Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do single people buy houses?

Options
  • 17-11-2019 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭

I'm 23, single and I currently live at home. I make 32K a year, have 10K saved, and I'm in the very fortunate position that I can save ~1500 a month. My parents are well off, and they would rather I save for a property, rather than pay them rent. (Although I do try and contribute - I buy food for the house when I'm out, I cover all the animals vet bills (quite a few this year), give my brothers money when they need it ect.)

I'm a software engineer, so I will be on near enough 50k in two years' time. If I can save 1K a month for the next 2 years, I will have a deposit of 34K + a mortgage amount of 175K. I will have 210K which is just short of me buying a 2-bed apartment in the same estate I currently live in (I love the area, as it has great transport links. It's not upper class, but it's not rough either).

It seems so hard to buy a place, I have no idea how people renting can manage?
    Failed to load the poll.

Advertisement