Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant and upcoming follow ups?

Options
  • 18-11-2019 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭

Hiya everyone,

Have a good news to share :)

Our GP confirmed I am pregnant. GP said he will see me every 4 weeks and to bring urine sample on each visit.
    In the meantime GP has given us the option to choose Obstetrician of our choice if going private. But we have decided to go Public.

I am unsure how does the follow up system work and if ultrasounds are included in the maternity care?

Also, if there is a link available to read on Pregnancy Do's and Don'ts?

Looking forward to hear from you all :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Congratulations! You can self refer to your maternity hospital of choice and they will take it from there. Your booking appointment (first scan, blood tests, medical history etc.) should happen between 10-14 weeks. Hospitals vary in relation to the amount of scans you get, and some offer community midwives/Domino scheme depending on where you live, meaning less frequent hospital visits. What hospital will you be going with?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thank you so much :)

We live in Limerick city so it will be Maternity Hospital Limerick. I didn't know we could self refer to them, I will look into it now. Can we pick a particular consultant if going Public?

I will also check Domino scheme, not familiar with these terms yet :)
    Congratulations! You can self refer to your maternity hospital of choice and they will take it from there. Your booking appointment (first scan, blood tests, medical history etc.) should happen between 10-14 weeks. Hospitals vary in relation to the amount of scans you get, and some offer community midwives/Domino scheme depending on where you live, meaning less frequent hospital visits. What hospital will you be going with?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I got the below leaflet when my GP referred me for the combined care scheme. It has the visit schedule. Ultrasounds depend on the hospital. For example, some hospitals don’t offer the anomaly scan as standard. Others don’t do a 12 week scan.

Thanks so much for this info.

We have also signed combined care scheme. Next time we gonna tell our GP to refer me to the Maternity hospital. Hopefully that will give us more info!
    bee06 wrote: »
    I got the below leaflet when my GP referred me for the combined care scheme. It has the visit schedule. Ultrasounds depend on the hospital. For example, some hospitals don’t offer the anomaly scan as standard. Others don’t do a 12 week scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭New farmers wife

Your gp will refer you for Limerick, first appointment is usually 12-13 weeks, that appointment can take 3-4 hours if busy! I think there was something about 20 week scans being standard by a certain date as Limerick don't usually do 20 weeks, it's 12 and 31 week.

• Advertisement

Hey there,

Thanks for the info!
    OK so I still have another 2 months before I attend the maternity hospital. So will it be only 2 scans at week 12 and 31 in Limerick?
    Your gp will refer you for Limerick, first appointment is usually 12-13 weeks, that appointment can take 3-4 hours if busy! I think there was something about 20 week scans being standard by a certain date as Limerick don't usually do 20 weeks, it's 12 and 31 week.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kat939

Hey there,

Thanks for the info!
    OK so I still have another 2 months before I attend the maternity hospital. So will it be only 2 scans at week 12 and 31 in Limerick?

Congratulations! I've just had a baby in Limerick:) that's right, after your gp sends the referral you'll get an letter for your first appointment at 12-14 weeks which is a scan and all the 'booking' paperwork and blood tests and things like that. They'll give you a pack of info and there's a page in there with a breakdown of all the public appointments, which ones are in the hospital and which at the gp so that's handy to have. They do a growth scan at around 32 weeks too, but if you need any other scans through the pregnancy for any reason they'll arrange those, I had 4 I think.

Congratulations to you too! How is life with lil one? :)

My GP said to come again after 4 weeks, then he will refer us to the hospital. Did you go private or public? I am going public but worried they may not do scans as required, hopefully they treat all patients equally.

I am currently working and will be taking off at 6 months. How long do each visit last for at the hospital?

kat939 wrote: »
    Congratulations! I've just had a baby in Limerick:) that's right, after your gp sends the referral you'll get an letter for your first appointment at 12-14 weeks which is a scan and all the 'booking' paperwork and blood tests and things like that. They'll give you a pack of info and there's a page in there with a breakdown of all the public appointments, which ones are in the hospital and which at the gp so that's handy to have. They do a growth scan at around 32 weeks too, but if you need any other scans through the pregnancy for any reason they'll arrange those, I had 4 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kat939

Congratulations to you too! How is life with lil one? :)

My GP said to come again after 4 weeks, then he will refer us to the hospital. Did you go private or public? I am going public but worried they may not do scans as required, hopefully they treat all patients equally.

I am currently working and will be taking off at 6 months. How long do each visit last for at the hospital?

Thank you - life is busy and sleep deprived but great;) I was public and would recommend it to anyone! Everyone gets at least those 2 scans but you will get more if needed for any reason. They don't do an anomaly scan (the 20 week 'big' scan) as standard in Limerick but they will do one if you have any particular risk factors or you can go private to get one if you wanted to. Appointments can really vary - I was in and out in an hour a few times, but other days it could take 2 or 3 hours - it's impossible to predict it. Hope everything goes well for you and you enjoy your pregnancy:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭New farmers wife

I think in Limerick it depends on which day your antenatal clinic is on. I've been in and out in an hour so many times and I had Wednesday clinic. I think the key is when you go in take a number for bloods! I went public in Limerick and couldn't fault it at all, you can always pay for a private scan in one of the places that does scans. I've had my 3 in Limerick, number 3 was only born 2 weeks ago and everyone was so nice in there.

• Advertisement

Thank you Kat and Newfarmerwife :)

Looking forward to get first scan done.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Folks, I might merge this thread with the helpful links and information sticky at the top of this page. It's been on my to-do list for a while, as there are a lot of repeat threads on pregnancy appointment schedules and the like.

Thank you Shesty, I hope I will be following the new thread automatically or if not for technical reasons could you please provide the link?
    shesty wrote: »
    Folks, I might merge this thread with the helpful links and information sticky at the top of this page. It's been on my to-do list for a while, as there are a lot of repeat threads on pregnancy appointment schedules and the like.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yes I will look at it tonight when I am not on the phone.

Advertisement