Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveling to US for the first time on my own - advice on US security?

Options
  • 17-11-2019 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I will be traveling to the US for the first time next year and have some questions. I read some Irish tourists are denied entry to the US every week so I am a little nervous as some friends have told me that the US security officials are very intimidating. I work for a US multi-national company and work in our Irish office. I talk a lot with some colleagues who live and are based in the one of the US offices every day and we decided that I should come visit them in a couple of months. I'm not going over to work, just visiting them. I'm nervous about answering the questions so any advice would be appreciated!

1. As I will be going over to visit colleagues but not going over there to work in the office, should I tell security I'm just visiting work colleagues? How should I phrase this when talking to security - Would I say I am on a business or a pleasure trip? Similarly, if they ask where I work, do I give the name of the company I work for?

2. Also, I will be staying with one of my colleagues so won't have any documents of hotel/b&b accommodation. Again, if security ask should I just stay I'm staying with them or should I find out the address of the colleague I'll be staying with and give it as proof?

3. I'm flying to Austin with a layover in New York. When I get to New York, will I also have to go through security there? I understand I will be going through pre-clearance in Dublin first. When I arrive in Austin, will there be security checks there?

4. My flight is scheduled at 4.30pm. What time should I arrive to the airport to ensure I am on time? If I arrive about 3 hours early, as soon as I arrive, can I go straight to security or do I have to wait? I plan to check in online and I will not be checking in any baggage and just have a carry on luggage

I've only been out of the country twice prior to this so airport security, let alone US airport security is still very new to me and I've read some horror stories about the US security officials!

Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

US pre-clearence is fine, they are doing their job and take it seriously but I have always found them to be professional and courteous.
    They will ask the reason for your visit, how long your staying, have you been before. All you have to say is your visiting friends. They more than likely will ask you where that is so make sure you have an address to hand. They will ask you what luggage you have and to identify any checked in baggage on their screens, depending on how long you are going for hand luggage may ring some alarm bells for them if they think you have packed too lightly for your trip especially considering all checked on baggage for US bound flights comes at no extra cost.

You will only pass regular security in JFK.

3 hours pre flight is all thats needed but personally i try aim for 3.5 hours minimum. Pre clearance lines can be long and you can be there for over an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

You’ll have to fill in the address of where you’re staying in the ESTA anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Make sure you use the official US site for your ESTA applicatioin
    https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I will be traveling to the US for the first time next year and have some questions. I read some Irish tourists are denied entry to the US every week so I am a little nervous as some friends have told me that the US security officials are very intimidating. I work for a US multi-national company and work in our Irish office. I talk a lot with some colleagues who live and are based in the one of the US offices every day and we decided that I should come visit them in a couple of months. I'm not going over to work, just visiting them. I'm nervous about answering the questions so any advice would be appreciated!

1. As I will be going over to visit colleagues but not going over there to work in the office, should I tell security I'm just visiting work colleagues? How should I phrase this when talking to security - Would I say I am on a business or a pleasure trip? Similarly, if they ask where I work, do I give the name of the company I work for?

2. Also, I will be staying with one of my colleagues so won't have any documents of hotel/b&b accommodation. Again, if security ask should I just stay I'm staying with them or should I find out the address of the colleague I'll be staying with and give it as proof?

3. I'm flying to Austin with a layover in New York. When I get to New York, will I also have to go through security there? I understand I will be going through pre-clearance in Dublin first. When I arrive in Austin, will there be security checks there?

4. My flight is scheduled at 4.30pm. What time should I arrive to the airport to ensure I am on time? If I arrive about 3 hours early, as soon as I arrive, can I go straight to security or do I have to wait? I plan to check in online and I will not be checking in any baggage and just have a carry on luggage

I've only been out of the country twice prior to this so airport security, let alone US airport security is still very new to me and I've read some horror stories about the US security officials!

Many thanks in advance!

First of all, you have to get an ESTA, you need to put the address of where you are spending your first night
    Only use this site https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

Your trip type is vacation / pleasure

Don't overthink the situation, keep it simple & straightforward, be truthful & it will be fine

You'll do immigration and customs in Dublin arriving in US as a domestic passenger so no further checks on arrival, just collect your bags

3 hours before flight is fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

jrosen wrote: »
    US pre-clearence is fine, they are doing their job and take it seriously but I have always found them to be professional and courteous.
    They will ask the reason for your visit, how long your staying, have you been before. All you have to say is your visiting friends. They more than likely will ask you where that is so make sure you have an address to hand. They will ask you what luggage you have and to identify any checked in baggage on their screens, depending on how long you are going for hand luggage may ring some alarm bells for them if they think you have packed too lightly for your trip especially considering all checked on baggage for US bound flights comes at no extra cost.

You will only pass regular security in JFK.

3 hours pre flight is all thats needed but personally i try aim for 3.5 hours minimum. Pre clearance lines can be long and you can be there for over an hour.

I will be going for 5 days. In that case, do you think I should bring checked baggage too? Last thing I would need is them getting suspicious of me! Although I might be going for 7 days, haven't booked the flights yet

• Advertisement

I will be going for 5 days. In that case, do you think I should bring checked baggage too? Last thing I would need is them getting suspicious of me!

You’re overthinking this. Relax. A checked bag is fine. They’re not Gestapo agents and they’re not looking to catch you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

You might as well check in a bag - less to carry during most of your time in the airport, and a bit of space to carry anything you may buy or be given as a gift while you're there.
    3 to 3.5 hours before flight time is plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

You might as well check a bag, then your not lugging that about especially with a lay over in JFK. One less thing to worry about.

You are going on a legitimate trip, get your ESTA approval, take your time filling in the info, it will be fine, never had an issue with the US Immigration officers in either DUB or SNN they are professional & polite, really you'll be fine as long as the information you put on your ESTA application is correct, you've nothing to hide, you'll be through in a minute,

jrosen wrote: »
    all checked on baggage for US bound flights comes at no extra cost.

Not sure that's necessarily true, may depend on carrier, I'd just bring the amount of luggage I'd need, if that's just carry on, that's fine, 7/8kg is enough for me for a week in the sun but I'm a bloke,

• Advertisement

Not sure that's necessarily true, may depend on carrier, I'd just bring the amount of luggage I'd need, if that's just carry on, that's fine, 7/8kg is enough for me for a week in the sun but I'm a bloke,

Aer Lingus and Delta definitely have introduced a ‘budget’ fare that doesn’t include a checked bag. The others might have as well.

Aer Lingus and Delta definitely have introduced a ‘budget’ fare that doesn’t include a checked bag. The others might have as well.

United too last time I checked

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Do not say you are on a business trip as it will only lad to more questions as regards work visas. Anyway, you aren't on a business trip, you are going to visit friends. Tell them that and you will be grand.

They will ask you questions for about 5 mins and then ask you to scan fingerprints and iris. Job done & enjoy the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Thanks for all the replies guys! So I can just tell them I'm visiting for pleasure and visiting friends over here? In relation to work, how specific are the questions if they ask that - do I have to tell them the name of the company I work for or just location/area I work in? Probably way overthinking but just curious!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Thanks for all the replies guys! So I can just tell them I'm visiting for pleasure and visiting friends over here? In relation to work, how specific are the questions if they ask that - do I have to tell them the name of the company I work for or just location/area I work in? Probably way overthinking but just curious!

Part of the ESTA application is disclosing your employment details anyway. You don't have to mention that you are visiting work colleagues though, just say friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

They will ask you questions for about 5 mins and then ask you to scan fingerprints and iris.

5 minutes? I would say the longest I've ever interacted with an agent is about 1 minute, I doubt they have the resources to quiz every traveller for that length.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I work for a US multi-national company and work in our Irish office.

If you have any doubt about your ability to confidently deal with the immigration official then what you need to do is get a letter on your company stationary which states that you are a permanent employee employed since (start date), that you are scheduled to take vacation from xxx to yyyy dates and that you are expected to resume your duties on return.

Get your boss to sign it and bring it with you. Then when the official asks you for the purpose of your trip, say you are going to the US on vacation and hand over the letter. You will be waved through.

Been there, done that - literally.

Do not say you are on a business trip as it will only lad to more questions as regards work visas.

ESTA covers you to visit under the Visa Waiver Program which does permit travel for short business trips......

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP), administered by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in consultation with the State Department, permits citizens of 38 countries to travel to the United States for business or tourism for stays of up to 90 days without a visa

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Just say it's a leisure trip. If they ask what you do, the position should be fine - no need to mention the company unless they ask.

Have proof of your return ticket! I didn't have mine before because the phone/website were crap, and I had to wait another forty minutes for extra screening (where the second guy then just instantly let me through).

I always avoid checking a bag whenever possible, but I'm a guy and can only wear a finite amount of clothes in 5 days.

Ficheall wrote: »
    Just say it's a leisure trip. If they ask what you do, the position should be fine - no need to mention the company unless they ask.

:confused:

If you work for a US multinational like Google, Pfizer, Dell, Facebook, HP, IBM etc. then you absolutely should mention the company. And show your work ID badge to the official.

The point being that you have a good job here so you are not travelling to the US to work illegally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

3. I'm flying to Austin with a layover in New York. When I get to New York, will I also have to go through security there? I understand I will be going through pre-clearance in Dublin first.

Your flight will be treated similarly to a domestic arrival in New York. Since you have already cleared security, customs, and immigration in Dublin, you will not have to go through security again. You can go straight to the gate for your connecting flight.
    When I arrive in Austin, will there be security checks there?

No. Your New York to Austin flight will be a domestic flight. You can just exit the airport as normal.

Your flight will be treated similarly to a domestic arrival in New York. Since you have already cleared security, customs, and immigration in Dublin, you will not have to go through security again. You can go straight to the gate for your connecting flight.

+1 there will be no customs or immigration to worry about when the OP arrives in JFK.

But if the OP has to change terminal in JFK, he will have to do security again prior to boarding the flight to Austin.

Not sure if he can stay airside (inside security) if the Austin flight is from the same terminal, I've never made a connection in JFK.

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 there will be no customs or immigration to worry about when the OP arrives in JFK.

But if the OP has to change terminal in JFK, he will have to do security again prior to boarding the flight to Austin.

Not sure if he can stay airside (inside security) if the Austin flight is from the same terminal, I've never made a connection in JFK.

I know Aer Lingus uses Terminal 5 at JFK and there are flights to Austin departing from Terminal 5, so no terminal change may be required. But OP should check his airline/flights in advance to see what terminal(s) will be used and check whether he'll have to go through a TSA security check in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Who's paying for the flight?

If work is - it's a work trip. Say you are going over for meetings, which you are and if asked make it clear you are not buying / selling anything - literally just meetings. Covered by ESTA. No harm to have a business card handy.

If you are paying for the flight, it's a personal trip to visit friends (who happen to be from work) - so I would class this as a holiday when asked. Covered by ESTA.

Basically - be honest.

The Customs guys are not intimidating - unless you are very easily intimidated. They can be curt but I certainly wouldn't call it anything more than that.

The visa thing usually only comes into it if you're travelling a lot to and from the US and they notice. They have been known to ask the odd unexpected question - answer confidently and honestly.

It's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

we decided that I should come visit them in a couple of months. I'm not going over to work, just visiting them.

1. As I will be going over to visit colleagues but not going over there to work in the office

2. Also, I will be staying with one of my colleagues

visiting? not working? having a sleepover with "colleagues"

come on, am i the only connecting the dots here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Stenth

Look at it like this: immigration is not interested in your holiday plans or who exactly you are going to meet. They are not going to try to catch you out on small mistakes. They want to know if you (a) will stay in the country for more than three months as an illegal immigrant, and (b) if you are in the country to work without a work visa.

Your task is not to look like that's you. Easiest way to do that is to simply tell the truth. You are in the US to visit friends. You will see them and do touristy things. Then you will go home.

Don't lie, but don't volunteer information that could be misinterpreted. You are visiting friends. Friends you met from work, maybe, but still friends. If they ask where you work, just tell them. And don't get nervous if they do, it is probably just a way to quickly check if you can afford to survive your holiday and if you are a risk for overstaying.
    Red flag answer: "I am unemployed and I don't really know what I will do here, just going to stay for three months on my own but I haven't found anywhere to stay yet."

Just to add to this, OP — if you seem nervous, and give defensive or evasive answers, you're only likely to talk yourself into trouble. Be polite and cordial, answer directly and honestly, smile and make eye contact, and you'll be fine.

You have nothing to hide, so don't act like you're up to something shifty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Hi all,

Many thanks in advance!

1. Tell them it's a work trip, because work is paying for it. They might ask who you work for, just tell them. Business travellers pass through every day. You're nothing new.

2. You need the address where you're staying. They might ask at check in too. They never verify it so you can just give them a general, X street, X town, X state.

3. Nope. You'll land in a domestic terminal. It's like a bus terminal, far more lax than here. If you booked your flights separately, you'll need to exit the airport, collect your bag and check in through security again. If you booked a connection flight (most likely) just hang around the airport terminal, or take the monorail to the right terminal. Follow the signs you can't go wrong.

4. You need to check in 90 mins before the flight. So 180 is plenty of time.

My advice is just to relax. There's hundred of people making exactly the same trip as you.
    Print out your flight and accommodation details and your ESTA just in case.

Your flight is terminal 2 most likely. So you arrive there, check in with the self service kiosk, drop your bag.

Then go thru security, walk to US preclearance.
    Go through their security then have a quick chat with the immigration officer. He'll ask you a few generic questions, why are you going, where are you staying, how long are you staying etc. He might have a picture of your checked in bag and ask you if it's yours and if you packed it.

He'll take your picture with a webcam, scan your fingerprints and off you go.

Get on plane, get off plane in JFK or wherever. Find a screen with flight info, thatll tell you your connection gate number, walk to gate, get on plane, get off plane, presto you're in Austin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Just to add to this, OP — if you seem nervous, and give defensive or evasive answers, you're only likely to talk yourself into trouble. Be polite and cordial, answer directly and honestly, smile and make eye contact, and you'll be fine.

You have nothing to hide, so don't act like you're up to something shifty.

You won't get in trouble. So long as your documents are in order you'll be fine. They're well used to people being uneasy and anxious.

You're no different to the thousands of other people they'll see that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

You tell the truth 100%. My bro and his friend were travelling with a guy who lives over there. Immigration singled out one of them and practically accused him of planning on working over there illegally. Nevermind the guy's got a great civil service job here, and a wife and 2 kids. I think this sort of escalation is a ploy to get people to incriminate themselves. So, don't fall for it.. Just be honest and don't tell a small fib to save a longer explanation because you'll trip yourself up and it will look like you're lying about everything.

E. G. I'm visiting a friend... A guy i met when he was in ireland... He visited the offices where i work.. We work together....
    It sounds like lying by omission, when you could have just said you were visiting a workmate who invited you over!

That's one of the new guidances under trump afaik. Previously immigration were told to forgive fibs because it could be people with different cultures being nervous, or trying to give perfect answers, or afraid to incriminate a friend in the US. So, there's a bit of common sense finally.

"Would I say I am on a business or a pleasure trip? Similarly, if they ask where I work, do I give the name of the company I work for?"

Of course you tell them where you work if asked... That's a dumb question.

it's clearly not a business trip if you won't be working. Be familiar with a few tourist places that you plan on seeing. Actually if your job's paying for it it's a work trip. That actually can make immigration smoother.
    So.. Do say you'll visit the office and to meet your coworkers face to face. You're allowed to work on the esta while you're there btw.

Find the address of the colleague you plan on staying with and have his phone number-you'll be entering his address info on your esta I'd assume. It's unlikely he'll be called but it's useful that he can accept a call if necessary.

For New York, as preclearance is in dublin the transfer will be like taking a domestic flight.

Arrive 3 hours early in dublin and go straight to security.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement