prepared to struggle the first few years, if you don’t it will eat you up, the majority of people who give up on the course are the ones who didn’t realise how tough it would be financially.

Harsh but true

The best advice I’ve gotten of Garda friends is Be prepared to struggle the first few years, if you don’t it will eat you up, the majority of people who give up on the course are the ones who didn’t realise how tough it would be financially.

Harsh but true

Yea it definitely seems to be tough going for everybody.

Bad form to allow those volunteering to fill such a demanding role to be in such a situation, but there we go.

Yea it definitely seems to be tough going for everybody.

Bad form to allow those volunteering to fill such a demanding role to be in such a situation, but there we go.

Agreed,

I feel bad for those who have to move to Dublin if they get stationed there, the rental market is like the hunger games and prices are absolutely extortionate, it’ll be a big eye opener for a lot and I know a few people who simply quit the force because of it

Sorry all for putting a dampener on it but it’s time to get affairs in order

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Goddard

Agreed, I would have no issue with the full time college course and payment. The everyday learning and structure is actually what I was looking forward to the most. However with the current recruits it seems to be very mish - mash. Nobody’s fault of course, but for this reason I am having serious seconds thoughts.

Goddard wrote: »
    Agreed, I would have no issue with the full time college course and payment. The everyday learning and structure is actually what I was looking forward to the most. However with the current recruits it seems to be very mish - mash. Nobody’s fault of course, but for this reason I am having serious seconds thoughts.

Thats understandable.

I suppose its hard to know how it will all play out in the end, and I'd try and see the bigger, long term, picture.

Certainly, the training plan is less than ideal at present, but it will form a small part of what is otherwise a long (and hopefully fulfilling) career.

If you were certain this was for you to begin with,, I wouldnt let this stand in your way.

Having said all that, if the finances thing is the actual hurdle, I cant blame anybody for backing out.

• Advertisement

Thats understandable.

I suppose its hard to know how it will all play out in the end, and I'd try and see the bigger, long term, picture.

Certainly, the training plan is less than ideal at present, but it will form a small part of what is otherwise a long (and hopefully fulfilling) career.

If you were certain this was for you to begin with,, I wouldnt let this stand in your way.

Having said all that, if the finances thing is the actual hurdle, I cant blame anybody for backing out.

Another thing my Garda friends said to me is don’t let the starting salary put you off, there is always the credit union to help you out and as the saying goes “you’ll never see a poor guard”. One friend is 8 years in and a community guard and she took home 58k with overtime (this was about 4years ago when she told me in fairness ) but she loves her Ibiza holidays and isn’t shy of a few quid when she goes out on the town

They’re not rich but they’re certainly comfortable, decent cars, good houses etc.

First few years will be tough and you will rely heavily on credit union but eventually you’ll find your stride and be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sparky92

Another thing my Garda friends said to me is don’t let the starting salary put you off, there is always the credit union to help you out and as the saying goes “you’ll never see a poor guard”. One friend is 8 years in and a community guard and she took home 58k with overtime (this was about 4years ago when she told me in fairness ) but she loves her Ibiza holidays and isn’t shy of a few quid when she goes out on the town

They’re not rich but they’re certainly comfortable, decent cars, good houses etc.

First few years will be tough and you will rely heavily on credit union but eventually you’ll find your stride and be fine
    I heard the same from my mates… apparently they call you asking if you want a loan… They said to me don’t let money turn you off it you’ll be grand.

Sparky92 wrote: »
    I heard the same from my mates… apparently they call you asking if you want a loan… They said to me don’t let money turn you off it you’ll be grand.

All the old school lads I know got their mortgages sorted through the credit union.

Your job security is some of the best around, a guard and a nurse are a bank mangers wet dream for giving a loan :)

Spot on lads !

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Lor198

24hrs

If its 4 days on 4 days off though? 2 days 2 nights is what was wrote earlier on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭stiimpreza1984

Lor198 wrote: »
    If its 4 days on 4 days off though? 2 days 2 nights is what was wrote earlier on this thread

2 days and two nights, 4 on 4 off. Hope that clarifies it better. These were put in place for Covid. So may change back to the old roster in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Grassy_Knoll37

Has anyone deferred the July offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ShaunaEllen

Has anyone deferred the July offer?

No. I did want to but got a fairly stern reply basically saying take it or leave it. So it wasn’t worth the risk!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 TC101029

No. I did want to but got a fairly stern reply basically saying take it or leave it. So it wasn’t worth the risk!

Yes I am deferring too. I spoke to appointments and they were OK with it. Is anyone else in a similar situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Lor198

Just want to see if anyone one else is still waiting since 2018? Finished everything since Jan 2020 (PRK cleared). Except waiting on a small percentage of vetting to come back, I have been told this since 2019, everything I phone Hr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 steviebb

Has anyone received an offer this week yet? I really hope the july intake isnt full yet.

Just want to see if anyone one else is still waiting since 2018? Finished everything since Jan 2020 (PRK cleared). Except waiting on a small percentage of vetting to come back, I have been told this since 2019, everything I phone Hr.

Samsies, exact same story with me, vetting outstanding lark

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sparky92

steviebb wrote: »
    Has anyone received an offer this week yet? I really hope the july intake isnt full yet.
    I got a the shout at 11 today

Sparky92 wrote: »
    I got a the shout at 11 today

Thats great, im still waiting. Im not holding out much hope now for the july intake if i didnt get called this morning im guessing i wont be called until september.

I spoke with HR this morning, they must be sick to the teeth of me ringing at this stage. They told me my file is just undergoing final checks and that it is at the final stage. They also said that there will be more offers sent out this week but didnt give a day or date for when that might be for the july intake. Still keeping my fingers crossed that i will get an email but i wont hold my breath either..

Who did you ring in HR? I got through to someone who said that public jobs get in contact with you about hearing down to the college 🀣 I know that’s not right and don’t wanna keep ringing the same guy

Thats great, im still waiting. Im not holding out much hope now for the july intake if i didnt get called this morning im guessing i wont be called until september.

Hey when did you complete your medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Harveli18

I’m also waiting from 2018 and keep getting told the exact same thing about a small part of vetting still outstanding. It’s extremely frustrating isn’t it.

S_G wrote: »
    Hey when did you complete your medical?

I did my medical 2 weeks ago this week??

S_G wrote: »
    Who did you ring in HR? I got through to someone who said that public jobs get in contact with you about hearing down to the college 🀣 I know that’s not right and don’t wanna keep ringing the same guy

I dont know exactky who i spoke to just a guy working there who was helpful but at the same time didnt and wouldnt give anything away so its frustrating enough trying to get any information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭cmc35

When is the start date for this month

Advertisement