Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cola for my toddler

Options
  • 18-11-2019 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi
    My 15 month old boy has been sick with tonsillitis and croup. At another visit to the GP after his temperature soared and he was vomiting along with diarrhoea,the GP advised us to give him a couple of mm of cola. I know when we were young (from 4/5 up) we would be given flat 7up. Has anyone ever been told this. Seems very strange for a GP to say this.
    Thanks

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

aok9000, I have moved your post to the Newborn and Toddler forum so that more parents might see this and offer some advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭freida

I've been told there is so much sugar in normal coke that there is an ingredient in it to stop you from vomiting. Which would be your bodies natural reaction to that much sugar. So perhaps that is why the gp suggested it. If your not happy to give it. Don't. If you do give it brush your childs teeth if possible

Here is an extract from the telegraph

Based on research by health writer Wade Meredith, it explains that a 330ml can of Coca Cola contains so much sugar, your body should vomit - but the phosphoric acid "cuts the flavor", helping you keep the liquid down. After 40 minutes, your blood sugar has spiked, your pupils dilated, and your blood pressure has risen.Jul 30, 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

It is probably an old fashioned way to replace electrolytes. I most definitely would question the GP and wouldn't be giving my toddler Coke. Get Dioralyte or something similar (obviously checking that you can give it based on your child's age).

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭freida

Irrespective of the coke at 15 months I'd be keeping a very close eye on your childs fluid intake.try and keep a record of it. And get as much fluids in as possible. Ice pops are fluids too if he can keep them down and jelly. You can buy little pots in the supermarket

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Monkey2019

Last year my little fella (18 months at the time) had really bad tonsillitus and wouldnt eat anything for us the doctor in the hospital suggested some 7up and jellies to get some sugar in his system.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

My sister's little one had a terrible dose of gastro last year, age 2.Temple St recommended Petits Filous yoghurts, when she wouldn't take dioralyte.Gets the sugar into them apparently.Myself, I use Robinsons No Added Sugar with water for doses like that.Temple St also suggested to me in september to add the Robinsons to Dioralyte to get it into them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dekey

Crumlin hospital recommended half water half apple juice, it has the same effect as dioralyte but kids will actually drink the apple juice coz it's a much nicer taste

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

doesnt matter what you give as long as theyre taking it!
    cola is sweet so probably why he recommended it.
    if he had recommended 7up who wouldnt have blinked. same sugar content. important they get a little bit if sugar as otherwise might go hypo. no sugar in sugar free drinks so i wouldnt use them.
    but something sweer so theyll actually take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Have heard this from both a GP abroad (Spanish holiday) and a pharmacist here so I wouldn't be hugely skeptical. As others have said, probably aimed at keeping fluids up

Advertisement