Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return to work following stress leave

Options
  • 17-11-2019 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I was out on work related stress leave for several weeks approximately 1year ago. When I returned to work my manager showed some remorse for the fact I was driven to stress. However, During that first meeting my manager despite showing a little sympathy, did not take notes, did not get me to fill out a return to work form, or anything similar. I didn't meet HR either. I only had one meeting with my manager regarding the topic. She didn't look for specific examples /reasons as to why stress was caused. In fact she threw the company line at me a couple of times. I.e. work needed to be done.
    I worked from home 1 day per week for a little while after. But basically, in the past year, my manager has not asked me how stress levels are etc. To be honest, once I was back to work a couple of weeks it was pretty much business as usual.
    In the time since, I have felt stressed a couple of times, and more so in the last 2/3 months. I have not notified my manager, as I know it's a waste of time. I have decided to leave and move on from that toxic place.

Anyhow, is it me or was my return to work a complete joke, and handled unprofessionally by my manager? BTW, I work for high profile multi-national.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Are you complaining that you weren’t fit to return to work or that your employer didn’t request a cert, a year ago? Surely if you are still there a year later, you were fit to return to work?

Did your GP say you were fit to resume your duties?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Did your employer see the doctor's certificate which said you were fit for work? If so, then they had no right really to ask about your health.

That said, they should have assessed whether there was anything they should do to reduce the chance of you getting sick again. And it was foolish of them not document this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I have not notified my manager, as I know it's a waste of time.

I hate this childish attitude.

I'm going to sound very sexist here, but you're female, aren't you?

There is this weird thing where many women expect other people to be able to read their mind.

It's the same problem which causes many women to not ask for a raise.

If you have a problem, or you want something, you need to speak up. You're an adult now.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Sorry but I think your manager played this one correctly, she isn't your therapist and is right to assume due diligence on behalf of yourself and the GP, if the latter certified you as OK to work then it should be business as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I’ve felt a bit stressed in work several times this year too, OP.

That’s life. Got past the stressy bit and I wasn’t stressed any more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

But basically, in the past year, my manager has not asked me how stress levels are etc. To be honest, once I was back to work a couple of weeks it was pretty much business as usual.

I don't think they were unprofessional. Once the GP signed you off as fit for work, it really should be "business as usual".

I'm not sure exactly what you expected here, OP?

Managers have a fine line to tread as well. Some people would react badly / feel they were being targetted if asked how their stress levels were, especially after returning from a period of stress related sick leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP here.
    My angle was merely that in cases where stress is due to work related issues, then an employer should try to understand the root of these and support an employee., and not ignore this.
    I'm not suggesting a manager mind reads, pampers the employee, or acts as a therapist.
    Since posting here, I came across info on hsa website which does talk a bit about duty of care of the employer in these instances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

OP, I find your attitude odd if not a touch immature. You seem to have expected to have your hand held on your return to work, and look on this as some type of entitlement somehow.

You mention that your boss showed remorse and sympathy when you returned. You seem to think though that should have been formal notes, forms, meetings with HR, etc. What exactly were you expecting here, I do not really get that?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Op here.
    Maybe I didn't explain myself very well. I didn't expect hand holding or a therapist when returning to work. It was more that I would have thought there to be some discussion on what it was about work that triggered the stress, which led to sick leave.
    I assumed employers should think about this, and look into this, whether it's a workload issue, or a interpersonal one such as bullying, so that this can be prevented.
    Since my original post, I saw that there is information on the Hsa website regarding duty of care on an employer, and this also covers work related stress, things they can do to prevent it etc.
    Thanks anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

OP, you have a responsibility to inform your employer of any workplace stressors - they can’t be expected to know what you don’t tell them. Have a read through the HSA information leaflets for employees, it goes through the assessments you need to make about your own situation. If your work conditions would be considered reasonable by other employees, perhaps the job just isn’t for you - there’s no shame in that. Move on if that’s what you want, but take responsibility for the elements of the situation you contributed to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

but take responsibility for the elements of the situation you contributed to.

Why don’t you share with the rest of us what those actually are...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Strumms wrote: »
    Why don’t you share with the rest of us what those actually are...

Returning to work if he/she felt unready to do so I suspect would come to mind for most people, not telling her manager that she is stressed again, and then waiting a year to criticise her employer even though her GP’s opinion was that she was well enough to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

Dav010 wrote: »
    Returning to work if he/she felt unready to do so I suspect would come to mind for most people, not telling her manager that she is stressed again, and then waiting a year to criticise her employer even though her GP’s opinion was that she was well enough to return.

Yes, all these. Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Dav010 wrote: »

She didn’t say she felt unready. She returned and tried to engage with them proactively and practically regarding her health. That was not reciprocated in terms of activity dealing with issues or facilitating a return to work that was appropriate. Poorly handled by them to say the least.

Advertisement