Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dual band powerline adapter

• 18-11-2019 2:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭

Hi

I currently have 2 tp powerline adapters in use in the sitting room. One is plugged into the router and the other near the tv to give an ethernet connection.

The 5ghz band is weak upstairs and I was thinking of adding another tp adapter upstairs to increase the strength of the wifi 2.5 and 5ghz signals.

Can anyone recommend one on amazon that would be in and around €20/30?

I see ones for under €20 but I don't think they are dual band.

I want to connect different devices to each band.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You wont get them that cheap. Even old single band AV500s are going for €50.

Wait for Cyber Monday/Black Friday or up the budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

If my existing adapters are just single band will a dual band powerline adapter upstairs not carry the 5ghz band. I presume I need a dual band one at the router too?

It would be very handy to have a dns service running on the 5ghz band.

Mixing two things.

If your downstairs one is AV200 then your network is AV200 limited (maybe 50Mb). That's higher on the food chain than WiFi speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Would a wifi booster be a better solution.
    2ghz is quite good upstairs but 5ghz is pretty non existent.

Powerlines("homeplugs") are a far stronger solution in most homes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Would a wifi booster be a better solution.
    2ghz is quite good upstairs but 5ghz is pretty non existent.

Do you need 5ghz upstairs? Even with a high quality power adaptor that supports 5ghz or a repeater it will possibly still be slower than the current 2.4ghz if you have a reasonable signal upstairs.

Advertisement