Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

13 year-old girl critical after Lisnaskea machete attack

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Let's be honest - who originally looked at the title of this thread - and without even reading the first post didn't think it was "those who travel"?

I'd say 99.99% didn't even need to read the OP.

Everyone knows.

Unfortunately, all I had to see was machete and lisnaskea.
    What a way to live.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Any comment from the Traveller activists?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

sasta le wrote: »
    Any comment from the Traveller activists?

Still looking for an apology for 10 year old tweets

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

blanch152 wrote: »

I have previously asked on other threads about positive aspects of Traveller culture. The only persistent response relates to promoting family way of life, but when that includes beating your wife and marrying your uneducated daughter off at 16, I don't see the positive aspects of Traveller family culture.

There are none in my opinion.

It's a "culture" that should be left to die, and would die if the state didn't keep pissing taxpayers money away on it's life support.

Anyone who wants to call that racist really needs to have a list of the positives to hand before i'll entertain them.

The world moves on and everybody needs to move with it, who gives a rats arse what your grandparents did from day to day, they lived in a different world. You have to change with the times. Nobody wants a fúcking pot mended, deal with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Three..

and a Christmas card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

The 'logic' that these scumbags being Travelers means all Travelers are scumbags is still wrong as it is with any group IMO.

Matt, I don't care how left-liberal your politics are — you can't ignore the fact that these attacks are connected to a disturbingly violent culture of family feuding associated specifically with Travellers.

No other group in Irish society is attacking children with machetes. It's not a scumbag issue — it's a Traveller issue.

Things have gone far past the point where anyone can justify making excuses for this barbarism. This violent feuding, and Traveller criminality more generally, needs to be tackled urgently. It is getting worse and worse, and destroying lives, while politicians faff about and do nothing for fear of seeming racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

I suppose one good thing is that this happened in another country so the Guards can't be blamed. But if Mary Lou gets her way, then some day soon, Lisnaskea - and all of its colourful residents - will be as Irish as the tricolour tattoo on James McClean's leg.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Is Pavee Point an All Ireland body or just the Republic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

I don't care how left-liberal your politics are — you can't ignore the fact

if they didn't ignore facts they wouldn't be libtards

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

What do you want, people to defend them?
    The 'logic' that these scumbags being Travelers means all Travelers are scumbags is still wrong as it is with any group IMO.

Not all Travellers are scumbags, but a disproportionally large share of them are.
    I wouldn't like to live beside a traveller family going from past experiences. If that makes me a racist, then I guess I am.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Actually no. The ‘logic’ part is where we can all tell what members of society committed this horrible act without being told. This kind of scumbaggery is so common within the traveller community, it hardly raises an eyelid now, to the point where dopes like [redacted] actually come on and defend this ****show.

How any civilised member of society can defend these clowns is beyond me.

My opinion is my own. I'll not tar a complete group over the actions of some.

On your comment. It's disgraceful and should be tackled.
    Nobody is defending these people, we are often told they are or would do, but I've not ever seen it.
    Briando wrote: »
    Not all Travellers are scumbags, but a disproportionally large share of them are.
    I wouldn't like to live beside a traveller family going from past experiences. If that makes me a racist, then I guess I am.

Neither would I, although I have done. Doesn't mean I assume everyone of them are scumbags. I don't think their lifestyle is compatible and rather than making concessions to the 'culture' they should be treated like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

171170 wrote: »
    I suppose one good thing is that this happened in another country so the Guards can't be blamed. But if Mary Lou gets her way, then some day soon, Lisnaskea - and all of its colourful residents - will be as Irish as the tricolour tattoo on James McClean's leg.

Lisnaskea today, Cavan, Longford, Mullingar, Athlone etc tomorrow.
    Depends on the next council with a house ready after they wreck the one they're in now.
    Feel for the victims though, this must be a terrifying experience for any family, especially women and children and really impressed by the bravery of this young girl if the story about her is accurate, I'd like her in my corner in troubled times.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

That view makes you a normal sensible member of society. Who in their right mind would like to live beside them..........apart from 5 presidential candidates that is. :D

Dante7 wrote: »
    At what percentage of criminality would you accept that there is an issue with Traveller culture? 10%, 20% doesn't seem to be an issue. If it hit 50%, would that ring alarm bells? Or is there any number?

Everything about this case highlights a problem with Traveller culture. From the young teenage girls being encouraged to inflict violence against a special needs woman, to a young girl getting machetes while her family seem more concerned about making YouTube videos with the aim of furthering a feud.

Their culture is disgusting and has no place in modern society. They will not change while we placate them and give credence to idea that problem is that we call them knackers.

So you're saying people can be evil and criminal? I agree. Terrible stuff.
    Matt, I don't care how left-liberal your politics are — you can't ignore the fact that these attacks are connected to a disturbingly violent culture of family feuding associated specifically with Travellers.

No other group in Irish society is attacking children with machetes. It's not a scumbag issue — it's a Traveller issue.

Things have gone far past the point where anyone can justify making excuses for this barbarism. This violent feuding, and Traveller criminality more generally, needs to be tackled urgently. It is getting worse and worse, and destroying lives, while politicians faff about and do nothing for fear of seeming racist.

Yeah, I'm not defending them. Easier to pretend I am, but I'm not. However I won't be racist, which I believe would be the appropriate term as they have a 'culture' now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Who would want to live beside them? Infact it is not just travellers who I wouldn't want to live beside, it's anybody that is going to make my life a misery?

I know I wouldn't want to live beside anyone who is a scumbag or criminal or a scumbag criminal who is going to make my life a misery.

Be honest would anyone want that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Where do you even start with these? Where do you even ****ing start?

Maybe start by applying the law to them. The problem I see is that they think that the rule of law doesn't apply to them. Sulky races, bare knuckle fights, fueds, the list goes on, time for the government and law enforcement agencies to start applying to the law to them and put a stop to them thinking that the law doesn't apply to them.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Maybe start by applying the law to them. The problem I see is that they think that the rule of law doesn't apply to them. Sulky races, bare knuckle fights, fueds, the list goes on, time for the government and law enforcement agencies to start applying to the law to them and put a stop to them thinking that the law doesn't apply to them.

There's a blind eye being turned. We see similar in poorer areas. Once the important people are relatively unscathed, sure let them kill each other. We can just shrug our shoulders with, 'travelers' or 'junkies' etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Easy for travellers to be causing Mayhem everywhere when 98% don’t or won’t work , social welfare doesn’t go chasing any of them to produce job applications or going on courses !
    Instead of USC appearing on your wage slip it will soon read contribution to travellers welfare bill !

• Registered Users Posts: 52,016 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Floppybits wrote: »

And yet they represent 23% of the prison population despite only being only 0.7% of the population.

I don't consider myself the Americanised definition of 'liberal' all the internet kids refer to these days. There's certain people I'd see locked up for life without parole.
    Yeah, I'm not defending them. Easier to pretend I am, but I'm not. However I won't be racist, which I believe would be the appropriate term as they have a 'culture' and ethnic status now. I don't recognise them as an ethnic group, I wouldn't have bestowed that upon them.

Fair enough. I was reacting to the "not all Travellers..." line.

We must face the reality that Traveller culture has grown steadily more violent since the advent of social media. It has become the norm to document attacks, fights, and call-outs, and share them among the wider Traveller community by way of YouTube, WhatsApp, and other channels. This inevitably fuels a culture of retribution and egging-on that leads to ever more violent attacks, because no family wants to be viewed as weak in front of the entire community. If one family does x, the other family feels they need to do 2x in response, and the whole thing quickly escalates out of control.

Acting as if this feuding is confined to a small minority of Travellers ignores the fact that many other Travellers are involved in sharing and commenting on videos and egging on the perpetrators to ever greater atrocities.

We need a coordinated and hard-hitting response to this across both sides of the border. The softly-softly approach to this feuding, and the general appeasement approach to Travellers, is getting us nowhere. I'm sure the Gardai and the PSNI know exactly who is involved, so why let the violence escalate further?

• Advertisement

We must face the reality that Traveller culture has grown steadily more violent since the advent of social media. It has become the norm to document attacks, fights, and call-outs, and share them among the wider Traveller community by way of YouTube, WhatsApp, and other channels. This inevitably fuels a culture of retribution and egging-on that leads to ever more violent attacks, because no family wants to be viewed as weak in front of the entire community. If one family does x, the other family feels they need to do 2x in response, and the whole thing quickly escalates out of control.

Acting as if this feuding is confined to a small minority of Travellers ignores the fact that many other Travellers are involved in sharing and commenting on videos and egging on the perpetrators to ever greater atrocities.

We need a coordinated and hard-hitting response to this across both sides of the border. The softly-softly approach to this feuding, and the general appeasement approach to Travellers, is getting us nowhere. I'm sure the Gardai and the PSNI know exactly who is involved, so why let the violence escalate further?

I would say it lends itself to criminality. Moving around considered the norm would be a big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

We must face the reality that Traveller culture has grown steadily more violent since the advent of social media.

Has it or are we just more aware of how it has always been because it is more visible on social media?
    It has become the norm to document attacks, fights, and call-outs, and share them among the wider Traveller community by way of YouTube, WhatsApp, and other channels.

I can rember witnessing a running battle between two factions, with sticks, bats, billhooks, etc..., up and down the main street of a town in the early hours after a fair twenty or more years ago. The more things change the more they remain the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Capra

Has it or are we just more aware of how it has always been because it is more visible on social media?

I can rember witnessing a running battle between two factions, with sticks, bats, billhooks, etc..., up and down the main street of a town in the early hours after a fair twenty or more years ago. The more things change the more they remain the same.

Yeah. They've been known to be horribly violent as long as I have been alive. I remember cars being seized with weapons like you mention and worse when I was very young. Violence is in their nature.

On that point an illegal halting site near me was practically demolished by my settled neighbours back in the day. All the caravan windows were put in and there was talk of a traveler kid having been molested. All hear say, but I witnessed them being ran out of the area under a hail of bricks. Not sure it made the news.

It's my impression that the violence and feuding are only being intensified by the back-and-forth online threats and call-out videos. I'm not saying Traveller culture was ever peaceful, but social media has only made things worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

God bless the mart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

blanch152 wrote: »
    I have previously asked on other threads about positive aspects of Traveller culture. The only persistent response relates to promoting family way of life, but when that includes beating your wife and marrying your uneducated daughter off at 16, I don't see the positive aspects of Traveller family culture.

I think it's fair to say that notwithstanding the complete disregard for the local environment by some even many travelers, that they live more lightly on the planet than many settled people. In that they have shorter life spans and generally make do with less 'stuff'. Some traveler families have also been the mainstay of parts of Irish culture like trad music, think of the Raineys, Dorans or Fureys etc. So it's not all negative. Still I think some of these values and traditions could be sacrificed in the interests of them getting on better with the rest of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,081 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

BarryD2 wrote: »
    I think it's fair to say that notwithstanding the complete disregard for the local environment by some even many travelers, that they live more lightly on the planet than many settled people. In that they have shorter life spans and generally make do with less 'stuff'. Some traveler families have also been the mainstay of parts of Irish culture like trad music, think of the Raineys, Dorans or Fureys etc. So it's not all negative. Still I think some of these values and traditions could be sacrificed in the interests of them getting on better with the rest of society.

Considering that the biggest thing we can do for the planet is to have less children; That's false.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

BarryD2 wrote: »

Back in the day there were some decent travellers but nowadays the vast majority of them are into burgulary, drug dealing , personal injury fraud , extortion and don’t have an ounce of respect for the law abiding community only laughing at them going out to work .
    Discrimination etc is then used as a smokescreen to get away with all the crime and butter up some cloud cuckoo land liberals from donnybrook to carry their cock and bull discrimination yarns . Free legal aid solicitors also would be fans of travellers as they nearly make as much out of traveller crime as the travellers themselves .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Considering that the biggest thing we can do for the planet is to have less children; That's false.

Well they squeeze them into small spaces, none of this separate bedroom nonsense :)

Advertisement