Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC HL maths and dyslexic

Options
  • 17-11-2019 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi I am looking for some advice on behalf of my son.
    Like i said in the heading he is doing HL maths and applied maths and is dyslexic.
    His teacher wants him to go back pass he says no. He also refused to give up applied maths as he like them.

Which is fine with me. As he likes maths . He says its the reading of the questions that is the issue he is not sure what the questions are asking.
    He not having issues in any other HL subjects just maths.

This is what i have done so far

I have got him the past papers with solutions.
    His older brother who is also dyslexic and did HL maths helps him.
    Got him the colour overlays as he says the words on the maths move as he reads them , its interesting to note that this does not happen in physics HL, business HL etc

Any other ideas?
    Also posted on teaching page

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Talk to the special needs teacher in the school and see can he qualify for a reader in the exams who would read the question to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pmrc

spurious wrote: »
    Talk to the special needs teacher in the school and see can he qualify for a reader in the exams who would read the question to him.

He has applied for a reader and scribe like he had in junior cert.
    According to the principal he may get reader but will unlikely get a scribe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Has he an issue with writing the answers too, or just the reading of the questions?
    Working with a scribe is more difficult than you would imagine, especially in a maths type subject. It sounds like if he can get a reader it will make things easier for him.

Advertisement