Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GoMo Data speed throttling after 80gb of data used

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭cencglob

fritzelly wrote: »

2-3 months from initiation to boards decision and law change, quick and effective.

Think they can hide behind the lie I've already described only because they later admit the lie. - Think again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

cencglob wrote: »
    2-3 months from initiation to boards decision and law change, quick and effective.

Think they can hide behind the lie I've already described only because they later admit the lie. - Think again.

Quote the law change then!
    There is no lie only your stupidity in not reading the T&C and expecting something unreasonable for 10 euro a month

Quote the law change then!
    There is no lie only your stupidity in not reading the T&C and expecting something unreasonable for 10 euro a month

and spell out who I am....:pac:

now enough of you and the other shills whataboutisim.

and spell out who I am....:pac:

now enough of you and the other shills whataboutisim.

Thought it was a friend, seven degrees of seperation and all that would take some working out to find you out
    Anyway back to the cave for you.

Look up shills and whataboutisim in the dictionary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

This is moronic. One man's crusade to squeeze a company that for once is actually offering great value. Jaysus, give it a rest will you.

JDxtra wrote: »
    This is moronic. One man's crusade to squeeze a company that for once is actually offering great value. Jaysus, give it a rest will you.

The sort of person every customer support agent hates and recommends to be cut off
    No company is obliged to provide any service to anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭Jeff2

The sort of person every customer support agent hates and recommends to be cut off
    No company is obliged to provide any service to anyone

It is up to the provider to check to usage and if a customer gets around it by clearing Cache or something them it's the providers fault.

There is no way to check your usage on GoMo.

JDxtra wrote: »

"squeeze"

Nope, I 'm not interesting in "squeezing" Eir, they are getting away with the same on their Eir brand too, whats next they will jack the price up to 29.99 per month, and claim that by "life" they mean the life of the average phone, or average life a 1900mhz signal freely traveling into outer space and not of a human being.

Simple fact is they are lying only to correct their lie in the small print.

I don't want to "squeeze" Eir only to get them to act honestly.
    Thats honestly in their BS advertisement without the need to have to read "alternative facts" on the definition of unlimited.

Unlimited means without ANY limit. Understand?

Jeff2 wrote: »
    It is up to the provider to check to usage and if a customer gets around it by clearing Cache or something them it's the providers fault.

There is no way to check your usage.

First sentence makes no sense
    Every phone has a data counter, you get a text at 80% usage. If you are using 80 +GB a month you are not a normal user and should move to another provider charging more for more

First sentence makes no sense
    Every phone has a data counter, you get a text at 80% usage. If you are using 80 +GB a month you are not a normal user and should move to another provider charging more for more

So I'll put my Sim in another phone tomorrow and check usage.

I wouldn't use any where 20gb a month never mind 80gb.

• Advertisement

So I'll put my Sim in another phone tomorrow and check usage.

I wouldn't use any where 20gb a month never mind 80gb.

I'm not sure what you're point is???

I'm not sure what you're point is???

If you can't check your data usage then how can GoMo check it.

If they are going by your phone then that can be cleared by the phone owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Unlimited means without ANY limit. Understand?

Unlimited is not absolute, the same way as free speech doesn't mean you can say whatever you like or freedom to protest means you can't simply go out and block traffic on your Street adhoc.

Comreg is very clear about this and you're just being contrary.

"
    A number of telephone and broadband packages are described as ‘unlimited’. In this context, the word ‘unlimited’ would normally be taken to mean that a consumer, having agreed to pay a set price, may make as many calls or spend as much time online as h/she wishes. However, some service contracts qualify the meaning of ‘unlimited’ by stating that it is subject to an ‘acceptable’ or ‘fair’ level of use by the consumer. This is sometimes referred to as a “fair usage policy”.

We advise you that any contract which sets usage thresholds, or describes what constitutes ‘fair’ or ‘acceptable’ use, should be clear and unambiguous, particularly where the service is described as being ‘unlimited’. Usage thresholds or limits should be clearly set out, as should the manner in which they are updated or amended.
    "

They cant check your phone lol

They cant check your phone lol

So they can't check usage on your phone.

But can check usage while using your phone.?

They have to have access to to your phone to know what data is used.

Take the tinfoil hat off, they measure what data you request from their servers

Unlimited is not absolute, the same way as free speech doesn't mean you can say whatever you like or freedom to protest means you can't simply go out and block traffic on your Street adhoc.

Comreg is very clear about this and you're just being contrary.

"
    A number of telephone and broadband packages are described as ‘unlimited’. In this context, the word ‘unlimited’ would normally be taken to mean that a consumer, having agreed to pay a set price, may make as many calls or spend as much time online as h/she wishes. However, some service contracts qualify the meaning of ‘unlimited’ by stating that it is subject to an ‘acceptable’ or ‘fair’ level of use by the consumer. This is sometimes referred to as a “fair usage policy”.

We advise you that any contract which sets usage thresholds, or describes what constitutes ‘fair’ or ‘acceptable’ use, should be clear and unambiguous, particularly where the service is described as being ‘unlimited’. Usage thresholds or limits should be clearly set out, as should the manner in which they are updated or amended.
    "

Unlimited is absolute.

It is without ANY limit.

If Eir want to sell a product with a strict defined limit that is what should be advertised.

80 GB data plan. No limit to 80GB, Eat as much of 80GB as you can...etc.

Unlimited is Unlimited no alternative facts will change that.

Sell Unlimited or Sell 80GB, they are different products.

We all know whats going on here, some wankiteer here and in Eirs own mobile thought they pull a fast one and do like 3 are doing with their "all you can eat", to eat into 3's market, only that they would dishonour the unlimited claim by a tiny asterix to read the small print.
    You and I can get it, but not everyone, thats something that the scumbags who hide the limits play on, usually on the weaker in society.

Advertising should be clear and honest, that's not whats going on here.
    This kind of lowlife scumbag BS by slime bags with little conscious needs to be stopped every time and not allowed to perpetuate across society.

Don't want clear and honest advertising ? or do you really want a world where you have to read the fine print and pages of T&C's in every product and service you buy to see how you might get shafted? Eir/Gomo today etc ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Unlimited is absolute.

It is without ANY limit.

So in an unlimited buffet at a restaurant, you could walk in, take plates of food, eat it, regurgitate and continue on regardless?

Because, you know, unlimited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

A broadband provider doesn't need anything from you or anyone's device to measure your data consumption. They do it at source. Since they are the 'data provider'...

• Advertisement

You obviously don't know how it works. Data usage is measured at source. Each device connects with a unique identifier. So each devices' usage is measured and collected at their end. They need nothing from your device.

https://www.finder.com/how-is-my-mobile-data-counted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

This is why we can't have nice things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I worry for society - some of the stuff being said here is ridiculous.

So in an unlimited buffet at a restaurant, you could walk in, take plates of food, eat it, regurgitate and continue on regardless?

Because, you know, unlimited.

If a restaurant advertised that that was what they were offering then yes of course that could happen.

How many times do you think that happens?
    How many times do you think people have gone over the 2.6GB per day/ 80 GB pm Eir/Gomo limit? - and what % of those are here on boards talking about it?

A restaurant wold have to factor in people of all types coming into eat, not just the average but account for outliers and extreme.
    You'd have to be the dumb business owner not to think that some days you'd have office works in, and other days you might have a bus load of rugby players etc...
    Sell what you advertise or advertise what you sell.- Simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Look it's on the home page that fair usage terms and conditions apply.
    Do you really need more than that?
    Screenshot-20191205-133703-01.jpg

Reality

Screenshot-20191205-133703-01-2.jpg

• Advertisement

Where does it say unlimited?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

I’m on three and download entire series through my phone tethering.
    And their limit is 15g a month
    How in gods Name are you doing over 80gig??

We've moved house and we were testing 4G broadband by tethering. It was being used by phones, tv, tablets, consoles. Lasted 2 weeks in fairness, which is much longer than I thought it would.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭robbiep958

lawred2 wrote: »
    Where does it say unlimited?

Right down near the end of the page https://gomo.ie/about-gomo/

robbiep958 wrote: »
    Right down near the end of the page https://gomo.ie/about-gomo/

Is it not unlimited?
    Just it's throttled after 80gigs.

blade1 wrote: »
    Is it not unlimited?
    Just it's throttled after 80gigs.

People dont get this - and never will,
    They should contact comreg and/or read the terms and conditions of these things a bit more closely.

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    They should contact comreg and/or read the terms and conditions of these things a bit more closely.

There's the best advice yet.
    Read the terms.

Reality

Screenshot-20191205-133703-01-2.jpg

No, reality :P

cencglob
    giphy.gif

The T&C's don't excuse the advertisement from being a lie.

Thats what you and "some people" don't get.

80GB is not "unlimited"

0.2mbs form 80-82GB is not "useable".

After 82Gb the connection is switched to a not data 2G connection only.

This is an absolute termination pdf service not just a "may be limited"

This is marketing BS, not straight and clear advertising.

80GB is not "unlimited"

For someone on about marketing bs you got caught out very easily.

80GB is not "unlimited"

Whats' your problem? I amn't seeing it.

Try reading my posts before you mouth off, Ive not been caught out at all, I'm concerned about others who may be easily duped by lies from slimy marketing goons.

They are more concerned about older people, and those less tech savy.

Try reading my posts before you mouth off, Ive not been caught out at all, I'm concerned about others who may be easily duped by lies from slimy marketing goons.

Have you contacted ComReg - because that's the only thing that will make any difference, if it does.
    (you've been given some advise on this earlier)

Have you contacted ComReg - because that's the only thing that will make any difference, if it does.

Comreg is not the only option, as I've said already I have another more effective way, something proven and quick, and as soon as I've the time I'll be into it.

Comreg is not the only option, as I've said already I have another more effective way, something proven and quick, and as soon as I've the time I'll be into it.

And what is the intended end result of this intervention?

• Advertisement

with all the time you've spent on here whinging you'd have completed this other course of action

Rather than go through all your posts it was easier to get up to speed this way ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Bawnmore wrote:
    We've moved house and we were testing 4G broadband by tethering. It was being used by phones, tv, tablets, consoles. Lasted 2 weeks in fairness, which is much longer than I thought it would.

Have you tried the Three PAYG phone SIM? This has a FUP of 60GB but they don't seem to throttle it if exceeded. Three don't support tethering but don't stop you from doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

Gooser14 wrote: »
    Have you tried the Three PAYG phone SIM? This has a FUP of 60GB but they don't seem to throttle it if exceeded. Three don't support tethering but don't stop you from doing it.
    I think I mentioned that Three PAYG €20 per month SIM earlier in this thread. I've never heard of anyone being throttled for exceeding the 60 GB limit, although they reserve the right to do so if it interferes with other users of the network. The phraseology of their terms and conditions in this regard is almost identical to that of Eir and Gomo.
    I know two people in rural areas who are unable to get more than 3 Mbps via a fixed line and who use about 200 GB per month with the Three SIM in a modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Got my sim today, internet seems to working, 0.59 download 0.03 upload , impressive! (Rural)

Edit: just tried again 1.73 download ,0.01 upload,things are on the up.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Got my sim today, internet seems to working, 0.59 download 0.03 upload , impressive! (Rural)

Edit: just tried again 1.73 download ,0.01 upload,things are on the up.
    That's pretty much useless. Presumably you'll ditch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Lissavane wrote: »
    That's pretty much useless. Presumably you'll ditch it.
    Have'nt ported over yet,was trying on another phone first, lucky i did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

I was throttled during the end of November but my bill for this period only shows 51gb data usage. My device at the time only showed 49 GB usage so I was surprised when I got the messages to say I'd reached 80% and 100% of my limit. I thought my device was just inaccurate at the time. I will be on to them today. I'm pretty mad that I was throttled to an extent that I couldn't use the Internet at all when I had only reached 62% of my data allowance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

I was throttled during the end of November but my bill for this period only shows 51gb data usage. My device at the time only showed 49 GB usage so I was surprised when I got the messages to say I'd reached 80% and 100% of my limit. I thought my device was just inaccurate at the time. I will be on to them today. I'm pretty mad that I was throttled to an extent that I couldn't use the Internet at all when I had only reached 62% of my data allowance.

If you joined Gomo in the middle of the month, they might have reduced the allowances pro rata

https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111644554&postcount=209

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

Ten Pin wrote: »
    If you joined Gomo in the middle of the month, they might have reduced the allowances pro rata

https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111644554&postcount=209

I did, it was the 14th when I received my sim. The bill is for the full amount though. On chat, they never said anything about it being pro rata.

Advertisement