Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GoMo Data speed throttling after 80gb of data used

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭99nsr125

DopeTech wrote: »
    Could be an issue in your area too.

Found out from a telecoms friend capacity issues
    mean throttling

If you find your voicecalls not connecting step down to 2G from autoselect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

madmoe wrote: »
    Any chance GoMo will remove the 80GB cap due to the Coronavirus? I will have to work from home soon and use a GoMo SIM in a wireless router. The cap will be an issue!

Cheers,
    M

It's not meant for heavy use. But depending on your line of work, you should go nowhere near 80Gb for emails, web based working & a few Skype calls per day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

JDxtra wrote: »
    It's not meant for heavy use. But depending on your line of work, you should go nowhere near 80Gb for emails, web based working & a few Skype calls per day.

I sometimes need to use VPN and Remote Desktop to external servers. Work bought me a Huawei Y6, a Three SIM with 28 days credit and an Eir SIM with a top up that can be activated once the Three SIM goes over 28 days. I'm getting great speeds connected to the Three SIM in the Y6 (wireless hotspot).

Might move the Three SIM into the wireless router once GoMo hits 80GB for this month.

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Ladyinthedark

Here is my problem I’m letting my son use my mobile with the go
    Mo sim since last Thursday he has a PS4 and gaming computer it’s works brilliant and let’s us stream downstairs
    Will I be charged extra for the usage ??
    Is there a better sim plan payg that he can use just for him ??
    Or would I be better going to that company that puts the sim in that box that connects to the mast three kilos away??
    I thought I had solved all the issues with internet in the house but said I better check fair usage as I was ordering another sim just for his computer s
    All advice welcome

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

You won't be charged extra but your internet could become effectively unusable for the rest of the month if you manage to burn through the 80GB monthly allowance before the end of each calendar month.

You could order another GoMo SIM to provide an extra 80GB allowance as it's cheap as chips and you know it'll work.

Alternatively, you could try a Three prepay SIM as that'll give you an unlimited data allowance but, as it's a different network to GoMo, you've no guarantee you'll get a decent internet connection at your address unless you've prior experience with them.

Quackster wrote: »
    You won't be charged extra but your internet could become effectively unusable for the rest of the month if you manage to burn through the 80GB monthly allowance before the end of each calendar month.

You could order another GoMo SIM to provide an extra 80GB allowance as it's cheap as chips and you know it'll work.

Alternatively, you could try a Three prepay SIM as that'll give you an unlimited data allowance but, as it's a different network to GoMo, you've no guarantee you'll get a decent internet connection at your address unless you've prior experience with them.

There is two three masts in my area would you think that might be an option and is there a sim out there that’s 20/30 euro a month that would provide unlimited with no fair usage thanks

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

There is two three masts in my area would you think that might be an option and is there a sim out there that’s 20/30 euro a month that would provide unlimited with no fair usage thanks

That should be an option so but you can only be certain by trying it out. The regular Three prepay plan gives you unlimited data for €20 top-up. It normally has a fair-usage cap of 60GB but that has never been enforced and the cap has been officially lifted now anyway for the duration of the lockdown.

Unfortunately, with shops closed, the only option is to order a SIM from the Three website and you could be waiting longer than normal as it sounds like they have a bit of a backlog fulfilling online orders.

Quackster wrote: »
    That should be an option so but you can only be certain by trying it out. The regular Three prepay plan gives you unlimited data for €20 top-up. It normally has a fair-usage cap of 60GB but that has never been enforced and the cap has been officially lifted now anyway for the duration of the lockdown.

Unfortunately, with shops closed, the only option is to order a SIM from the Three website and you could be waiting longer than normal as it sounds like they have a bit of a backlog fulfilling online orders.

Thank you

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Found out from a telecoms friend capacity issues
    mean throttling

If you find your voicecalls not connecting step down to 2G from autoselect

To add to this I have lost 4G data, it says it's connected but no data service in reality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭banchang

How are people hitting 80GB/month usage - I can’t understand how anyone could use that much ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭DopeTech

banchang wrote: »
    How are people hitting 80GB/month usage - I can’t understand how anyone could use that much ?

Usually only people that use it as a hotspot would. There would be exceptions though like people who watch/download 4k content a lot or download torrents frequently to their phones.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

banchang wrote: »

Very easy if its your mobile hotspot. The likes of the RTE Player uses a savage amount of data maybe 2GB an hour. They have improved the speeds after hitting the 80GB. Previously it was just unusable but during the pandemic it is still useable. Not for HD streaming but everyday stuff and YouTube in 480 setting it works fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

kn wrote: »
    Very easy if its your mobile hotspot. The likes of the RTE Player uses a savage amount of data maybe 2GB an hour. They have improved the speeds after hitting the 80GB. Previously it was just unusable but during the pandemic it is still useable. Not for HD streaming but everyday stuff and YouTube in 480 setting it works fine.

Any idea of what the new throttle speeds are? Haven't hit the limit in a few months but useful to know.

Jim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

And almost as easy to avoid hitting 80gb.
    I use mine as a mobile hotspot and never reach 80gb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Wouldn't watching Netflix on your phone hit that cap over the course of a month?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Wouldn't watching Netflix on your phone hit that cap over the course of a month?

Put it on standard definition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

blade1 wrote: »
    Put it on standard definition.

Ah yeah, not too worried about it myself. I just tether my ipad to the phone when I'm doing a few hours on the treadmill, gives me something to take my mind off the exercise. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Anyone using sim routers, what are ye using?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Can you text GoMo to find out how much data you have used? My Router is telling me I've hit the 80gb limit, but it still seems to be hitting the standard speeds. Would like to get an accurate reading from GoMo in case I'm going to be throttled in the next few days.

Can you text GoMo to find out how much data you have used? My Router is telling me I've hit the 80gb limit, but it still seems to be hitting the standard speeds. Would like to get an accurate reading from GoMo in case I'm going to be throttled in the next few days.

Set up your phone to calculate data used from the 1st of the month. Its pretty accurate on mine.

• Advertisement

It'll slow down soon. My phone got to about 84gb before the speeds decreased but maybe the phone is not 100% accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 13 colmmcgettrick

Found this discussion as I was trying to find out on mygomo account how much data I had left of my 80gig quota,

To circumvent this, I got two of these Sims, and placed one into a WiFi dongle, the other in my phone.

160gig of data and phone for 20e is I think a pretty good deal.

Other networks have in the past left me with huge bills when a quota was breached, so I appreciate the throttling.

But I still need to check my recent data usage as watching Netflix on 4k TV, eats data to quickly.

GoMo seem to have abandoned the throttling. I have gone over the 80GB since yesterday and I am getting a 7MB download. They might have been losing customers to 3 with their unlimited data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭paddy19

GoMo seem to have abandoned the throttling. I have gone over the 80GB since yesterday and I am getting a 7MB download. They might have been losing customers to 3 with their unlimited data.

You can probably thank Covid for the lack of throttling.

Technically supposed to finish 30 June...

3. Fair usage policies will not be automatically applied to unlimited fixed and mobile data packages.

Former Minister Bruton:
    “These commitments will make sure that all major providers are responding to this increased reliance, providing extra capacity where needed and ensuring people have the services they need to stay connected. These are common commitments and some operators may choose to offer extra services to their customers.”

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/broadband-ireland-wifi-coronavirus-covid19

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Laura99

I have went over and haven't been throttled, never even received a text to say I've reached 80%/100% of my allowance but my partner has and has been slowed down. Not really sure what's happening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

When does the month reset is it when you get your bill

Does the app have a data monitor on it cant get it to work

naughto wrote: »
    When does the month reset is it when you get your bill

Does the app have a data monitor on it cant get it to work

First of the month.

paddy19 wrote: »
    You can probably thank Covid for the lack of throttling.

Technically supposed to finish 30 June...

3. Fair usage policies will not be automatically applied to unlimited fixed and mobile data packages.

Former Minister Bruton:
    “These commitments will make sure that all major providers are responding to this increased reliance, providing extra capacity where needed and ensuring people have the services they need to stay connected. These are common commitments and some operators may choose to offer extra services to their customers.”

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/broadband-ireland-wifi-coronavirus-covid19

I was aware of that but last month it was throttled to 1MB download which was an improvement to the unuseable level previously when you went over. But this time there did not appear to be any throttling whatsoever and I was getting 7MB.

I was aware of that but last month it was throttled to 1MB download which was an improvement to the unuseable level previously when you went over. But this time there did not appear to be any throttling whatsoever and I was getting 7MB.

Comreg and the industry agreed not to enforce data limits automatically
    during Covid.

Supposed to end on 31 June but probably will run for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 blondie uuuu

The 3G from Go Mo AFTER 80GB when they restrict your 4G is better than eir broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bozharry1

Was using Alexa and a total of 2 hrs Netflix while camping and hit the 80 gig limit.The Alexa was playing white noise and radio during the day.I don’t understand how I have hit my limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Comreg and the industry agreed not to enforce data limits automatically
    during Covid.

Supposed to end on 31 June but probably will run for a while.

If it runs until 31 June then it will definitely continue for a very long time!

bozharry1 wrote: »
    Was using Alexa and a total of 2 hrs Netflix while camping and hit the 80 gig limit.The Alexa was playing white noise and radio during the day.I don’t understand how I have hit my limit.

How much data does your phone say you used and what does it say is the breakdown of that data?

How much data does your phone say you used and what does it say is the breakdown of that data?

Can someone direct me to the interactive chat,

I've no 4G and haven't had it for months

Mr.S wrote: »
    Something else is using your data. Music streaming and 2 hours of Netflix wouldn't hit 80GB in 24 hours.

Yes I can’t Understand it.The phone was set up as a hot spot and I had the Netflix turned to lo bit rate.I was camping in Tralee last week and got a msg saying I had hit 60gig We are camping again this weekend and the 3 year old turned on Netflix for 30 mins and we had today Fm playing during the night on Alexa and when we woke up we had hit our limit.so they are saying we used 20 gig last night alone?

Can someone direct me to the interactive chat,

I've no 4G and haven't had it for months
    Data used last night alone was 20 gb.About 45 mins of Netflix.Then today Fm on Alexa trough the night.

Yes I can’t Understand it.The phone was set up as a hot spot and I had the Netflix turned to lo bit rate.I was camping in Tralee last week and got a msg saying I had hit 60gig We are camping again this weekend and the 3 year old turned on Netflix for 30 mins and we had today Fm playing during the night on Alexa and when we woke up we had hit our limit.so they are saying we used 20 gig last night alone?

Like I said, how much data does your phone say you used and what does it say is the breakdown of that data?

Like I said, how much data does your phone say you used and what does it say is the breakdown of that data?

I have a hotspot setup.Thats what used the data.All the other apps are using mbs.The hotspot used 20 gb last night with Alexa and 40 mins of Netflix at lowest setting.Gomo said they are looking into it.

I have a hotspot setup.Thats what used the data.All the other apps are using mbs.The hotspot used 20 gb last night with Alexa and 40 mins of Netflix at lowest setting.Gomo said they are looking into it.

If your phone says you used 20gb then you used 20gb. Gomo can't alter that.

• Advertisement

Yeah my point is that if both your phone and Gomo are agreeing that you hit your 80GB limit then you did. Streaming in 1080p uses about 2GB per hour and you might have had a Windows update downloading in the background or something.

Went over 80GB this month.

Throttled down to 5MB.

Throttle removed at 1 minute after midnight on 1st of October.

Seems very fair to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭christy c

Went over 80GB this month.

Throttled down to 5MB.

Throttle removed at 1 minute after midnight on 1st of October.

Seems very fair to me.

Yep, haven't gone over yet but 5mb would be fine for browsing if I ever did.

christy c wrote: »
    Yep, haven't gone over yet but 5mb would be fine for browsing if I ever did.

Was throttled once I hit 20gb

After 6 months of back and forth I left

GoMo are shîte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Was throttled once I hit 20gb

After 6 months of back and forth I left

GoMo are shîte

Good man yourself.

I've gone way over the 80% threshold this month and am approaching the 80GB but no text from GoMo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

I've gone way over the 80% threshold this month and am approaching the 80GB but no text from GoMo.

have they not extended it to 120Gb's? Or is that just for new accounts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Yup
    6.4 The fair usage threshold in relation to data usage for the SIM Only Service is 120GB. Should your data usage exceed 120GB in a billing cycle and we consider that other users are likely to be adversely affected, we reserve the right reduce your speeds . We continuously monitor network performance to ensure that the SIM Only Service received by you is not impacted through a minority of users placing high demand on network resources (e.g. large bandwidths over long periods).

Great. Wasn't aware of that. Thanks.

Advertisement