Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I know so wrong but please help

• 18-11-2019 3:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Okay i absolutely know i was in the wrong and I'm so so sorry and annoyed i did it i panicked! I'm a provisional driver (lived away on a research project the last 6 months came home as my grandmother died) before i left i owned my own car and was insured under me i was a provisional driver and would drive to college with my dad, i moved abroad the last 6 months as part of a research project and came home because my grandmother passed away, I got a call from my aunt who lives across from the graveyard (she is in a wheelchair) saying my mother had walked up to my grandmothers grave and was in a bad way i hoped in my car ( 10mins down the road) to go to the graveyard, have tax and insurance but no nct (have it booked though) but had no L plates either as dad was using my car while i was gone and dad was at the hospital so drove to collect mam and got stopped at a checkpoint- he pulled me in as my nct was out i tried to explain i was away and was trying to collect mam that i ran out the door didn't have my handbag or anything so said i had 10 days to produce license and nct booking to station, could i face jail time now with the new legislation, i know it was incredibly stupid i just panicked and didn't think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Prison highly unlikely. Fine very likely.

Sort the NCT as soon as possible (go up to the centre and take any time slot they offer) an sort the paperwork.

Bring every piece of paperwork for the vehicle with you to the nominated Garda station - get a receipt / reference number. Bring a copy of the death cert if you want to pull the sympathy strings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

You will not serve jail time for no NCT. Absolutely not.

A fine and penalty points will be the most of it. If you present your license and NCT booking ASAP they might scratch it, as it is an incredibly harsh situation, but you'd need to explain it in a bit more of a calm manner than you've managed to write this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 charleshardin

The advice above from both both Victor and Eire-Dearg is very sound.

There is absolutely no way you would face prison, even if the circumstances were not as sad as you relate.

However, as was correctly advised above, you should do the NCT now - or at least book it so that you have paperwork from them to show that you are taking care of the matter.

Present everything you can think of - even bring an older family member along with you to back up yuor account of the circumstances - and if you are lucky, they may even decide there and then to take no further action.

If they still proceed anyway, then get a solicitor to present your case because you seem to be all over the place with panic over it.

Meanwhile, if you can find any recent copy of the weekend Leader, you will see Road Traffic cases far far worse than yours - and nobody goes to jail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I think they want you to produce nct cert, not the booking.

No jail, but fine and points on your license for no nct.

You might just get away with your learner permit this time, unless you claimed you had full license and they took a note of that. Not sure if they will pursue it further, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Come on for gods sake! Prison for something trivial like this? Come off the stage, that is ridiculous. Sure you could beat someone to within an inch of their life in this country and not go to prison.

As said, go down to your local garda station ASAP with you learner permit and your insurance, tax and a printout of your NCT booking and you will be fine more than likely.

They will not be able to get an NCT cert within 10 days. That is an unreasonable request. Bring them the booking. If you can get it tested and a cert within 10 days then all the better. They are not going to be overly harsh on a young girl.

Tip - get someone to drop you down to the station, don't bring your own car. Or get your dad to drive you. They won't sieze your car if you don't have it with you! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Just book your NCT and bring a copy of the booking, with your license, to the station. DO NOT DRIVE YOUR CAR TO THE STATION WITH NO NCT. If you get this done asap (like tomorrow) you'll be fine. He asked for a booking confirmation not a cert

Advertisement