Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC HL marhs & Dyslexia

Options
  • 17-11-2019 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi looking for some advice on behalf of my son.
    Like i said in the heading he is doing HL maths and applied maths and is dyslexic.
    His teacher wants him to go back pass he says no. He also refused to give up applied maths as he like them.

Which is fine with me. As he likes maths . He says its the reading of the questions that is the issue he is not sure what the questions are asking.
    He not having issues in any other HL subjects just maths.

This is what i have done so far

I have got him the past papers with solutions.
    His older brother who is also dyslexic and did HL maths helps him.
    Got him the colour overlays as he says the words on the maths move as he reads them , its interesting to note that this does not happen in physics HL, business HL etc

Any other ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Seems unlikely that he’d only have issues reading the questions in HL maths, but not in applied maths or physics.

I don’t know, obviously, but it sounds like he’s having difficulty with the maths, and is either pretending that it’s the dyslexia, or possibly genuinely thinks it is.
    Maybe try giving him a few ordinary level questions and see if the problem persists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

pmrc wrote: »
    He says its the reading of the questions that is the issue he is not sure what the questions are asking.
    He not having issues in any other HL subjects just maths.

Problems interpreting the question and figuring out what they are actually being asked, is the most common reason students struggle with HL Maths - with no dyslexia in the equation. If he had a reader for JC he should have one for LC, and this should address any actual reading problems. But comprehending and interpreting the wording of questions is part of the skills being examined and there will be no reasonable accommodations to help with this. To me it doesn't sound like dyslexia is the main issue here, but rather mathematising a word problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pmrc

Problems interpreting the question and figuring out what they are actually being asked, is the most common reason students struggle with HL Maths - with no dyslexia in the equation. If he had a reader for JC he should have one for LC, and this should address any actual reading problems. But comprehending and interpreting the wording of questions is part of the skills being examined and there will be no reasonable accommodations to help with this. To me it doesn't sound like dyslexia is the main issue here, but rather mathematising a word problem.
    How can i help him with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Doesn't sound like dyslexia if there isn't a problem reading the maths and physics papers, sounds like a comprehension problem.

Maybe start by sitting down with him and getting him to read the question and point out where the difficulty is. If it is a vocabulary problem then that is something that can be overcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭CraftySue

Go through papers, make a list of keywords that come up time and time again, categorise vocabulary into words that have similar meaning. Student with dyslexia can often have difficulties retrieving the meaning of words or thinking or thinking of other words that have the same name. Go over keywords, explain what each means and give other words which have the same meaning.
    Secondly, get your son to read the question, then highlight the information that is needed/ key information; from there look for what they are asking and then try to figure the steps needed to solve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pmrc

Just an up date .

He didn't do the traditional leaving cert due to covid.

But got engineering in college passed first year exams with an average of 70+.

Start 2nd year in September hopefully in college not just on line..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Good for him.

Make sure he avails of any supports the college is offering, should he find himself having difficulty.

Students sometimes leave it until they are completely lost, whereas a quick intervention early on would have made things much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

I'd second that. It appears to me the supports are more readily available in 3rd level than 2nd level where you have to fight for everything. It might help if he has a dyslexia report.

I would also advise him to get someone to read over any assignments before submitting, just to check for grammatical errors and readability, some courses have an 'academic writing' component in the marking criteria. It doesn't have to be someone from his course who'll check it over, even someone like a friend who's studying English or history. Anyone doing a master's is advised to have a critical friend also so it's not that uncommon.

If the dyslexia is pretty severe I'd also advise this in his working life (if he can be discrete). Some people do judge, especially if he's making presentations to people outside his company etc.

Advertisement