Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a car up north with no mot history

• 18-11-2019 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

So found a good deal up north for a 2012 seat exeo. Has full service history and low enough milage but when trying to check its mot history using the gov.uk site its showing up as not recorded? Would it be a bit dodgy or is this common?
    Link to the car:
    https://www.usedcarsni.com/2012-Seat-Exeo-SE-TECH-TDI-CR-257720531

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭The11Duff

Run away. Very fast

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Dkhuts

The11Duff wrote: »
    Run away. Very fast

How come?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭gipi

If you're using the Gov.uk site to check for an MOT, note it only has details for tests carried out in England, Scotland and Wales.

gipi wrote: »
    If you're using the Gov.uk site to check for an MOT, note it only has details for tests carried out in England, Scotland and Wales.

Would there be any sites where i could check NI cars history? All of the car check sites display no MOT history even though the car is taxed and MOTd

The gov website says it has an not until April 2020 so it's strange they don't have a record of the last one.

• Advertisement

The gov website says it has an not until April 2020 so it's strange they don't have a record of the last one.

Fault in the system or would you say the car is a dodgy buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

gipi wrote: »

That's not actually correct, it has details for all of the UK vehicles, I've just checked twice.

I've checked that cars reg OP, it;s taxed until May 2020 and has an MOT until 17 April 2020.

Use https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-status to double check for yourself.

You cannot get MOT history for any car MOT'd in NI.
    You can get the MOT status but not the history.
    Do a HPI check, it won't show MOT history but may show up something else

That site only shows current MOT status as well, it won't show previous MOT dates as that is irrelevant as it holds a valid MOT at present

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Well it's MOTd until April 2020, so there has to be a record somewhere, so don't mind the panic merchants just yet. Ask the garage about it, they'd be in a better position to find out.

• Advertisement

Dkhuts wrote: »
    Fault in the system or would you say the car is a dodgy buy?

Didn't realise that they didn't have records for NI. Just ring the seller and ask him has he get the paperwork for the 3 years he has it. It has a valid MOT so surely that's legit

If you want previous mileage at testing DVA Enquiries will be able to sort you out on 0300 200 7861

OSI wrote: »
    I can pretty much guarantee that car has had the absolute bollocks ridden off it.

What makes you say that?

Was brought over from England in 2013 so had a plate transfer. No finance or accidents recorded. Your welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

OSI wrote: »
    I can pretty much guarantee that car has had the absolute bollocks ridden off it.

I'd agree, tarted up to make it look like an A4, ad reads like it was written by a chimp, and it's literally located in the home of Felt-Spec territory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What makes you say that?

It’s an Exeo in Northern Ireland so it’s pretty much gonna be hoored to death.

Lol, felt-spec:D. First I ever heard of it, but we all know the type.

It has different wheels on either side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I'd agree, tarted up to make it look like an A4, ad reads like it was written by a chimp, and it's literally located in the home of Felt-Spec territory.

Seeing as it's just a repurposed B7 A4, it's not hard.

Looks fairly standard to be fair.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Looks fairly standard to be fair.

So to take your advice youre saying to stay away because more than likely its been ragged around by some young farmer lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Jesus that's some looking shed in fairness..

So to take your advice youre saying to stay away because more than likely its been ragged around by some young farmer lad

It’s quite likely, it’s far from your typical felt-spec Exeo though.
    There are a lot of nice ones in mainland uk. And there are some really good specs too.

The thing you can’t get away from though is that the bits that Seat restyled - they made a total bags of.
    I seriously considered an Exeo so many times, I’m a big fan of the B6/B7 Audi A4, and the fact that the Exeo is one of those with modern engine and transmission (better multitronic box) , chape tax and better tech. But I just couldnt get over the bad restyle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Oops!

Those photos look like the were taken in a workshop in Draperstown...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭Mintoe

So found a good deal up north for a 2012 seat exeo. Has full service history and low enough milage but when trying to check its mot history using the gov.uk site its showing up as not recorded? Would it be a bit dodgy or is this common?
    Link to the car:
    https://www.usedcarsni.com/2012-Seat-Exeo-SE-TECH-TDI-CR-257720531

Run a motorcheck.ie report and ask them to find the ni mot mileages and dates.....they did it for me on an 11 A6 I bought in Belfast last year and they added them to my report

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What makes you say that?

looks likes it's been dropped down on those springs

wouldn't touch that

Appreciate the advice guys, gonna keep looking for another exeo so. Preferably a stock one that hasnt been messed around with judging by the feedback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Appreciate the advice guys, gonna keep looking for another exeo so. Preferably a stock one that hasnt been messed around with judging by the feedback

Good luck with the hunt, an unabused Exeo with the Sport Tech trim are a fine car

Advertisement