Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveling to US for the first time on my own - advice on US security?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies guys! So I can just tell them I'm visiting for pleasure and visiting friends over here? In relation to work, how specific are the questions if they ask that - do I have to tell them the name of the company I work for or just location/area I work in? Probably way overthinking but just curious!

I've been asked what my occupation is and then when I said it they asked me where I worked. Same for my husband. Then he chatted to me about where I work because it is a public building.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Thanks everyone for all the replies, very helpful! Work isn't actually paying for it, I actually decided to go myself to visit the colleagues and spend some time with them myself, although I probably will visit the office at some point. If they ask who I'm visiting and I say friends, is it likely they'll probe more and if so, should I just be honest and say they're from work?

Also, I plan on visiting at the end of January, although I haven't booked flights or applied for the esta. I'm not sure on turnover time, so you do think I would need more time to sort everything out? Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Just to add to the randomness of some getting stopped over others.

My wife who is an American citizen had decided to move back to the US so we submitted a request for a spousal visa for me. My application had moved on to the NVC stage (one before embassy interview) so I had clear intent to stay in the US at some point. We decided to travel out for an extended holiday of 9 weeks to makes some plans. We also decided to move our dog early so when we got to the officer and he asked if this was our luggage, there on the screen was our two suitcases and a dog kennel with a Yorkshire terrier peering out.

So visa application in with clear intent to emigrate and our dog on the screen and the officer just flagged us through, no questions as to what we would be doing for 9 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Don't bother making the trip. They took all my finger prints and brought me out back and asked stupid questions. State your business in the United States. I said I'm going on a holiday. Do you plan to overstay your visit. I said what would I want to live in that sh*t hole for. I'm only going on a holiday. This is the greatest country in the world I told him he said I never heard anybody say that, I said you know it too since you live here. This was all in Ireland at the pre-clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Thanks everyone for all the replies, very helpful! Work isn't actually paying for it, I actually decided to go myself to visit the colleagues and spend some time with them myself, although I probably will visit the office at some point. If they ask who I'm visiting and I say friends, is it likely they'll probe more and if so, should I just be honest and say they're from work?

Also, I plan on visiting at the end of January, although I haven't booked flights or applied for the esta. I'm not sure on turnover time, so you do think I would need more time to sort everything out? Thanks again!

You're not likely going to be waterboarded. They'll likely wave you through. Typical questions :
    Have you been to the US before? No
    What is your reason for visiting: tourism

I'd probably say book flights first, then esta immediately after. No idea what you mean about turnover time and no need to explain. You're not planning a return trip to mars.

Actually op i think you'll find this very useful.
    https://youtu.be/5fONXiuIg0I

• Advertisement

Hi everyone, again thanks for the helpful replies. What I mean by turnover time is how long will it take for me to get the esta rougly? And also, I plan to go for 6 days at the end of January and looking book my flights next week. Do you think two months is an adequate amount of time to plan the trip or would I need more time? Price for flights seem fairly reasonable. I also need to do currency exchange as I plan bringing cash over with me as well as card

antix80 wrote: »
    You're not likely going to be waterboarded. They'll likely wave you through. Typical questions :
    Have you been to the US before? No
    What is your reason for visiting: tourism

I'd probably say book flights first, then esta immediately after. No idea what you mean about turnover time and no need to explain. You're not planning a return trip to mars.

Actually op i think you'll find this very useful.
    https://youtu.be/5fONXiuIg0I

Thank you, that video has certainly helped a lot!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Hi everyone, again thanks for the helpful replies. What I mean by turnover time is how long will it take for me to get the esta rougly? And also, I plan to go for 6 days at the end of January and looking book my flights next week. Do you think two months is an adequate amount of time to plan the trip or would I need more time? Price for flights seem fairly reasonable. I also need to do currency exchange as I plan bringing cash over with me as well as card

I've applied for an ESTA in the airport while my wife queued to check in and it was fine. You're not applying for a visa.

You're really over thinking this. You're going on holidays. Just tell them that and enjoy it.

My company could ask me to go to the US tomorrow on a business and it's be fine.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Well played but I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Plenty sucking on this lollipop :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Brian? wrote: »
    I've applied for an ESTA in the airport while my wife queued to check in and it was fine. You're not applying for a visa.

This doesn't apply anymore - they now recommend at least 72 hours before check in.

This doesn't apply anymore - they now recommend at least 72 hours before check in.

It still applies.. Just don't rely on it. The advice is to apply asap

That was always the advice. It doesn’t mean it won’t work if you wait.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

That was always the advice. It doesn’t mean it won’t work if you wait.

What I meant to say is they no longer provide instant approval, so doing it at the airport will likely mean missing check in.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-media-release/cbp-reminds-travelers-allow-72-hours-esta

What I meant to say is they no longer provide instant approval, so doing it at the airport will likely mean missing check in.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-media-release/cbp-reminds-travelers-allow-72-hours-esta

Look, I’m not advising anyone to wait until they’re at the airport, I’m just pointing it out it can be done. But admittedly there’s a risk. In my case I had no choice, I was flying for a funeral.

The op was worried about travelling in 4 months.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Look, I’m not advising anyone to wait until they’re at the airport, I’m just pointing it out it can be done.

It can't be done any more, they no longer give anyone instant approval.

If you're at the airport and you're applying for ESTA, there is no question but that you will miss your flight.

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k12176435-US_no_longer_issuing_instant_ESTAs_allow_72_hours-Air_Travel.html

coylemj wrote: »
    It can't be done any more, they no longer give anyone instant approval.

If you're at the airport and you're applying for ESTA, there is no question but that you will miss your flight.

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k12176435-US_no_longer_issuing_instant_ESTAs_allow_72_hours-Air_Travel.html

There is a question. You’ll probably get your flight.

I have first hand experience with it. Sorry if I’m not trip advisor and you can’t trust me.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There is a question. You’ll probably get your flight.

'There is a question' :confused:

When did you get that instant approval? Because they changed the system in December 2018, following which nobody gets instant approval.
    I have first hand experience with it. Sorry if I’m not trip advisor and you can’t trust me.

OK, here's Uncle Sam himself (Dec 11, 2018) ......

WASHINGTON D.C. – U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), consistent with existing requirements, reminds international travelers using the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) for travel to the United States to apply as soon as possible but not less than 72 hours before their international flight is scheduled to depart.

Visa Waiver Program users are encouraged to apply early. Due to changes in ESTA application processing, real-time approvals will no longer be available.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,157 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

MOD: Closed. Pending PM from OP.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement