Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement PIR sensor - IP44 vs IP65

Options
  • 18-11-2019 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭

I've got a LED PIR light which has not been working for a number of months. I took it down at the weekend and removed the PIR sensor which was brown inside across the front of the unit.
    I re-wired the light and it works - so I just need a new PIR sensor.

I've been looking online and I see that the majority of the PIR sensors are rated as IP44.
    Is this sufficient for an external sensor? I'm aware that this rating will protect against ingress of solids larger than 1mm in diameter and water spraying at any angle.

There have been two LED PIR floodlights failures (I've not taken down the second one yet to test as I require a better ladder) but I expect it to have the same failure.
    Is it possible that this was just a bad batch or in my case should I try to fins some IP65 rated PIR sensors?
    The PIR should screw into the base of the light. Most that I see now are separate units.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Twister2

I wouldn't attempt a repair as such

I would just replace the fitting or at most a separate pir

• Registered Users Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I'm not doing a repair, I'm replacing the PIR sensor. It just fits into a hole in the base of the lamp unit and its held in place by a lock nut. It is then just a small task of connecting the wires - which is straightforward.

The question is whether IP44 units are okay - the rating would suggest they are, but are the failures due to the conditions exceeding the IP rating or more likely to be an unrelated component failure?
    They are only exposed to weather conditions - no hoses or power washers.

I'm not doing a repair, I'm replacing the PIR sensor. It just fits into a hole in the base of the lamp unit and its held in place by a lock nut. It is then just a small task of connecting the wires - which is straightforward.

The question is whether IP44 units are okay - the rating would suggest they are, but are the failures due to the conditions exceeding the IP rating or more likely to be an unrelated component failure?
    ya ok but technically that's a repair:)

IP44 is standard for PIRs

Not all IP44s are the same

For instance if you buy off eBay or even Amazon it might.not do the job at all

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

IP44 is not suitable for outdoor use in my opinion. One heavy rain shower like we have had recently and water can get in.

I'm struggling to find a replacement IP65 sensor which screws into base of unit

Looking for one like this:

s-l300.jpg

I might be better off using this one as a switched unit instead of PIR activated if I can't get a suitable sensor...

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Would silicone sealant help- or is that a bad idea? TEC 7

I was just thinking the same myself yesterday - seal around the front of the sensor before install.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

I have a box full of these so PM me if you want one........

They are standard fitment to cheap Chinese floodlights. I would recommend sealing the cover together and possibly using some small gaskets around the 3 controller knobs and they should last a little longer. Irish weather always finds a way in eventually:D

• Advertisement

Thanks - I've just pulled the trigger on an "IP65" sensor on eBay before logging back in here. I'm usre its a high quality piece of kit!
    I be taking the sealant to it before it goes up though!

Advertisement